CM Housing... need help

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
I live in New York, and I am applying to be a seasonal CM at WDW this summer, but I do not have a car, so I need to rent an apartment that has access to the Linx bus or other transportation that goes to Disney. Does anyone know of good places, or at least a general area that would be near Linx or other transportation. I am used to New York City where everything is close together, so I don't know how to go about finding the right place. I'm using rent.com, but it doesn't have a transportation specification, so all I can think of doing is calling each place I consider to ask about transportation. This is crazy! Any help would be appriciated a lot! Thanks!!

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
Thankfully, I am only there this May and June (starting in a few days) so I'm not worried about future conversions into condos.

Does anyone know what areas of Orlando have access to the Linx bus? Downtown Orlando, maybe?

By the way, are there any "sketchy" areas that I should stay away from?

PigletIsMyCat

joeyjoe92979 said:
Good luck renting an apartment near WDW or anywhere in the Orlando area, all the apartment complexes are being converted to condos and sold for starting at $300,000 and up.

There are plenty of places that are not going condo. Alot of cast members live at an apartment complex called (I think) Buena Vista Apartments. I've driven past it while driving through Disney. There are a few places off-property that aren't too expensive, but good luck getting into them. Alot of them had waiting lists. I was just down in Orlando looking for apartments and there isn't too much to be had immediately in nice neighborhoods.

That being said, be careful where you look in Kissimee, because it has nasty spots. And alot of stuff on rent.com is going or has gone condo, we learned that the hard way. There are also alot of CMs at Empirian at World Gateway, but the management sucks really bad and they charge alot for month-to-month leases. Good luck with it. And, why a seasonal CM for May and June? It's so hot in FLA. Why not January and February, when it's cold as anything in NYC?

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
Thanks a lot... I'll check out that housing. Uh... I really hope it's not too late to get housing within a week. If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to let me know. Thanks again.

typhoonguy

Cast Portal

I would suggest checking the Cast Classifieds on the portal. There are LOTS of people (52 when i checked yesterday) looking for roomates anywhere from 200 to 550 a month. As far as Lynx transporation, there is a stop at the Emperian at World Gateway (btw which I've never had a problem with management, nor has it ever taken more than 12 hours to get anything fixed or taken care of), there's another stop near the Camden at world gateway, stops at Alexandria and Parc Vue, so on and so forth. You may also have good luck checking the portal for cheap transportation. Saw adds for multiple vehicles for 200 to 300 dollars advertised as 'running'. I'm sure they're no peaches, but transporation is transportation. Point 'A' to point 'B', right? I do like the Emperian, but it is very pricey and very full.

I say your best bet is to check the portal for people searching for roomies.

bjprice

Housing and Public Transportation to WDW

There is public transportation. Route 50 cycles every half hour during daylight hours. It starts at the downtown Orlando station makes a stop by Sea World and the WDW Ticket and Transportation Center and the Disney University. I live downtown and ride it when gas hits $3.00/gal. It costs $1.50 per trip and takes just over an hour.

There is a similar route that starts at a mall in Kissimmee (route 56) with stops at the TTC and DU.

I have an unfurnished loft that I rent to CPs for $400/mo. I also have apartments listed at Craigs list. Guaranteed to not go condo.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/apa/165375016.html

If You Had Wing

PhilosophyMagic said:
I live in New York, and I am applying to be a seasonal CM at WDW this summer, but I do not have a car, so I need to rent an apartment that has access to the Linx bus or other transportation that goes to Disney. Does anyone know of good places, or at least a general area that would be near Linx or other transportation. I am used to New York City where everything is close together, so I don't know how to go about finding the right place. I'm using rent.com, but it doesn't have a transportation specification, so all I can think of doing is calling each place I consider to ask about transportation. This is crazy! Any help would be appriciated a lot! Thanks!!

Good luck with your search. Be careful with Rent.com. They promised me a $100 rebarte for using them as a reference, and then when you ask for the $100 rebate, they disappear. It seems like that company (Rent.com) is run by computers and not humans.

If You Had Wing

Cast Classifieds, The Portal

typhoonguy said:
I would suggest checking the Cast Classifieds on the portal.

Forgive me, but what is "The Portal"? Is that web site? A newsletter? I'm dying to see it, whatever it is. Please post. Thanks!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If You Had Wing said:
Forgive me, but what is "The Portal"? Is that web site? A newsletter? I'm dying to see it, whatever it is. Please post. Thanks!
He's referring to the Cast Portal, which is a Cast Member only, password restricted, website.

If You Had Wing

bjprice said:
I have an unfurnished loft that I rent to CPs for $400/mo.

What's a CP? :hammer: Is that the same as a Cast Member?

Also, I'm curious, what exactly is a loft? Is that an upstairs area that has no wall on one side?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If You Had Wing said:
What's a CP? :hammer: Is that the same as a Cast Member?

Also, I'm curious, what exactly is a loft? Is that an upstairs area that has no wall on one side?
CP is short for College Program.

and

Yes!:wave:

If You Had Wing

Where's Cast Portal?

I just got back from Disney and got :hammer: hired! :hammer: I wish finding housing was as easy as it was to get hired. How do I get into the Cast Portal web site?
:king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king:​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom