Complaining About Disney While Being There

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Can I just share some frustration?

I have the misfortune of being the resident Disney "expert" despite not wanting to give any Disney advice. Unfortunately, people at work use me for information and then fail to follow any of my advice.

Sometimes, you are pressured into helping people due to workplace politics, bosses, boss's boss, etc. You know what I mean. You tell them how to do things and then they'll completely ignore it and tell you how they had a bad time.

It's his family's first time at WDW and he appears dead set on having a bad time. I keep getting text updates on how much Disney isn't handling things correctly WHILE he's at Disney.

1) Dining Reservation wasn't right, "wasting" his fast passes due to waiting at the restaurant. My response: "Explain your situation and you can get replacement fast passes at Guest Services. "
His response: "They already wasted my time and Fast Passes are not good for kids at 8pm!"

Me: "Uhm, don't you take a nap in the afternoon so your kids can enjoy nighttime activities, or are you just done at 6pm every day?"
That's unfortunate bc you miss a lot by not going at night. Furthermore, I've gotten "any time" use fast passes multiple times. Disney will take care of you if they ask.
Him: "Kids don't work that way!"

2) "Driving in is a pain. "
Me: "Why are you driving in when you're staying at a Disney resort?"
Him: "We want the convenience."
Me: "Sigh"

3) Him: "Everything is expensive."
Me: Didn't say this, but I was thinking everything was paid for prior to the trip besides food. Did you think you'd get a $5 meal? I don't get the expectations. Coke is going to cost $2.75. What's the big deal?

I'm just like, dude...all the money you spent, just have a good time and if something goes wrong, just get it corrected.

Some people want to make it out that one dining screw up can ruin a trip.

epcotisbest

Similar thing happened to me. I spent a lot of time giving tips and advice, even gave written notes. They came back and told people what an awful time they had. Turns out they just winged it and did not follow any advice.
First thought was why even ask?
Second thought...one less family in line complaining about the lines.

JourneysEnd

You have my sympathy.
I get so tired of people writing "Disney never told me . . . " Is Disney supposed to send everyone who buys a ticket an email telling them when the Xmas parties are, how to book FP+, when to make ADRs.
Be responsible for your own enjoyment. Some people just love to complain.

mergatroid

Similar thing happened to me. I spent a lot of time giving tips and advice, even gave written notes. They came back and told people what an awful time they had. Turns out they just winged it and did not follow any advice.
First thought was why even ask?

Second thought...one less family in line complaining about the lines.

Been there myself too unfortunately. I think the explanation might be that they intended to follow our advice but upon arrival in the parks they were seduced by the many sights, smells and sounds and couldn't resist doing their own thing? When I took the now Mrs Merg for the first time about 15 years back I'd explained to her in advance that I had a pretty great system for navigating the parks with maximum efficiency. I knew which attractions to hit in which order and how to best utilize the paper fastpass system to the max.

Even so it became pretty obvious to me as she looked around the MK in wonderment that it would almost be cruel to tell her we couldn't do certain things till certain times as some were just to tempting for her and she wanted to enjoy them there and then. We compromised somewhat and I was able to rejig our plans and deviate from them from time to time. However had I not been with her I'm sure she'd have scrapped notes and thought "No, I'm doing it the way I want to". Many things in Disney are just too tempting

PlaneCrazy1978

This identical thing happened with my brother. I live in FL, nearby and so I was tagged as the "Disney expert". He'd ask me questions, I'd give him answers, then he'd argue with me that whatever he was saying was the better option. Ok. Fine. He goes, does things his way, then complains all day.

They seem to make decisions that defy logic then when it goes haywire want to blame the person who they never listened to.

AAARGH!!! Family. LOL

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We who are veterans of the Disney lifestyle I think all share this frustration at some point. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people complaining about Disney when it was actually their own fault for being in the situation to start with. I honestly feel like the vast majority of stress on a Disney trip is, more often than not, self induced. It's just that people who don't go there a lot aren't used to the "Disney difference" because they are used to the way most places do business. If Disneyworld is such a stressful and inhospitable place then why do people keep going back again and again? They're not perfect but they are head and shoulders above the competition when you really get down to it.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've gotten really savvy about being the "Disney Person" for the friend of a friend of a friend and how to avoid it ... I tell people I can help them but it’s $20 fee for half an hour of advice or $100 for a 3 hour planning session with the family.
If that were my rates I'd own the Magic Kingdom by now. LOL! People call me constantly for advice or a cash discount through my DVC membership. I actually enjoy helping them though but very few people ever actually accept the 25% discount and opt instead for a value or moderate resort reservation. It's their money and I understand. I just like talking Disney with people.

DfromATX

I'm the Disney expert in my circle. I'm lucky in that I've given advice to two people and both families had a great time. One was a neighbor and she said I helped her more than her travel agent did. I took that as a very nice compliment. :)

My brother, on the other hand, has never been to Disney and is one of those that hates it. Now he's telling me that sooner or later he's going to "have to" go anyway now that Disney owns Star Wars (he loves Star Wars) and that his wife has a sister who lives somewhere in Florida. I'm dreading when that trip happens because I know he will be a complainer no matter what I say to him.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I've gotten to the point where I just tell people not to go. They have this mentality that it's too crowded, too expensive, too kiddie, and too boring to even get into for their kids.

My thing is, I can't believe how many adults have never even been. I'd imagine it's difficult to get into if you're going for the first time at 30.

DfromATX

I've gotten to the point where I just tell people not to go. They have this mentality that it's too crowded, too expensive, too kiddie, and too boring to even get into for their kids.

My thing is, I can't believe how many adults have never even been. I'd imagine it's difficult to get into if you're going for the first time at 30.

I was 36 and my husband around 43 and we love it. I might have even shed a tear on my first trip. :oops:

I'm the Disney Planner in my family and with my friends. Tried planning a trip for a friend's graduation. And they just going "Can you make it cheaper?????" Eventually I just told to plan their own vacation and promptly went to book my trip. Since then they've been bugging me but I'm not giving them the time of day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom