Comcast in talks to buy Dreamworks Animation

celluloid

Although not a smash hit, along with the Christmas classics you would also have Rise of the Guardians which could be another seasonal character hit.

Also, think of the fact that Universal's already successful Dreamworks ventures in their theme parks globally do not need to split merch sales or talk contracts any longer.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Why do they need DreamWorks? Are they expecting to lose Illumination? And as far as the parks go, they've already been using the most popular DW franchises for years, so this doesn't really change anything.
Why did Disney aquire Lucas?
They can use it more and use it for free. And cash in on all the upcoming sequels!

JoeCamel

Why do they need DreamWorks? Are they expecting to lose Illumination? And as far as the parks go, they've already been using the most popular DW franchises for years, so this doesn't really change anything.

1. There are limited animation studios available and animation is hot.

2. They have the money now and it will not be cheaper in the future?

3. Long term planning for the 4th gate on the "new" land they have

4. 475 acres to develop, something has to go there?

JT3000

Why did Disney aquire Lucas?

Because Star Wars is huge. Much bigger than anything DreamWorks has released, especially recently.

They have the money now and it will not be cheaper in the future?

Most analysts agree they already overpaid.

Long term planning for the 4th gate on the "new" land they have

With most of their current franchises arguably past their expiration dates, a DreamWorks land would be filler at best. Plus, if they were really that big on the idea, I have to wonder why they haven't already shown that sort of interest outside of Singapore. They could have done so years ago, and now they would be striking while the iron is cold.

Last edited:

danpam1024

Do you think Comcast/Universal is obtaining these IPs for expansion in the domestic parks (3rd gate in FL- on the newly acquired property) or for expansion in the foreign properties?

lebeau

I stand corrected. Also, looking at the wikipedia page for Universal, Illumination there is listed as a subsidiary.

It will be interesting to see if all the animation subs (there is also a "Universal animation Studios") wind up as one larger Uni subsidiary or if they will all continue to do their own thing. Universal Animation Studios seemed to be mostly about direct to video content - sequels to Land Before Time and 2-d Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, mostly - but they also produce the Curious George series and movies. Haven't done much in the past 8-9 years beyond Curious George, which coincidentally is about when they partnered with Illumination and started developing animated theatrical features. I think we all know who the red headed stepchild is in THAT family.

It was confusing. There was a lot of misinformation out there to sort through. Wikipedia is often good for the broad strokes but gets tripped up on the fine details.

lebeau

This article from Variety is very informative:

Jeff Shell: DreamWorks Animation Deal Turns Chris Meledandri into Universal’s John Lasseter

NBCUniversal has big plans for Chris Meledandri to serve as the creative guru overseeing its animation operations, Jeff Shell, chairman of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, told Variety on Thursday.

NBCU parent Comcast’s $3.8 billion investment in DreamWorks Animation, announced Thursday, is a bold bid to challenge Disney in the family film space. But the studio is being careful to stress that the new acquisition isn’t intended to edge out Meledandri, whose Illumination Entertainment is responsible for the studio’s “Despicable Me” franchise.

“The model that we’re trying to use is John Lasseter,” said Shell, referencing the Pixar co-founder who oversees the creative direction of both Pixar and Disney Animation.

“Chris has built Illumination from scratch, so we want to make sure that whatever we do with Chris, we don’t lose the special sauce that made that place so fantastic,” he added. “The number one most important thing is that he keep running and building Illumination. We believe that’s a strong brand. But his involvement [in DreamWorks Animation] is as much as he can or wants to do.”

DreamWorks Animation’s library includes film and TV toon franchises including “How to Train Your Dragon,” “Shrek,” “Kung Fu Panda” and “Penguins of Madagascar.”

When news of talks first seeped out, analysts and industry insiders wondered if Meledandri’s feathers would be ruffled. However, DreamWorks Animation founder Jeffrey Katzenberg will not be heavily involved in the studio side of the business if the deal is consummated and will instead serve in an advisory capacity, limiting the potential for any clash of executive egos.

“We want to have more of Chris’ involvement, rather than less,” said Shell. “We see this as a way of him having a much larger role.”

The deal for DreamWorks Animation came place quickly, following two weeks of negotiations, Shell said. Consequently, many of the finer points are still being worked out. However, Illumination and DreamWorks Animation will continue to exist as two separate and distinct brands, much as Disney Animation and Pixar operate as two separate spheres. The goal is for both studios to contribute as many as three to four animated films annually.

The Lasseter example could be instructive. After Disney bought Pixar in 2006 for $7.6 billion it tasked the company’s leaders, Ed Catmull and Lasseter, with reinvigorating Disney’s flailing animation unit. In place of flops such as “Home on the Range” and “Brother Bear,” the pair has re-focused the division on producing bolder, more innovative stories, producing hits such as “Frozen,” “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Zootopia.”

Taking over DreamWorks Animation, could involve some navigating some pre-existing corporate relationships. The studio currently has a distribution deal with 20th Century Fox that extends through 2017. When Disney bought Marvel, the studio bought the comic book maker out of an output deal with Paramount Pictures, but that probably will not happen with Fox and DreamWorks Animation. Shell said that the company is likely to let the deal run its course.

Even if Meledandri takes a larger role. Shell said that he also expects to retain DreamWorks Animation’s brain trust. He cited DreamWorks Animation president Ann Daly, television head Marjorie Cohn, and feature animation co-presidents Mireille Soria and Bonnie Arnold, among those he would like to see stay with the company after the sale goes through.
“We spent a lot of money to buy the company and they’re a core part of what we’re buying,” said Shell.

Comcast, which has theme parks and cable assets in its portfolio, was partly driven to write the check out of a desire to better compete with Disney. Under CEO Bob Iger, Disney has moved aggressively in recent years to snap up top brands, shelling out billions of dollars to buy LucasFilm, Pixar, and Marvel. By combining the firepower of Illumination and DreamWorks Animation, Comcast hopes it can grab more land in the family film space, while launching rides, toys and other merchandising lines based around animated characters such as Shrek and Po.

“We’ve separated ourselves a little bit,” said Shell. “When you look at the world of animation, Disney is clearly the leader with Pixar and Disney Animation. Now we’re number two, and hopefully one day we’ll be number one.”

Last edited:

danpam1024

When I told my son (14) about Universal buying Dreamworks, his first response was "when are they putting How to Train Your Dragon" in the parks?" . The book series evolved when he was younger and he absolutely loved it. The movie was better than I think it gets credit for.

Soarin' Over Pgh

If Ruldolph and all of the clay animation cartoons from my childhood are turned into something for Xmas this year at Universal, without a doubt I will change my reservations to make sure I can catch it. Bank on it. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

Is Disney getting nervous yet? We've been saying for YEARS on this board "Disney ought to pay attention to the guys up the road" and "Disney needs to step it up" ... if this acquisition isn't the fish across the face, then nothing is.

Cesar R M

I'm not really arguing the quality of the films, I'm arguing the value of the IP. Aside from Shrek, the other films you mentioned are extremely generic. I couldn't name a single character from Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, or Madagascar. Those films do fine at the box office but they haven't permeated the culture like Pixar or, since I know you don't like the Pixar comparison, Minions.
Can you really name all characters of all pixar movies?

Cesar R M

You kind of proved my point by saying "the penguins" and not "Skipper" or "Kawalski" (I had to Google that). That's like talking about Toy Story and saying "the toys" instead of "Buzz and Woody."

Ask any random person who "King Julian" is without mentioning DreamWorks or Madagascar beforehand and they'll have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Then ask the same person who "Lightning McQueen" is.

*Shrug." YMMV I guess, but Universal already has the Minions. They're already doing what DreamWorks does and arguably better. They could have developed comparable or superior IP in-house a lot cheaper than $3B.
King Julian is secondary character while McQueen is the main character.

If you wanted an apples to apples.. then you should ask "You Know Sally Carrera ?"
You will be surprised.

Your comparisons are pretty silly in trying to undermine Dreamworks.
also "the penguins" are sold that way.. they even have a movie.. you know.. named "The Penguins of Madagascar".

And not to forget... its Kowalski.

As for final point.. How to Train your dragon and Kung fu Panda are huge.
Just because they are not monstrous box hits (they lack the PR power of Disney and the branding) it doesnt means they are not popular.

That's not the point. Not EVERY character needs to be iconic, but I can't name a single DreamWorks character besides Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, Farquad, and Puss in Boots (all from Shrek obviously).

Hang on, so you're saying because YOU CANT.. everyone doesn't?
Lol you're hilarious!
Its even funnier when you just contradicted yourself about characters being iconic.
I cant remember some characters from Pixar. Does it means all Pixar movies suck? (because that seems to be your comparison).

Cesar R M

Illuminations has a tiny portfolio compared to Dreamworks.

I mean, they have only done 6 movies and 2 franchises (Despicable Me, Minions, Dr Seuss)

CaptainAmerica

Come on- don't you know anecdotal evidence is the best evidence? o_O

If his point is that Pixar is more recognizable/popular/successful than Dreamworks- he's telling us something we all already know. Including the chairman of Universal Film- Jeff Shell- who said "When you look at the world of animation, Disney is clearly the leader with Pixar and Disney Animation. Now we’re number two, and hopefully one day we’ll be number one". This acquisition gets them to a solid #2- when they weren't before. And their desire is to use the staff to try to get to Disney/Pixar standards. So uhh @CaptainAmerica ... what is your point again? Pixar > Dreamworks? Got it. Move along...
No, that's not my point. By all means, Comcast, buy Dreamworks. But you're overpaying at $3.8B.

Quinnmac000

dwa-illumination-entertainment-b-o-chart.jpg

What does this graph show...except for the year of Frozen, Illumination and DW films box office revenue combined surpassed that of Pixar and Disney Animation. Now, why wouldn't Comcast you know a film company not want to increase its production level and film revenue that can also be used in its parks.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/dreamwo...n-entertainment-box-office-disney-1201746534/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom