CMs: how bad/good is tipping at WDW restaurants?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am not a server at Disney, but have plenty of friends that are. It is NOT easy getting a full time serving position at Disney. My advice is take what you can get, even if it's part time in a restaurant at the bottom of thetotempole. Disney is all about seniority, and when something opens you can pounce on it. In the meantime, you can get a serving job elsewhere and wait it out. It's few and far between that you can get a good paying gig somewhere from the get go, so be patient. Casting is the way to go, and they will set you up with what you need. Be persistent, friendly, and continue to prove yourself, by knowing about food and wine. There are way too many servers that could care less, and no nothing about what they're serving. Managers like to see passion. If you end up with a full time gig at one of the "signature restaurants" or one that turns over tables like crazy, it is not unreasonable to make upwards of $60+k/year.

Read more:http://www.city-data.com/forum/orla...ver-disney-world-hollywood.html#ixzz3jgrzpYWI
Well, I'm sold....

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Asking others to do something that can result in disciplinary action or termination is pretty serious stuff.

And talking generally about "doing well" or not and/or in comparison to non-Disney jobs is grounds for disciplinary action or termination? And if so, I who do not work at Disney am supposed to magically know that?

I have a pretty decent amount of "big company" experience, and commonly it is inadvisable to discuss your particular pay-rate with other employees, but not to discuss general terms such as how busy a place is on different days of the week, and how many people stiff you for tips.

But let me be clear, since the issue was raised, of course it was never my intention to ask a CM to do something that actually could result in disciplinary action or termination. And all anyone had to do was say that up front. Or simply not respond.

That said, anonymous. Chat. Board.

mouse_luv

And talking generally about "doing well" or not and/or in comparison to non-Disney jobs is grounds for disciplinary action or termination? And if so, I who do not work at Disney am supposed to magically know that?

I have a pretty decent amount of "big company" experience, and commonly it is inadvisable to discuss your particular pay-rate with other employees, but not to discuss general terms such as how busy a place is on different days of the week, and how many people stiff you for tips.

But let me be clear, since the issue was raised, of course it was never my intention to ask a CM to do something that actually could result in disciplinary action or termination. And all anyone had to do was say that up front. Or simply not respond.

You'd be surprised how quickly Disney could figure out who a CM was here that opened their mouth "anonymously". Just ask "Danielia" and many others that are no longer here for "reasons".

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I am not a server at Disney, but have plenty of friends that are. It is NOT easy getting a full time serving position at Disney. My advice is take what you can get, even if it's part time in a restaurant at the bottom of thetotempole. Disney is all about seniority, and when something opens you can pounce on it. In the meantime, you can get a serving job elsewhere and wait it out. It's few and far between that you can get a good paying gig somewhere from the get go, so be patient. Casting is the way to go, and they will set you up with what you need. Be persistent, friendly, and continue to prove yourself, by knowing about food and wine. There are way too many servers that could care less, and no nothing about what they're serving. Managers like to see passion. If you end up with a full time gig at one of the "signature restaurants" or one that turns over tables like crazy, it is not unreasonable to make upwards of $60+k/year.

Read more:http://www.city-data.com/forum/orla...ver-disney-world-hollywood.html#ixzz3jgrzpYWI

And? You think someone is rich if they make $60K a year? Do you begrudge them? Because making that much in tips is evidence of a whole lot of hard work.

lazyboy97o

It is just best that Cast Members generally keep quiet. Disney has become quite adept at figuring out who even entry level Cast Members are on message boards and social media channels.

Disnee4Me

I wonder how many foreigners don't tip, though. I live in a country which doesn't tip, yet everyone knows that you have to tip in America. I would bet most people would know better than to not tip at all, though perhaps they might not know how much. I usually tip 20% anyway if the server was really good, which in Disney they usually are pretty great in my experience. I would expect tips to be better in a place like Disney than at standard restaurants. I wonder.
When in Italy 3 years ago, my husband left a generous tip at the local restaurant in my mom's hometown and the waitress came running after him to thank him ... she was floored. Thought she was about to hug and kiss him...LOL:joyfull:

Bparso87

I always tip 18% but food is overpriced at Disney. I have tipped 30$ for a family of 4 when the food quality is on par with a Applebee's.

emcclay

I have heard everything from walk-out's to auto grat to having to leaving $100 for one drink to needing to round up to hundreds of dollars on each bill. You get everything here!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom