1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip Report **COMPLETED** I Can Fly with Hurricane Matthew October 2016

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Reports' started by LeighM, Oct 9, 2016.

1. LeighM

LeighM Well-Known Member Original Poster

R asked me if I included pictures from the walkway from Africa towards Asia that had all of the orchids growing in the trees and it seems like I did not include those. Oops. R loves orchids (I kill every indoor plant that comes into the house so he takes care of the indoor plants while I do those outside :) )

DSCN1108.JPG DSCN1109.JPG DSCN1111.JPG

And apparently I forgot to include stories about my getting picked to go through extra security and the selfie stick. He wants to make sure I get those details in there lol. I think I figured out why I was often picked to go through extra security, and I noticed this happening to others the few times I didn't carry a purse. If you go through the bag check line and are waiting for someone else, thus looking like you have absolutely nothing to do, they seem more likely to get you. I was exasperated when it happened yet again at EPCOT so finally I came out and asked the security guard if it was because I was standing around looking bored or if it was because he was. Do I really look like I would be up to no good?????

And as much as they seemed to harass me this trip, the did not catch the extra long selfie stick that I saw a group of Asian girls using on Main Street completely getting in people's way. Are they starting to relax their stance on selfie sticks now? When I was there last year, I didn't even see one being used in the park. And cast members along Main Street saw this but they didn't confiscate it.

I'm sure there will be other little stories about the trip, the husband will remember that I've forgotten :)

Jamie77, PacNWTigger and MinnieM123 like this.
  2. Trisha Lynn

Trisha Lynn Well-Known Member

Loved this TR and am feeling better about my decision to book our trip for September and not October.

Any chance you can post a picture of the sword? It's gotta be one heck of a sword!

Jamie77 likes this.
  3. LeighM

He'll have to take a picture of it because he's forbidden me to touch it in case my oil from my fingers leave prints he doesn't know about. If he doesn't know then he can't clean it. He takes his swords VERY VERY seriously LOL. The sword is a genuine Damascus blade apparently and it cost a lot of money. Not only did I want him to buy it because it regretted it 3 yrs and and they didn't have during our other trips, but I wanted him to buy it so he couldn't complain about the purses had I purchased :angelic:

4. Trisha Lynn

Trisha Lynn Well-Known Member

Tell him that there's been a request! Or if he's still reading, I'd really like to see the sword. I'll bet it's not on the Disney Store website, hmm?

Also, that was a very excellent strategy on your part. :D

5. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody Well-Known Member

Loved your report! So sorry your plans were messed up because of sickness and the hurricane :(. It sounds like you two still managed to have fun though!

I so regretted not getting a party pin! I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I got on ebay and ordered the oogie boogie one when we got home... I wanted it so bad! I'll stand in line next year though.

That happened to me too! There must be a really good target at the beginning that we both got. I wish I knew what it was.

I was going to compliment it too! It's sooooo cute.

I noticed one in Epcot. They were using it near the fountain and there were several CMs around, but no one said anything. Guess they're not as strict anymore!

6. LeighM

Thanks for reading!

When I got home, I had to buy another pin with just 2016 on it. I focused so much on the special event pins that I completely forgot about the yearly ones we also collect. So I got one with Orange Bird. I was planning on getting the Alice ones that couldn't be ordered thru their app but I couldn't find those pins anywhere!! Last year, I went crazy with special MNSSHP merchandise and left with 2 t-shirts, neither of which I really want :) This year, I stuck to the pins lol.

And we still managed to have fun and enjoy the time away from home. I'm trying to plan something for 2017 or 2018 and my head is spinning at all of the possibilities LOL. My friend said she would be willing to house sit again so I need to plan something around her schedule as well. Because of the hurricane, I feel like my trip was incomplete and that we need a redo :facepalm: Here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1: Go in early December 2017 so I can do the Christmas Party and EPCOT Holidays Around the World, etc. The husband wants to do something other than just WDW so I tentatively have a 3 night Disney cruise booked. I was also thinking of adding a couple days at Universal. And do we drive since there are so many components or fly and rent car/taxi? My problem? I don't think I'll be happy with it feeling so rushed and not really able to be immersed in the experience. I've never been to Universal, we're huge HP fans, and I don't think 2 days will be enough. I KNOW that 2-3 days at WDW isn't going to be enough time for me to enjoy all of their Christmas offerings. Which leads me to Option 2....

Option 2: Do a 3 or 4 night cruise in March/April/May 2018 followed by 3-4 nights at Universal?

Option 3: Stick with what we have and stay with our 4 night DCL scheduled for September 2017. This is less likely because of hurricane season and the heat/humidity. I do have the room I always wanted (8188) but I'm just not feeling it now - which is a whole other story that's best left off the internet since it has to do with in laws LOL.

MinnieM123 likes this.
  7. Pirate'sLifeForME

Pirate'sLifeForME Active Member

A little late to the party, but I really enjoyed this trip report. Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry that your plans got ruined by the hurricane. And I'm really, really sorry about your mom. I hope things work out with your 2017/2018 trip!

8. LeighM

Thanks! It was still a lot of fun though. I've never experienced any type of hurricane at WDW before so we had a new story to tell :) I'm just thankful that it changed course last minute and we didn't have a direct hit by a category 4!!!

And I'm getting really anxious to start planning the 2018 trip. I changed the cruise from a 4 night to a 3 night so I could spend more days at WDW LOL. Now I'm waiting impatiently for them to open up 2018 packages...and for JetBlue to open my dates for booking :)

Pirate'sLifeForME likes this.
  9. Jamie77

Jamie77 Member

It would be nice if Disney made an announcement in five minute increments about the fireworks starting so people could find their viewing locations just like they do at Epcot.