Trip Report Completed-A February Drinking Around the World, Resort-Hopping Disneymoon!

Pre-Trip Report here! You can read the Who/What/When/etc. there so I will jump right in, with the disclaimer that the only cameras we had were from our smartphones. Also, the trip report is completely written so I'll be posting regularly until it's all up! Here we go!

Day 1: Travel and Resort Hopping

At about 5:30am, we got in the Uber to Newark Liberty International Airport. Our driver was quite professional and courteous and we had an uneventful ride. Once we arrived we checked our bag (yay for Southwest's no baggage fees!) and proceeded through the security line. It seemed like it took longer than usual but we still had plenty of time to get breakfast and coffee. We shared a large mocha and two different breakfast items at Boar's Head: an egg and cheddar sandwich and a spinach, egg, and feta wrap. Both were quite delicious and I couldn't decide which I liked better because they were both so good!

tumblr_njk2s2x0H21un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Airport breakfast

We boarded right on time and took off a little early. This flight was only about half full so we got a row to ourselves. I had a nice view of New York and Jersey City from my window seat (which didn't translate so well to a photo but you get the idea). On the plane we watched reality cooking and travel shows on my iPad with the free wifi and onboard entertainment. Soon we were exiting the plane at the New Orleans airport.

tumblr_nmez5gMotH1qih9ceo1_1280.jpg

New York and Jersey City

To keep costs down and save money for exciting things in WDW we packed a simple lunch of cheese, pretzels, and fruit. As we waited at the gate it became very evident that this was a flight to Orlando because of all the families decked in their Disney gear. We once again boarded on time and enjoyed a smooth flight.

We landed early at MCO and headed toward the shuttles. We made our way to the B side level 1, scanned my band for Disney's Magical Express, and boarded at gate B44! You should know something about me: I am a little (maybe a lot) superstitious and at times obsessive about numbers. I love multiples of 22 (I was born on the 22nd of the month in '88 AND DW and I celebrate our relationship anniversary on the 22nd of a different month) and also multiples of 3 and especially multiples of 9. At the theatre/opera/symphony if I have a choice of seat number I will always pick a multiple of 3 and/or 22. Plus my name starts with B, so I took this as an amazing sign.

Between landing early and the efficiency of DME we were actually leaving the airport before our scheduled landing time of 2:30. On the bus I got the text that we were in room 9440 and it was ready! Yes, building 9, room 440! Our driver was funny and the ride went by quickly. Pop Century was the first stop and DW and I were the only passengers to exit there. We went to the check-in desk out of habit and to be honest the CMs seemed a little confused as to why we were there since check-in is done online and most people get the room text and can go straight there with their Magic Bands. I did need to make sure the right credit card was linked to the room and ask a question about tickets and they were very helpful. I'm sure they are still working out the kinks of the system but I imagine lots of guests are confused as to why they don't need to check in or even have any human contact of any kind. Oh, and I should mention that a new CM was "earning her ears" on her very first day of training. She seemed very nervous but never stopped smiling and of course the established CM was there to help.

tumblr_njl2alO1oH1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Nothing like the first view of the WDW sign!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Does trip insurance cover all the extra things you needed? I have only traveled with insurance once to Europe, and did not need to use it. However, my DREAM would be to be stuck in WDW, unable to travel back home for a few extra days, just not sure my budget would like it!
It is supposed to cover lodging, food, and transportation up to a certain dollar amount per day. We were approved but haven't actually been told the amount we'll be receiving.

bee

Original Poster
Day 7: More Resort Hopping, California Grill

We slept in this morning and had protein bars and apples in the room. We once again headed to DTD so we could take the walkway to SSR. First, though, we needed another visit to Basin and a frozen mocha from Ghirardelli!

tumblr_nm5mkmTSlq1un92rjo1_400.jpg

Breakfast

tumblr_nm5mkmTSlq1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Frozen mocha!

We walked around the SSR grounds for while before finding The Artist's Palette for a light lunch. We shared the Greek Salad (no chicken) and Roasted Vegetable Panini with House-Made Chips. We filled up our trusty resort mug with some iced tea and headed to the bus stop area.

tumblr_nm5mkmTSlq1un92rjo3_540.jpg

Greek salad

tumblr_nm5mkmTSlq1un92rjo4_540.jpg

Vegetable panini and chips

Since we had some time to kill before our CG reservation we decided to visit AKL Kidani Village and see how different it was from the main resort. Sorry to be weird here, but I was simply amazed at how huge this bathroom at Kidani was! So amazed, in fact, that I had to take pictures to remember this enormous bathroom! We explored a bit more and took some pictures of the animals, and soon it was time to head to MK and walk to CR for dinner!

tumblr_nm5mlltZGa1un92rjo1_400.jpg
tumblr_nm5mlltZGa1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Giant AKL bathroom! (That's me in the mirror)

tumblr_nm5mlltZGa1un92rjo3_540.jpg

More animals

tumblr_nm5mlltZGa1un92rjo4_250.jpg
tumblr_nm5mlltZGa1un92rjo5_250.jpg

Giraffe

tumblr_nm5mlltZGa1un92rjo6_250.jpg

Zebra

Resorts visited: POP WL CR Poly GF AKL OKW CSR AoA YC BC BW ASMu CBR POFQ POR ASSp SSR

Resorts remaining: ASMo

Next up: California Grill!

bee

Original Poster
Day 7, cont.

We checked in at the CG reservation desk and were soon lead up in the elevator. It was still bright outside so the shades were half drawn but a host CM told us that they would be retracted soon. We were seated quickly and could see Spaceship Earth from our table! Our server explained the menu and wine list to us, and DW ordered a cocktail called a Santa Monica Cider, which tasted kind of like a margarita with gin. I enjoyed a glass of Austrian Grüner Veltliner.

tumblr_nm5mn8YzRC1un92rjo3_540.jpg

Santa Monica Cider

We shared the Mushroom Flatbread to start and went outside to see the view. Our 5:50 reservation time seemed early but it was the perfect time to watch the sunset in between courses.

tumblr_nm5mqtdZe31un92rjo1_400.jpg
tumblr_nm5mqtdZe31un92rjo3_540.jpg

Mushroom flatbread

tumblr_nm5mom9Fp41un92rjo1_400.jpg
tumblr_nm5mom9Fp41un92rjo4_540.jpg

Sunset over Seven Seas Lagoon

tumblr_nmf28jFYBg1un92rjo3_400.jpg

Spaceship Earth with the castle in the background, taken by DW

tumblr_nm5mom9Fp41un92rjo3_540.jpg

Epcot!!!

I had the Baby Beets and Citrus Salad, while DW ordered the Farmer's Strawberry Salad. My salad was SO. FREAKING. GOOD. There were so many interesting flavors that every bite tasted slightly different. Normally I don't care for too much fruit in salads because I don't like it to get too sweet but when I tried DW's strawberry salad I really liked it.

tumblr_nm5mrmKwAY1un92rjo1_400.jpg

Front: Strawberry salad. Back: Baby Beets Salad. Also: My wine

We split the Butternut Squash Ravioli, which the chef was kind enough to divide between two plates for us. Not that I expected it to come out on a single plate that we would have to share from, but it was still a nice gesture. Wow. I could have eaten about five plates of this. The pinot noir sauce was perfect with the squash.

tumblr_nm5mrmKwAY1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Ravioli

The only thing that could have made the meal better was dessert...which we of course ordered! We shared the Chocolate Pudding Cake. There are no words to describe how good this was so I'm just going to leave the picture here and move on.

tumblr_nm5mshXeKU1un92rjo1_400.jpg

Chocolate Pudding Cake

My conclusion was that California Grill really does live up to the hype, and that was before we got to watch Wishes from the balcony! After dinner we took a quick trip around the Monorail resorts, then we headed back to CG for the fireworks. We had a nice spot on the side closest to MK. I am pretty sure I had not actually seen Wishes, even from the park, before, so my first time was from the best spot in WDW!

tumblr_nm5mshXeKU1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Wishes

After Wishes we walked to MK to catch the bus. Since All Star Movies was the only resort we hadn't visited on our extended trip we took the bus straight there and then walked back to Music for our second final night at WDW.

tumblr_nm5mtfr9lN1un92rjo1_400.jpg

Can you spot the kitty? At ASMo

Resorts visited: POP WL CR Poly GF AKL OKW CSR AoA YC BC BW ASMu CBR POFQ POR ASSp SSR ASMo

Resorts remaining: None!

Next up: Going home???

Last edited:

LisaBelle

Thank you! There are soooo many choices in each country, so whether you are more into wine, beer, liquor, or cocktails you are sure to find something. Will you be there before or during Flower and Garden?
No, we won't be there for Flower and Garden. That is on my bucket list, though. Sorry you had some delays but excited you were able to finish hopping to all the resorts and eat at CG.

FlaggNL

The reason is maybe not that good, I mean when you expect to go home, you want to go home! But spending some extra days in WDW is always great :)

bee

Original Poster
Day 8: Going Home...RIGHT???

At some point during the previous day I logged into the SWA app to check in for our flight and noticed that there was a weather-related travel advisory for Nashville, which happened to be the airport where we were supposed to have a connection on our way home. I called Southwest customer service to see if we could rebook and the agent put us on a flight that not only went through Houston instead, but also was several hours later so we wouldn't have to wake up at 3:00am! Yay me for calling, because all flights to and from Nashville did end up being canceled! Who knows how long we would have been stuck after that??

Anyway, we refilled our good ol' resort mug one last time with iced coffee and boarded the DME bus. This time everything went smoothly and no flights were canceled and we made it home as planned!

tumblr_nm5mtfr9lN1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Last resort mug refill

tumblr_nm5mtfr9lN1un92rjo3_540.jpg

Last photo on property

Next up: Miscellaneous photos

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Final thoughts
  • I will always buy travel insurance from now on, especially if I am traveling during any kind of storm season!
  • WDW is the best. Seriously. The day we were away from it was so sad. Reboarding the Magical Express after that day was like coming home.
  • If I have the chance to stay deluxe, my top picks are Boardwalk, Contemporary, Yacht Club, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I wouldn't mind GF, Poly, or Beach Club. I probably wouldn't stay at OKW or SSR.
  • On our next moderate trip I want to stay at POFQ or CSR. POR would be good too but I probably wouldn't stay at CBR unless there was a serious discount.
  • When staying value (aka spending most of the trip in the parks/not at our resort) I will stick with Pop Century! I love the dedicated bus service, convenient location, and fun theming. AoA was also fun but it seems to always be priced as much as or more than the moderates. I enjoyed our time at ASMu (certainly more than at the Helliday Inn!!) but it made me appreciate how much more I like Pop.
  • New must-do breakfast restaurant: Boma! With our Disney Visa discount our breakfast there ended up being cheaper than at The Wave, and Boma includes coffee and juice (not to mention basically all the same foods as The Wave and many more). We have to try dinner too!
  • You may have noticed we skipped Fort Wilderness and the Swan and Dolphin. We decided not to count FW as one of the primary purposes of resort hopping was to scope out potential future vacation spots and we would not stay at a campground. We skipped the Swolphin since we have seen both before and they are not true Disney resorts.
  • RESORT MUG!!!! This must happen every trip! It was a fun way to "check in" at each resort we visited, saved us money on coffee purchases, and offered a bit of consolation when we were stuck in the food court at All Star Music. And yes, we did get at least one soda/coffee/tea at each of the resorts we visited!
Thank you all for following, replying, and liking! It was so much fun to relive our trip with you and now of course I am craving another WDW visit!

FlaggNL

Thanks for the final thoughts! And off course the complete report! It was fun reading it and off course pumps up our pre feelings! Another 186 days to go for us but with TR's like this time flies by :)

mrdrift

Glad you were finally able to make it home. Weather can really make it difficult when traveling. By the sounds of it you did get a couple extra wonderful days to resort hope and see the sights. I never go without insurance on a trip and I have never used it either but there could be a first and having to go back to Disney would be awesome.

bee

Original Poster
Post script

I know I posted my "Final Thoughts" already, BUT I wanted to share one more thing!

DW and I both LOVE coffee and LOVE Epcot. During our trip we really wanted to buy an Epcot mug as a souvenir but the only one we found was this and it did not really appeal to us:

images

We decided to search eBay for vintage Epcot mugs and we ended up finding THIS ONE instead:

images

We bought two from two different sellers and now we have souvenirs that we like better than anything we could have found in the parks!

Thanks again for reading along as I relived my vacation!

Kokoum57

Wow. You two had a most exciting and marvelous time. Thanks for a great trip report and re-stoking my "Disney fires". Thanks also for your heads-up on what is available for vegetarians. Also appreciated your take on the different resort visits you made. Cheers.

bee

Original Poster
You guys did a great job making the best of it! Glad you were able to get home (finally) safely.
Thanks! We were soooo beyond glad to be home after everything! And honestly I think it worked out better that we had a few extra days of vacation. We've had a stressful year with moving, getting married, changing jobs, and family situations and we finally got to relax!

bee

Original Poster
Wow. You two had a most exciting and marvelous time. Thanks for a great trip report and re-stoking my "Disney fires". Thanks also for your heads-up on what is available for vegetarians. Also appreciated your take on the different resort visits you made. Cheers.
We had a lot of fun seeing all the resorts! And we are always looking for new vegetarian dishes to try at WDW and in general so I'm glad you enjoyed our food reports!

DiSnEyF@n

Day 2, cont.

We did not care to stay for the attraction at The American Adventure so we continued to Italy and enjoyed a glass of red sangria. After a quick glance in the shops we proceeded to Germany where we shared the Nudel Gratin, Housemade Paprika Chips, and Schöfferhofer Pink Grapefruit Hefeweizen from Sommerfest. Everything from here was SO GOOD. DW and I agreed that the Grapefruit Hefeweizen (which is just a slightly sweetened half grapefruit juice, half beer cocktail) and the Shakin' Jamaican from America were our favorites. In fact when we got home we bought grapefruit juice and Hefeweizen and made our own version!

tumblr_nm5lsaJqW91un92rjo3_540.jpg

Italian red sangria

tumblr_nm5lsaJqW91un92rjo4_400.jpg

Nudel gratin and chips

tumblr_nm5lsaJqW91un92rjo5_400.jpg

Grapefruit Hefeweizen

China was next and we shared a plum wine. It was fine but overwhelmingly sweet. It kind of tasted like a spiked Capri Sun. There were only two drinks we tried that day that we would definitely not get again and that was one of them. The second came immediately after in Norway, where we tried the Aquavit Glacier Shot. This just tasted like alcoholic toothpaste. We then paid our respects to Maelstrom which was formerly our favorite ride.

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo1_400.jpg

It wouldn't be a visit to WDW without a plane writing messages about Jesus in the sky!

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Plum wine

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo5_250.jpg

Glacier shot

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo3_540.jpg

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo4_250.jpg

RIP Maelstrom ):

Next came Mexico and of course a frozen margarita! Obviously we know these aren't the best margaritas on property or even at Epcot but there's something about that brightly colored cup that screams "VACATION!" We enjoyed it sitting outside the Mexico pavilion; did I mention that the weather was PERFECT on this whole trip?? It was sunny and warm but never hot or humid. The nights were "Florida cold" (50s-low 60s) and simply delightful. After the margarita we walked over to Canada for the next drink, which was the St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat. Out of the beers we tried (not counting beer cocktails) this was my favorite because it was fruity and fragrant but not sweet.

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo6_250.jpg

Margarita

tumblr_nm5lv86bAB1un92rjo7_540.jpg

Apricot beer

Drunk Around the World: France Morocco Japan America Italy Germany China Norway Mexico Canada

Not Yet Drunk Around the World: UK

Next up: Will we finish DATW???

I'm so glad you mentioned the weather! We our planning a trip for mid-Feb 2016 and I was going to ask you about the weather!!! Your TR and pics are awesome. I love the idea of "drinking around the world." Is that a thing or just something you guys did to do???? lol I am definitely doing that when I go next time!!! Thanks for sharing!

DiSnEyF@n

Day 2, cont.

Originally we had planned not to make a dinner ADR on this Epcot day and just do QS all day; however, while I was browsing the MDE app I noticed an early dinner spot open for Rose & Crown Pub and we decided to take it since we had never eaten there before. We each got our own drink here: DW had a Snake Bite (cider and harp) and I had a Shandy (bass ale and Sprite). Both were huge and delicious.

tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo1_400.jpg

L: Shandy, R: Snake Bite

We shared the United Kingdom Cheese Platter and the Potato Leek Soup to start, then the Vegetable Cottage Pie. We would definitely eat at R&C again especially since they change the menu every few months and we would be able to try new things. I'd also love to come back to see Illuminations.

tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Potato Leek Soup and Cheese Plate

tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo3_540.jpg

Cheese!!!

tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo4_250.jpg

Sooooooup!

tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo6_250.jpg
tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo5_250.jpg

Cottage Pie

tumblr_nm5lxzZVRL1un92rjo7_540.jpg

This was the point into my Shandy when I started feeling silly...

After dinner we walked back to Future World and rode the Vegetable Boat Ride again. We were craving dessert so we went back to Germany and shared a caramel chocolate cookie. The previous day of travel started to catch up with us so we left around 8:00 and went to bed.

tumblr_nm5lyudZOj1un92rjo1_400.jpg

Spaceship Earth at night

tumblr_nm5lyudZOj1un92rjo2_400.jpg

Chocolate cookie with caramel

PS Always tip Mousekeeping! They will give you extra stuff!
tumblr_nm5lzsEbvt1un92rjo1_400.jpg
tumblr_nm5lzsEbvt1un92rjo2_400.jpg
tumblr_nm5lzsEbvt1un92rjo3_540.jpg

Toiletries

Drunk Around the World: France Morocco Japan America Italy Germany China Norway Mexico Canada UK

Not Yet Drunk Around the World: Nowhere! We did it!

Resorts visited: POP WL CR Poly GF

Resorts remaining: AKL OKW YC BC BW SSR CSR POFQ POR CBR AoA ASMu ASSp ASMo

I usually tip at the end of our vacation... Do you do it every day?? Thanks for the info

bee

Original Poster
I'm so glad you mentioned the weather! We our planning a trip for mid-Feb 2016 and I was going to ask you about the weather!!! Your TR and pics are awesome. I love the idea of "drinking around the world." Is that a thing or just something you guys did to do???? lol I am definitely doing that when I go next time!!! Thanks for sharing!
This is definitely A THING. Some people and groups make t-shirts just for DATW where they check off each country in permanent marker as they drink there.

I usually tip at the end of our vacation... Do you do it every day?? Thanks for the info
We do it every day. The Mousekeeping staff may vary from day to day and we want to make sure the correct person gets the tip.

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed my report! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom