Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

AndyMagic

Original Poster
I'm posting this here because Brian Roberts, Comcast CEO, directly discusses Disney parks.

Via Orlando Sentinel - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-theme-parks-20140107,0,7714951.story

Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners.

"We're doubling down on theme parks," Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts during a conference in Las Vegas that was broadcast online. "We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go."

Comcast's Universal Parks & Resorts operates the third-busiest collection of theme parks in the world, with combined attendance of more than 36 million a year, according to estimates compiled by the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting company AECOM. But it remains far behind the global leader, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which draws more than 126 million theme-park visits per year.

(United Kingdom-based Merlin Entertainments Group, whose attractions include Legoland parks and Madame Tussauds wax museums, is No. 2, with about 54 million visitors.)

NBCUniversal's U.S. theme parks — Universal Studios Florida and Universal's Islands of Adventure, both at Universal Orlando, and Universal Studios Hollywood in Southern California — rank behind only parks at Walt Disney World and Disneyland in attendance.

One reason Comcast is bullish: the impending launch of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — Diagon Alley, a new land expected to open by summer in Universal Studios Florida. It is a follow-up to the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which has delivered record attendance and profit growth since opening in mid-2010.

Comcast also will open its fourth and largest on-site hotel at Universal Orlando, the 1,800-room Cabana Bay Beach Resort, within weeks. Roberts called the hotel, a joint venture with Loews Hotels, the largest hotel under construction in North America, and noted that "we're so underinvested in hotels right now."

With Cabana Bay, Universal Orlando will have about 4,200 on-site hotel rooms, compared with about 26,000 rooms and time-share suites at Disney World. Comcast has said it could have 10,000 to 15,000 rooms in Orlando.

Disney would not comment on Roberts' remarks.

Industry watchers once expected that Comcast would try to shed the theme parks after it acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal from General Electric Co. in 2009. But the Philadelphia-based cable giant — which bought out the rest of GE's stake last year — has since come to view the business as an untapped growth engine, thanks primarily to the financial success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Comcast has since begun construction on a Wizarding World clone at Universal Studios Hollywood.

"The big surprise has been the theme-park business," Roberts said.

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414

AndyMagic

Original Poster
What else would he say?

I'm not sure what you meant by this but the CEO of Comcast stating that the company is "doubling down" on the theme park business, is not exactly "expected." Typically theme parks are volatile and wouldn't be directly discussed as it was here. We've known that Steve Burke was bullish on the parks but now we have Roberts talking about the potential as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ahh I missed it there. I feel as though it belongs here due to the direct Disney discussion in the article but I know anything that mentions Universal tends to be lumped over on that forum.

There are some people here who would insist it belongs on the Uni board since it won't have any effect on Disney. :)

jlsHouston

Old as in already being discussed.

Ahh yes I found the link for the original thread and just finished reading the 7 pages of discussion....We have some very passionate opins going on whether UNI can beat out WDW in the theme park game for attendance numbers....

One thing I think has always been true in a business model is he who has market share is always most vulnerable to erosion in market share...

jlsHouston

Ahh I missed it there. I feel as though it belongs here due to the direct Disney discussion in the article but I know anything that mentions Universal tends to be lumped over on that forum.

Well even if you incorrectly put it here and it's redundant based on the thread going on in the UNI area of the forum, I'm glad I caught it...I didn't even know until just now that we had a UNI forum...:oops:

Matt_Black

One thing I think has always been true in a business model is he who has market share is always most vulnerable to erosion in market share...

Eh. Vince McMahon has pretty much had a lock on pro wrestling for over a decade now with any competition generally failing (and I say that as someone who enjoys TNA/ Impact for what it is when they do things right).

Another example- DC and Marvel. DC had some short lived gains, but they kept going to the same well ("Identity Crisis had rape and murder and that was a huge hit, so let's put more of that into EVERY COMIC"; surprisingly, people eventually got sick of that), and now Marvel is back on top.

WDWDad13

Eh. Vince McMahon has pretty much had a lock on pro wrestling for over a decade now with any competition generally failing (and I say that as someone who enjoys TNA/ Impact for what it is when they do things right).

Another example- DC and Marvel. DC had some short lived gains, but they kept going to the same well ("Identity Crisis had rape and murder and that was a huge hit, so let's put more of that into EVERY COMIC"; surprisingly, people eventually got sick of that), and now Marvel is back on top.

you may be the first person ever to have compared pro wrestling to a theme park battle between wdw and uni haha :)

Matt_Black

No, it came up in another one of the "Disney vs. Uni" threads. It IS an apt comparison though. A lot of what the mainstream audience thinks of as "pro wrestling" comes Vince McMahon, just as what they think of as "theme parks" comes from Disney.

ABQ

No, it came up in another one of the "Disney vs. Uni" threads. It IS an apt comparison though. A lot of what the mainstream audience thinks of as "pro wrestling" comes Vince McMahon, just as what they think of as "theme parks" comes from Disney.
Let me ask you this, Matt, and I'm just assuming you may be old enough to remember when the old WCW came along and signed a bunch of former WWF wrestlers and ran its live Monday show to compete with the original Monday Night Raw WWF shows. Did that not bring out the best competition from both promotions. McMahon developed Stone Cold Steve Austin for the RAW is WAR era; Turner or whoever owned WCW pushed Hollywood Hulk Hogan and all those members of their stable and, though McMahon did win out and, some think, unfortunately bought the WCW and eliminated his competition. However, for a few years, the competition bread some awesome results. Things of course move much slower in a "theme park war" than in scripted live TV, but we can only hope that competition will pull heads out of the butts of TDO and create a better show for all.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Let me ask you this, Matt, and I'm just assuming you may be old enough to remember when the old WCW came along and signed a bunch of former WWF wrestlers and ran its live Monday show to compete with the original Monday Night Raw WWF shows. Did that not bring out the best competition from both promotions. McMahon developed Stone Cold Steve Austin for the RAW is WAR era; Turner or whoever owned WCW pushed Hollywood Hulk Hogan and all those members of their stable and, though McMahon did win out and, some think, unfortunately bought the WCW and eliminated his competition. However, for a few years, the competition bread some awesome results. Things of course move much slower in a "theme park war" than in scripted live TV, but we can only hope that competition will pull heads out of the butts of TDO and create a better show for all.

I do remember that and I'm not a fan of WWF, Back then the shows were MUCH better and not simply a bunch of big guys whacking each other with folding furniture and sometimes I watched just to see the entry theatrics which in many cases were more interesting than the match itself.

I think that's something called SHOW - which TWDC has almost completely forgotten about, People do like a high quality SHOW even if they are not directly interested in the subject matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom