Trip Report COMPLETED: BEST (DISNEY) MONTH EVER !! - Dec 2016 - 2 Continents, 2 Resorts, 6 Parks !!

Hello to all the Disney Fans

As the title stipulates the month of December was a great Disney month for me and my family

Quick introduction - I am Max and I have been going to Disney since 1979. This trip report will detail trips 24 and 25 for me. (edit 1/17)
IMG_3968.JPG

What: The first leg is a solo trip to Tokyo Disneyland and the second is a family trip to Walt Disney World.
Who: My DW (T) and 2 DD ( S 21 and C 19) and me (Max)
(I am using initials to type less and protect the innocent.
The star over my head in the shot below is awesome!!!
STUDIO_SUNSET3_20161226_7904309987.jpeg

When: Dec 10 and 11 at TDR and Dec 23-30 at WDW
Why: Business trip from Dec 2-16 in Japan & family vacation in Florida.

This is my first full length trip report that I have attempted. In the past I have asked a few questions on the boards, and then posted a few details but never really went all in. The family has agreed to this one so here goes. I will try to use Doc Disney, Nicole and Longers amazing reports as motivation.

Just a few disclaimers (and I understand if I might lose most of my viewers but I have to be up front and honest)

#1 - I am Canadian (hence the honest and upfront approach - lol). So my viewpoints and opinions come from a different perspective at times. I will try to avoid political comments but sometimes the jokes are hard to pass on. (And I know the hat gives it away - I support the Blue Jays and that is the hat the team wears on Canada Day - Our birthday - 150 Years old in 2017!!)

#2 - I do not take a lot of food pictures - I am on a seefood diet - I see food and I eat it. I do not take the time to take a picture of it - I will have a few though.(The sound you hear is of all the "foodies" running for the exit)

#3 I do not own or use an expensive camera - all pictures will be either photo pass or iPhone. (the sound you now hear is of all the photographers leaving the building)

#4 Having been to TDR before (and being on a solo trip) and having been to WDW a few times I did not take a ton of pictures. Hopefully enough to tell the story. And my night time shots are limited (see point 3)

#5 I did not take a great notes (I know - Rookie mistake) but I will rely on my family to fill in the blanks for me.

Next Up : Background on the two trips and how them came to be

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 - Final Thoughts:
So the parks were busy but we did our best to avoid the big crowds by limiting our MK time and going back to the YC in the middle of the day.
But for me I think I am done with the Christmas trip that take place over actual Christmas day.
I just do not think that we are getting value at this time of the year.
Long lines and crowds limited the touring and tire you out (mentally, emotionally and physically)

I look forward to a trip (not sure when) where I can go and enjoy the parks more fully and get more than the minimum 3 FP.
Not to mention not having to pay the premium cost for everything at Christmas.

T and I are wondering if this might have been the last full family trip.
S is graduating this year and who knows what the future holds.
I will hold out hope for another Max Family trip.

Until then I will always have this discussion board and the great people who post to keep my spirits up until it happens.

Thank you to all that followed along.

This was my first attempt at a TR - I know if I do it again I will be better prepared with notes and pictures
(I might even take more food shots!!)

Special thanks to S and C for helping an aging Disney vet remember the details of the trip

Cheers

Max

Zipadeelady

Thanks for posting your adventures, it was a great report. I was going to say I can't wait until next Christmas to read your next report then I read your last post, you really should try another time of year. I suggest Fall. I love the decorations and the music they play around Halloween. Plus the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is a must.....at least once.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for posting your adventures, it was a great report. I was going to say I can't wait until next Christmas to read your next report then I read your last post, you really should try another time of year. I suggest Fall. I love the decorations and the music they play around Halloween. Plus the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is a must.....at least once.
Thanks for the advice
So far I have gone in Jan, Feb, Mar, May, August, Oct and Dec.
I agree that October is a target and so would late April/early May (after Easter)

Time will tell

Max

PS - I might get my 3 week trip to Japan this fall for business- that might lead to a Shanghai or Hong Kong trip.
So there might be a TR in my future after all!!

PacNWTigger

Thank you for sharing your adventures! Your pics are amazing, and I look forward to the next time you're able to travel. My fingers are crossed for you to go to Shanghai Disney...I hear their PoC is pretty darn amazing.

dmatt87

Part 2 - Friday December 30, 2016
So this was our travel day home.
Early flight (7am) came very early but we made it to the airport, had the same trouble with our "paper" ticket and

A few random shots from the trip
First up the mug purchase for this trip - fell in love with this AK mug pretty quick
View attachment 193071
tView attachment 193072

This is the button they were giving out at the Canadian pavilion in Epcot to celebrate this year being our 150th
View attachment 193073

And some screen shots from the MDE app on our last day
The first ones are expected - popular attractions
View attachment 193074
View attachment 193075

View attachment 193076

But this one is not normal at all
View attachment 193077

Next up: Final thoughts
Wish I get this cool Canadian button on our visit in May!

And you know that it's busy when people are actually packing Figment :jawdrop:

dmatt87

Part 2 - Final Thoughts:
So the parks were busy but we did our best to avoid the big crowds by limiting our MK time and going back to the YC in the middle of the day.
But for me I think I am done with the Christmas trip that take place over actual Christmas day.
I just do not think that we are getting value at this time of the year.
Long lines and crowds limited the touring and tire you out (mentally, emotionally and physically)

I look forward to a trip (not sure when) where I can go and enjoy the parks more fully and get more than the minimum 3 FP.
Not to mention not having to pay the premium cost for everything at Christmas.

T and I are wondering if this might have been the last full family trip.
S is graduating this year and who knows what the future holds.
I will hold out hope for another Max Family trip.

Until then I will always have this discussion board and the great people who post to keep my spirits up until it happens.

Thank you to all that followed along.

This was my first attempt at a TR - I know if I do it again I will be better prepared with notes and pictures
(I might even take more food shots!!)

Special thanks to S and C for helping an aging Disney vet remember the details of the trip

Cheers

Max
Great TR - can't wait until the next one.

And you have inspired me to try and do the most Disney trip I can in my lifetime :)

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for sharing your adventures! Your pics are amazing, and I look forward to the next time you're able to travel. My fingers are crossed for you to go to Shanghai Disney...I hear their PoC is pretty darn amazing.
If, (big IF) I get to go to Shanghai it will be great in part because of the need to plan!!

I am not sure if you or others get the same feeling but after awhile when you go so often to a resort the planning is less intense and the getting around the park is more relaxed but less exciting ( I barely look at a park map anymore)

It was exhilarating to go to Tokyo after 10 years and be (almost) a newbie again.
Shanghai would have the same feeling

Thanks for reading the TR and commenting

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wish I get this cool Canadian button on our visit in May!

And you know that it's busy when people are actually packing Figment :jawdrop:
You should be able to get the button all year at the Canada pavilion in Epcot
Just go up to one of the kiosk near the entrance and ask!!

Trust me, I did not wait that long for Figment!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great TR - can't wait until the next one.

And you have inspired me to try and do the most Disney trip I can in my lifetime :)

Wow - You do not often get told that you are inspirational!!
Don't worry though - with a DW and two DD they will not let it go to my head!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it - looking forward to your report as well
You get the joy/fun/stress/etc of seeing it through the eyes of a pre-schooler for the first time.
Soak that one in my friend - the response you will get from him is more than worth the price of admission!!

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing! :)
I am glad you liked it.

Your comment on sharing takes my back to the Winnie the Pooh videos (yes VHS tapes!!!) that we had for the girls
There was a sharing and caring one and to this day we always quote the title when someone in the house is being a little too selfish

I am looking forward to your trip report and the updates on the move.
I will not make it down to golf with your fiancé in June.
But with you guys living close it will be nice to have a local resident to possibly golf with when I come down on vacation !!

Thanks
Max

21stamps

Tower #1 pic
I wonder if the guy in the front row stayed with those 2 girls after he saw this picture
View attachment 190927
Tower ride #2 Pic - S sat this one out. T just did not want to get with the program
The two little ones in front of us look concerned.
View attachment 190926

After 2 trips of terror we headed over back to the main strip and rode the Great Movie ride
The only picture I can find is from the queue
View attachment 190930
I really enjoyed the film clips a the end of the ride - I cannot remember when it was updated but it definitely has newer clips in it.
S and T went for a coffee and we saved a spot for the march of the first order
But first C and I did this....
View attachment 190935
View attachment 190931 View attachment 190932 View attachment 190933 View attachment 190934
We followed up to the stage and watched the show and then chilled for 30 min or so and caught the stage show.
Again no pictures because it was the first time seeing it and wanted to enjoy it.

After the March and the stage show C and I went to ride Star Tours using a FP (cannot get enough I guess)

S and C did this!!
View attachment 190928 View attachment 190929
Yes the one that complained about us trying to exclude her was quick to do the duet photo pass shot!!
Well I guess C and I asked for it.
Lovin' the photos!!!
Part 2 - Dec 26 cont'd
After Star tours (not the rebel spy this time or ever!!) we went back to the hotel.
We took the boat back to the Swan/Dolphin and then walked the rest.

After a quick (and only swim by me of the entire trip) we went back for our Mama Melrose ADR
We walked back and I stopped a take a quick look at the Creepy Clown Pool at the Boardwalk.

The girls took off and made it to the park first and did this
View attachment 191392 View attachment 191393 View attachment 191394 View attachment 191395

We went to the Launch Bay first for a quick look and then went to MM
View attachment 191396

View attachment 191397 View attachment 191398
View attachment 191399
C got 3 Allergy sticks in her food.
View attachment 191400

I'm probably one of the few people who love the clown pool! I look forward to the day when the majority of our time is not at MK..then I can go back to my Epcot resorts!

blreinsel

I am glad you liked it.

Your comment on sharing takes my back to the Winnie the Pooh videos (yes VHS tapes!!!) that we had for the girls
There was a sharing and caring one and to this day we always quote the title when someone in the house is being a little too selfish

I am looking forward to your trip report and the updates on the move.
I will not make it down to golf with your fiancé in June.
But with you guys living close it will be nice to have a local resident to possibly golf with when I come down on vacation !!

Thanks
Max

That Pooh Bear is great for life lessons. ;) Our trip (and move) are coming quickly.. it's still so hard to believe! I'm sure Dylan would love the company someday in the future! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This was a great TR--very fun reading and I enjoyed all your photos.

And I agree 100% with you about the castle--it's Cindy's castle and always will be. :inlove: :happy:

monykalyn

So I'm reading the trip report and my 14 year old daughter comes running over to see all the ride photos (had no idea she was reading over my shoulder). We LOVE your fun ride photos! We rode EE 5 or 6 x in a row one EMH morning and it got to the point where we were getting the whole car to do a pose (we were going through single rider so it was hit or miss on whether we were together).
Thanks for sharing your trips!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I'm reading the trip report and my 14 year old daughter comes running over to see all the ride photos (had no idea she was reading over my shoulder). We LOVE your fun ride photos! We rode EE 5 or 6 x in a row one EMH morning and it got to the point where we were getting the whole car to do a pose (we were going through single rider so it was hit or miss on whether we were together).
Thanks for sharing your trips!
Wow -you got an entire car to do a group ride photo and you were a single rider?!?!?
You got skills my friend, serious skills!

Thanks for reading the report

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing, Max! :) Loved your pictures of Tokyo and Orlando.
Thank you for reading
I was not sure if I had enough pictures compared to some of the other reports.
Mostly because I spent too much time when the girls were younger staring through a view finder of a video camera or regular point and shoot camera. At least now with smart phones you can get a better sense of what you are taking a pic of.
But right now I just want to soak in the shows / rides/parades etc and not worry about taking the pictures.
I must admit I am starting to enjoy taking selfies
It was awkward at first but I am getting used to it

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom