Color Controversy & Splash Mountain

Brer Mickey

Original Poster
With all the controversy surrounding Song of the South, I hate to bring up another discussion on color but it is something that has bothered me for a while and I cannot seem to find the answer. Why does Brer Rabbit have brown fur most of the time and gray fur at other times? As I type this, I am looking at a Splash Mountain picture frame featuring a brown Rabbit right next to a gray Rabbit plush. Both purchased at WDW. Any help? (Please note the "color controversy" was said in ironic jest and NOT meant to open up another endless discussion on racial issues connected to the film)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I doubt it has anything sinister in nature. The actual color of Brer Rabbit in the movie is a grey with a touch of brown with light grey accents. When these plushes get made, the color choices for the material tend to be pretty limited and will vary from year to year, manufacturer to manufacturer, etc. They will simply select which ever color is close to what they want. You also run into an issue with who is doing the ordering. When you have a muddied color like brownish grey some people will lean more towards the brown while others will lean towards the grey when trying to make a color match.

Cmdr_Crimson

It looks like it goes even further than Splash Mountain..I found these Images showing him in different color fur..
10.jpg
60.jpg

Then you look at his version in the parks and he's mixed with brown/grey fur..
brer-rabbit-2-2.jpg

Yert3

With all the controversy surrounding Song of the South, I hate to bring up another discussion on color but it is something that has bothered me for a while and I cannot seem to find the answer. Why does Brer Rabbit have brown fur most of the time and gray fur at other times? As I type this, I am looking at a Splash Mountain picture frame featuring a brown Rabbit right next to a gray Rabbit plush. Both purchased at WDW. Any help? (Please note the "color controversy" was said in ironic jest and NOT meant to open up another endless discussion on racial issues connected to the film)
This is something I've always wondered. Br'er Rabbit is brown. There is no question about that. They only time he appears gray is in Splash Mountain at WDW and Tokyo Disneyland. He's even brown on the signs for the attractions which makes no sense. Why can't they do something as simple as keeping the colors consistent, I have no idea.

I_heart_Tigger

I don't have a photo but I have one of the old records (yes vinyl) where, I swear he is orange on the cover. Not just brown but orange. It's packed away in an attic right now but if I dig it out I will post.

This is something I've always wondered. Br'er Rabbit is brown. There is no question about that. .

Respectfully - I would say there IS some question about that since, if I recall in the movie most of the time he was grey and wouldn't that be the basis of what the Disney character should be?

I'll use this pic since it has my favourite character from the movie and the ride - Brer Frog. Looks more grey than brown to me but I can see the argument for brown as well. Must be like my eyes - grey today, green tomorrow :)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8745/south4kj9.jpg

Yert3

I don't have a photo but I have one of the old records (yes vinyl) where, I swear he is orange on the cover. Not just brown but orange. It's packed away in an attic right now but if I dig it out I will post.

Respectfully - I would say there IS some question about that since, if I recall in the movie most of the time he was grey and wouldn't that be the basis of what the Disney character should be?

I'll use this pic since it has my favourite character from the movie and the ride - Brer Frog. Looks more grey than brown to me but I can see the argument for brown as well. Must be like my eyes - grey today, green tomorrow :)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8745/south4kj9.jpg
Well he looks brown in the pic you posted. To me at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom