Trip Report *COMPLETED* No Ring (delayed), No Rivers Light, & Donald Duck’s the President

As I stir my pasta noodles for dinner, a single tear slides down my cheek. DEPRESSION. It’s cold, it’s dark, and I am home…this unfamiliar place that is not my Disney World hotel room. (PLUS WHY AM I COOKING?!) This cold Philadelphia air chills me to the core, and when I woke up this morning I contemplated chucking my cell phone out the window. I knew my alarm was waking me up for work, not to catch a Disney bus. What is this life?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY does it have to end?! The hardest part of planning, and changing your plans, and obsessing over your plans, and then finally living out your plans is the part at the end. The part where it’s all over, it’s all done, and going on a Disney website, or checking a restaurant menu is like pouring salt on an open wound.

As you can tell from my title, no I didn’t get my Disney World proposal and no I didn’t get to see Rivers of Light. Thought I would throw all the heartbreak right at you from the get go, so we can move on to happier memories. (This just means my boyfriend owes me a BIGGER diamond, and a trip back! Maybe when ROL opens?!)

I have just returned from the most fabulous trip to Disney, and I am already itching to go back. I am trying to convince someone, anyone (hello out there!) to book a weekend getaway… That’s the thing with Disney, they always leave you wanting more! Unless it’s it just something us Disney addicts feel, we are always eager for our next fix!

For those who don’t know me, I’m Nicole, and I love Disney World. I have loved Disney World for 11 years now. (This is how they start these meetings right?!)

FE835E30-2B05-42E3-AC2A-28B52A934E2B_zpssokjhylt.jpg

I was in the Disney bubble from November 4th to November 13th and it was not enough time. NOT ENOUGH TIME I TELL YOU!!! I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and fell truly, madly, and deeply in love with this BEAUTIFUL riverside resort. My last two trips have been in July and August, and I think those trips (in the summer nonetheless) were MUCH less crowded. SO MANY PEOPLE! It was the end of a race weekend, the last week of food and wine, NJ teacher convention week, and election week. One word of advice, DO NOT EVER GO AT THIS TIME! (keep rereading the go at as goat LOL)

Let’s begin!

November 4th-

Our flight was not until 5:50 PM Friday night. I originally was planning to work in the morning, but it turned out I was able to take the whole day off. Of course I woke up super early with excitement, did all my last minute packing, and then stared at the clock for hours on end. Go figure!

CFF8A16B-E3B6-415B-8571-A9DADEE5B881_zpswmtft2zw.png

This text arrived and my anxiety immediately started kicking in. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN! Will we not have room? Will they downgrade us to a tent along the riverbank? Will I have to fight off alligators and zika mosquitoes while sleeping outside? My boyfriend tried to calm my fears, and decided we should get a move on it. Airport here we come!

SEPTA was on strike (public transportation buses, etc) so of course traffic was nightmare! I tried my hardest not to freak out and bite off all my nails before even reaching Orlando.

D1CFAF7B-AB66-4105-A88F-1B71C44450D5_zpsxlfnsmus.jpg

After what seemed like forever, we made it! Hustled through security and straight for the bar!

60AE4E92-A7BF-4E19-B268-91FBF98DFA7A_zpso0ftiut2.jpg

Round 1

03FBEE83-CACE-4B42-A55A-F71944EB8276_zpsx039ncow.jpg

Round 2

4887B6FC-ABF2-4CED-B60A-A02FC82E43BE_zpsrecgid4e.jpg

Round 3—oops?

2F886687-D05C-43E1-8645-E74B01EDE1F2_zpsgob94hfj.jpg

And our first food picture of the trip! Chicken tenders! My anxiety was so high all day that I forgot to eat, and I was feeling pretty tipsy. Food is always a good idea!

We paid our tab, and decided to wait by the gate for our magical plane to Orlando! TAKE ME HOME BABY!!!

8BABCCC3-8265-48BB-BCC3-E5DAF156EA33_zpshz79ihgu.jpg

Ummm.. where is our plane?

E6D9AC7F-8DA7-4399-9AC9-733C02DC834A_zpsujuaa1nn.jpg

Come to find out our flight is delayed until 7 PM… I was too hyper and couldn’t sit still so off we went to check out the airport shops and burn off some energy.

We stumbled upon this wonderful sight, and couldn’t resist.

C1D8A85C-A69F-4490-B307-E432C68FBC09_zpsza90wlol.jpg

3C5D42D8-2A0B-4C70-9686-13BFD45EC0CC_zpswsfgeqd5.jpg

So much for trying to stay hungry to use up those quick service meals tonight!

The time ticked by soooooooooooo slowly. We watched a woman scream at the American Airlines attendant because he was making her check her bag… SCREAM. She kept threatening him, saying she was going to call Disney and tell them he ruined her trip. There was a family standing beside us, and they told the father he had to go on a later flight because they oversold the plane, and even he didn’t go as ballistic as this woman. Getting to Disney is stressful people!

Soon I was admiring this stunning view. HAPPY PLACE HERE I COME!

E5E3526E-82C9-49A4-AFFA-0B9B9CFCF22F_zpsenw2unjz.jpg

And we’re off!

5BB8E543-68A5-47FC-8F92-6138612BE98A_zps2sdvsm7r.jpg

Our flight was quick and painless, and soon the announcement came on that we arrived in Orlando!! A little boy a few rows behind us screamed out “NOOOOOOOO, we went to the wrong place! We are supposed to be in Disney World!”

I showed my boyfriend what I pro I was at maneuvering through the Orlando airport, B side, you can’t hide from me! My Mickey turned green and all my anxiety from earlier in the day melted away. The familiar aroma of the Orlando airport, the big Mickey hands waving you home, the smiling cast member’s faces, it didn’t matter if I’d be sleeping in a river, I was here!

77C06C58-A998-4E94-96FF-EF2F9C4F016E_zpspqch4zsc.jpg

Our magical express filled up quickly, and I didn’t even mind that we were one of the last stops. I soaked up that arrival feeling, the feeling that a full trip is ahead of you, that this really is the ultimate moment of beginning, that the possibilities are truly endless. Plus, it gave me more time to answer trivia questions! I think everyone on the bus thought I was psycho with the amount I got right!

714FB09D-BCC2-41CD-BB79-D7DF229D4469_zpseyas2cwx.jpg

46DF5011-04CD-4D8F-AFBA-F965D692D8E4_zpssjj7tdnn.jpg

And off we drove into the night. Even though the sign wasn’t lit up due to construction, I still felt it. The transition to being “on property”. That butterflies fluttering in your stomach feeling, when you know you’ve truly been welcomed home.

LeighM

That is so smart to request the West depot, when I stay again I will definitely ask for this! I loved Riverside sooo sooo much! I would love to try a Royal room! They look beautiful in Youtube videos! I was secretly hoping they would upgrade me to this when I got that message but oh well! There is always next time! We will get thru the post Disney blues together

After staying at Riverside 3 times previously, we determined that the proximity to the first bus stop was more important to us than the inside of the room :) Although I really did love the Royal Room!! But not only was it nice being so close to the first bus stop, but it was easy to stop by our room to get our refillable mugs and walk to the lobby. We'll definitely request a similar room the next time we stay there. And I have to say I love your Dooney balloons purse!!! Some would say I'm somewhat addicted to Disney purses and yours is one I've always wanted and never able to get bc I refuse to pay the resell price :eek: But I'm always so jealous when I see pictures of your purse LOL.

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
I've been waiting for this trip report! So glad to hear that your trip went so well, even if there was no ring. Disney engagements can be a bit overrated. Hopefully he's saving a proposal for something even more romantic.

I had heard that the crowds had been insane as of late. I really want to try and plan a F&W trip for next fall, I just don't know when to go exactly. I'm starting to think maybe the beginning of October may be best. Even though Nov would be cooler and the Christmas stuff out I don't know if I could do those kind of crowds!

Anyway I'm following along! Can't wait to read more!

I am so happy I read your trip report before going, as you made me feel so much better about not getting my Disney proposal! And I really hope so, because I don't know what could be better! LOL...

The crowds were seriously insane. They were worse than both July and August. I couldn't even believe Figment had a 40 minute wait! I would definitely go in October... I'd love to try September but then the hurricanes... BAH! The Christmas stuff was awesome tho, so I think it may have outweighed the crowds!

I agree- love 7DMT but it really should be longer!

I never thought I'd want pink shoes but now I'm wishing my Toms weren't black. Who says pink doesn't match everything?

YES- you look like a princess :)

Thank you!!! I think so too! LOL.. I loved my black Toms I ordered them in pink... and grey.. and now.. OOPS! LOL

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
After staying at Riverside 3 times previously, we determined that the proximity to the first bus stop was more important to us than the inside of the room :) Although I really did love the Royal Room!! But not only was it nice being so close to the first bus stop, but it was easy to stop by our room to get our refillable mugs and walk to the lobby. We'll definitely request a similar room the next time we stay there. And I have to say I love your Dooney balloons purse!!! Some would say I'm somewhat addicted to Disney purses and yours is one I've always wanted and never able to get bc I refuse to pay the resell price :eek: But I'm always so jealous when I see pictures of your purse LOL.

The closeness to the bus is a definitely a perk! I may steal your planning tips next time :) And I got SO MANY compliments on my purse this trip! So many people asked where I got it and I had to tell them it was from years ago and I didn't know if it was still for sale! I wanted to a get a new Dooney when I was there but never had the time so I ended up just ordering one online as a birthday present to myself. I'll post the picture when it comes! I was looking at Dooneys on ebay and saw my balloon one going for freaking 400 bucks! WHAT?! I should really stop riding Splash with it and resell... JK JK... that purse holds too many memories! I feel your pain though, I waited to buy the Little Mermaid Vans sneakers and now they are a couple hundred dollars if you can even find them :( :(

Last edited:

WASaMATTR

Loving the Trip report so far. So sorry to hear that you didn't have your magical proposal . But just think... This last time may have been single Nicole'Smith last time at Disney. Next time it may be engaged Nicole or married Nicole... Either way it is still magical and you cannot take away the memory .

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Easy revenge plot. Take his credit card and threaten to book another trip in 100 days. Engagement will be a success then!

On a serious note, awesome report so far
I like the way you think... LOL, and it's sick because I'd honestly take a Disney trip over a diamond anyday. Did I mention I have a Disney addiction? LOL

Yes, Nicole, you do look like a princess! So glad to see you started your report! Can't wait to follow along!!
Thank you! That's the best compliment I could ever receive! :)

Following along. Great start! So sorry the ROL did not work out. I think we will miss Pandora when we go next Spring. Spirits timeline is much more pessimistic than Serpico, but we shall see. As for the luggage, glad the timing worked out so you didn't have to, well, give the luggage guy a memory. . .

I was following the D23 event and was surprised they said summer 2017! I won't hold my breath after seeing what happened with ROL. I just hope it doesn't get shelved forever :(

Loving the Trip report so far. So sorry to hear that you didn't have your magical proposal . But just think... This last time may have been single Nicole'Smith last time at Disney. Next time it may be engaged Nicole or married Nicole... Either way it is still magical and you cannot take away the memory .
I hope so! Right now my next trip is looking to be summer 2018, and if I don't have a ring by then I am moving to Disney and stealing the beast from belle!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Nov 5th

It was in the 80s, but with the crowds it felt much hotter! We decided to head into the Confectionery for a drink. I stopped and drooled as they made white chocolate Mickey cake pops. Why was I still full?!

C207A057-660E-4704-9DA4-3D7298FA98DB_zpsdiu9t8vx.jpg

I contemplated buying this, but it weighed a good five pounds and I didn’t think I could spare that much room in my luggage!

E973C1D9-A419-4AAA-90CF-F5AC3EF493BB_zpscfsaeg6k.jpg

While we were checking out, Joe ran into his cousin. IT TRULY IS A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL! She was running the race with friends, and it just so happened they were walking into the Confectionery the very same moment we were leaving. For three trips now, I have run into someone I know. If that doesn’t provide evidence that the small world song is right, I don’t know what does!

We bid good luck to Joe’s cousin, and decided to take a nice leisurely ride on the Walt Disney World railroad. Now this is a ride you should go on after a huge meal, not Mine Train! We did a full lap around the kingdom that I call home.

F33E70B2-4027-4CFD-9104-EF5660721DD5_zpsabo8yyug.jpg

I must have been feeling the effects of lack of sleep because my photos start slacking here! I kept checking the wait times on my app, and everything was insanely high. We headed over to Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and I cracked up at all the cheesy jokes as per usual! The man they picked as “That Guy” was hysterical; he kept giving this big goofy grin and the thumbs up sign. They also picked another man whose talent was to be invisible, and he kept sliding off his chair onto the floor. Joe and I were both laughing out loud. I love this show!

It was nearing 3 PM and the walkways were becoming increasingly congested. Joe and I decided to head back to our resort for a quick cat nap, Magic Kingdom was open until 1 AM with extra magic hours, and I wanted to stay out late!

544977D2-9957-42E2-BD39-6F077BF45141_zpsrnbm4uur.jpg

Back to our humble abode!

We napped for a good two hours and I woke up feeling instantly refreshed. Time for round 2!

While we waited at the bus stop, I captured even more pictures of my nails. They are still painted this way, and I want to keep it as long as possible. If I break down crying at the nail salon when they take nail polish remover to Mickey’s head, I don’t think they would understand. Is it socially acceptable to have Disney nails 24/7? I think it should be!

001D3399-A648-48E4-96B2-5359EE5A4BE1_zpspmcx9xdn.jpg

Even my toes have Mickey heads!

420AC31F-FF6E-486D-8442-18F2E924872F_zpswycj3vqp.jpg

We hopped back on the MK bus, but we had a pit stop first!

DA119252-79C7-4D9C-A5F4-7CAF502582E5_zpsxv4skfrh.jpg

C5D73565-BF4B-47BF-A466-AE24F03B275F_zpscsl8bi2y.jpg

We were on the monorail to…

FBCED9FD-3B5C-4A3C-A406-E29138A5973A_zpsgtna4zsg.jpg

Nope, not the Contemporary!

FD288607-8933-44F7-91A6-A5EFDA36DAB9_zps9luzl3kt.jpg

Hello Polynesian! It was time for dinner at ‘Ohana!

Joe had never ridden the monorail before, and he was blown away. I think it may have been his favorite ride of the trip! “Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas."

We wanted to go to Trader Sam’s but they told us there was an hour to an hour and half wait, so we settled on

B1833D96-4FEC-4C62-B067-C7C87CC32306_zpsphqrr0ax.jpg

And although I couldn’t try the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum, I was able to have an old favorite.

E196B054-20AA-4BCB-88F1-628CC74032CB_zps9ly7vhi2.jpg

LAPU LAPU, I LOVE YOU.

Joe has something a bit more girly, and I can’t remember for the life of me the name.

45380DE8-18B8-46BE-9787-A5A94B9A110F_zps6ocvcxt7.jpg

And as you all know, I’m a lightweight so I was feeling the effects after one!

16786EDE-32A6-4EE9-8D42-52C117F10B1A_zpsyf6wexdv.jpg

E36CB8F5-70B4-4E50-8B8D-22E24B4526EE_zps6yssq2ls.jpg

Joe photobombing… rude! A nice couple gave us their seats at the bar, so we sat and chatted with other guests for a while.

I didn’t think I could handle another Lapu Lapu, so I joined Joe with the girly drinks. And I’m sorry I’m the worst, but I can’t remember this drink’s name either! But it was good!

5D7D872F-0F09-4064-A9D8-6E977FC6EC7B_zpsqlmnmctc.jpg

The bar was getting pretty crowded, and we thought we should pay it forward with our chairs, so we took our last round to go.

1224286E-13DE-496E-837A-3E29D2DF6477_zpsvbjalx5h.jpg

We checked in for dinner and found a nice bench in the lounge.

F901D94A-0F87-4225-BCF2-F0F4F2568090_zpssd9pxgfs.jpg

Our buzzer went off before I could take any more embarrassing selfies, thank goodness!

Our cousin grabbed our Hawaiian welcome bread and started to lead us to our table. Our walk seemed pretty long, and I don’t remember the restaurant being so big! My 2006 Disney memories are pretty foggy! It felt like we walked, and walked, and passed an empty table that I thought for sure would be ours, only to arrive at the most perfect dinner table that there ever was.

0ADDB740-B58C-4CA4-A48C-4EB91B7EB821_zpsywdwoy6c.jpg

THAT IS THE CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My iPhone camera does not do this view justice at all. I had to pinch myself multiple times. I kept looking at Joe, then looking back out the window, afraid this really was a dream. I was afraid if I blinked the castle would disappear. Could dinner live up to this view?! Was this going to be the ultimate first night EVER and would it only go downhill from here? Why did I plan this as our arrival night? HOW COULD ANY OTHER DINNER COMPETE WITH THIS?! Life was too good to be true.

:)

Doc Disney

THAT IS THE CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My iPhone camera does not do this view justice at all. I had to pinch myself multiple times. I kept looking at Joe, then looking back out the window, afraid this really was a dream. I was afraid if I blinked the castle would disappear. Could dinner live up to this view?! Was this going to be the ultimate first night EVER and would it only go downhill from here? Why did I plan this as our arrival night? HOW COULD ANY OTHER DINNER COMPETE WITH THIS?! Life was too good to be true.

We had the same table at 'Ohana! It was amazing!

fractal

Nov 5th

It was in the 80s, but with the crowds it felt much hotter! We decided to head into the Confectionery for a drink. I stopped and drooled as they made white chocolate Mickey cake pops. Why was I still full?!

C207A057-660E-4704-9DA4-3D7298FA98DB_zpsdiu9t8vx.jpg

I contemplated buying this, but it weighed a good five pounds and I didn’t think I could spare that much room in my luggage!

E973C1D9-A419-4AAA-90CF-F5AC3EF493BB_zpscfsaeg6k.jpg

While we were checking out, Joe ran into his cousin. IT TRULY IS A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL! She was running the race with friends, and it just so happened they were walking into the Confectionery the very same moment we were leaving. For three trips now, I have run into someone I know. If that doesn’t provide evidence that the small world song is right, I don’t know what does!

We bid good luck to Joe’s cousin, and decided to take a nice leisurely ride on the Walt Disney World railroad. Now this is a ride you should go on after a huge meal, not Mine Train! We did a full lap around the kingdom that I call home.

F33E70B2-4027-4CFD-9104-EF5660721DD5_zpsabo8yyug.jpg

I must have been feeling the effects of lack of sleep because my photos start slacking here! I kept checking the wait times on my app, and everything was insanely high. We headed over to Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and I cracked up at all the cheesy jokes as per usual! The man they picked as “That Guy” was hysterical; he kept giving this big goofy grin and the thumbs up sign. They also picked another man whose talent was to be invisible, and he kept sliding off his chair onto the floor. Joe and I were both laughing out loud. I love this show!

It was nearing 3 PM and the walkways were becoming increasingly congested. Joe and I decided to head back to our resort for a quick cat nap, Magic Kingdom was open until 1 AM with extra magic hours, and I wanted to stay out late!

544977D2-9957-42E2-BD39-6F077BF45141_zpsrnbm4uur.jpg

Back to our humble abode!

We napped for a good two hours and I woke up feeling instantly refreshed. Time for round 2!

While we waited at the bus stop, I captured even more pictures of my nails. They are still painted this way, and I want to keep it as long as possible. If I break down crying at the nail salon when they take nail polish remover to Mickey’s head, I don’t think they would understand. Is it socially acceptable to have Disney nails 24/7? I think it should be!

001D3399-A648-48E4-96B2-5359EE5A4BE1_zpspmcx9xdn.jpg

Even my toes have Mickey heads!

420AC31F-FF6E-486D-8442-18F2E924872F_zpswycj3vqp.jpg

We hopped back on the MK bus, but we had a pit stop first!

DA119252-79C7-4D9C-A5F4-7CAF502582E5_zpsxv4skfrh.jpg

C5D73565-BF4B-47BF-A466-AE24F03B275F_zpscsl8bi2y.jpg

We were on the monorail to…

FBCED9FD-3B5C-4A3C-A406-E29138A5973A_zpsgtna4zsg.jpg

Nope, not the Contemporary!

FD288607-8933-44F7-91A6-A5EFDA36DAB9_zps9luzl3kt.jpg

Hello Polynesian! It was time for dinner at ‘Ohana!

Joe had never ridden the monorail before, and he was blown away. I think it may have been his favorite ride of the trip! “Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas."

We wanted to go to Trader Sam’s but they told us there was an hour to an hour and half wait, so we settled on

B1833D96-4FEC-4C62-B067-C7C87CC32306_zpsphqrr0ax.jpg

And although I couldn’t try the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum, I was able to have an old favorite.

E196B054-20AA-4BCB-88F1-628CC74032CB_zps9ly7vhi2.jpg

LAPU LAPU, I LOVE YOU.

Joe has something a bit more girly, and I can’t remember for the life of me the name.

45380DE8-18B8-46BE-9787-A5A94B9A110F_zps6ocvcxt7.jpg

And as you all know, I’m a lightweight so I was feeling the effects after one!

16786EDE-32A6-4EE9-8D42-52C117F10B1A_zpsyf6wexdv.jpg

E36CB8F5-70B4-4E50-8B8D-22E24B4526EE_zps6yssq2ls.jpg

Joe photobombing… rude! A nice couple gave us their seats at the bar, so we sat and chatted with other guests for a while.

I didn’t think I could handle another Lapu Lapu, so I joined Joe with the girly drinks. And I’m sorry I’m the worst, but I can’t remember this drink’s name either! But it was good!

5D7D872F-0F09-4064-A9D8-6E977FC6EC7B_zpsqlmnmctc.jpg

The bar was getting pretty crowded, and we thought we should pay it forward with our chairs, so we took our last round to go.

1224286E-13DE-496E-837A-3E29D2DF6477_zpsvbjalx5h.jpg

We checked in for dinner and found a nice bench in the lounge.

F901D94A-0F87-4225-BCF2-F0F4F2568090_zpssd9pxgfs.jpg

Our buzzer went off before I could take any more embarrassing selfies, thank goodness!

Our cousin grabbed our Hawaiian welcome bread and started to lead us to our table. Our walk seemed pretty long, and I don’t remember the restaurant being so big! My 2006 Disney memories are pretty foggy! It felt like we walked, and walked, and passed an empty table that I thought for sure would be ours, only to arrive at the most perfect dinner table that there ever was.

0ADDB740-B58C-4CA4-A48C-4EB91B7EB821_zpsywdwoy6c.jpg

:)

Looks like you got the best seat in the house!

Axoman

The crowds were seriously insane. They were worse than both July and August. I couldn't even believe Figment had a 40 minute wait! I would definitely go in October... I'd love to try September but then the hurricanes... BAH! The Christmas stuff was awesome tho, so I think it may have outweighed the crowds!

I was at WDW almost exactly a year prior, Nov. 7-11 2015, and crowds weren't that bad. There were near record highs every day, it was very hot and muggy, so maybe that kept some people away.

Since you didn't get your proposal, it just gives you another reason to go back again to get it!

LeighM

Ohana!!! I'm still so depressed that Hurricane Matthew messed up my plans to have dinner there last month as it's my favorite dinner at WDW. My husband could eat nothing but bread pudding there and be happy LOL. We have a Disney cruise scheduled in 2018 and instead of staying at Universal like we originally planned, we're going to stay at WDW instead. Just so I can try to have an Ohana redo. That's completely normal right? In the meantime, I'll just read trip reports for the next 474 days and drool over pictures of food :)

AuburnBelle919

Following along-so excited to read about your trip! I was disappointed to read your title-no proposal But especially disappointed about ROL-I have had two trips this year that I thought I would get to see it and still waiting with anticipation. I was hoping they would have some kind of soft open for you during your trip!

Now that the sad news is out of the way I can't wait to read more of your trip-I know it was amazing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom