Colonial Williamsburg

eeyoremum

Original Poster
Hello fellow Disney fans,

I am planning a trip to your nation's Capitol in about a week. Sadly, not Disney. Anyway, about 30 years ago I went on a school trip to Williamsburg and remember loving it. I would like to go back but my the only family member who is as nuts about history as me is not travelling with us.

Has anybody been or live in the area? Is it great, so, so or not worth it? My husband is really only interested in the shops if that helps. We will be driving almost 11 hours to get there so I want everyone to have fun. Should we skip it and just spend more time in DC? We are also thinking of heading to Gattysburg because it is on the way.

I live in fear that it will be MGM in 2003 when I dragged the family on the backlot tour that a was really cool when I was there last in 1990. Yeah, that didn't go so well.

Thank you

Lucky

If Gettysburg is on your way to DC, then Williamsburg would be way out of your way. Sometimes traffic on I-95 south from DC toward Williamsburg can be terrible. So whatever Mapquest estimates in terms of time to get there could be optimistic. I'd look at the Colonial Williamsburg web site with your family, and if they don't get excited about it - or Busch Gardens, or Jamestown, very close by - I'd skip it.

Gettysburg and the DC area have plenty to keep you busy.

KeithVH

Grew up there. The early 80s was, what I could consider their last hurrah. In the 60s and 70s, the whole area was amazing, especially as a schoolkid. Tours were really informative and not campy. Back when ginger cookies were still baked in the external back kitchen of the Raleigh Tavern (pretty much the best cookie ever made and hot out of the oven). Busch Gardens wasn't really needed to have a great 1-2 days there (as a HS senior, my band was chosen for their opening ceremonies but IT, at least, is better now). At one time, you couldn't get much closer to an accurate representation of that period in the history of America.

Rockefeller would be rolling in his grave now. So commercialized and spoon fed to tourists who neither know enough or care enough to realize what they are missing. Cheap/crappy sandwich stands on Duke of Gloucester street! Many public demonstrations at the Armory have ceased. Crowds make much of it VERY un-fun.

If you will be in D.C., stay there and spend the time on the Mall. The Smithsonian alone is well worth the time.

eeyoremum

Original Poster
Thank you both. I was afraid my memory of a great place would not be the reality. I think will will just stay in DC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom