Club Cool Closing? (FALSE RUMOR)

Fractal514

Original Poster
I just returned from a trip down to Florida and observed/heard something interesting (please forgive me if this has been posted but a quick scan and a quick search didn't turn it up).

Club Cool, one of my favorite spots to stop and relax for a few minutes, was only offering about half of the usual flavors. The odd thing was it wasn't uniform on each drink dispenser. Though many of them lacked the same flavors one or two would have some left while others were all out. Beverly and a few others were readily available at all stations. My friends and I chalked it up to a delayed syrup shipment and went on out way.

A few days later my friend returned and asked the cashier who told him that the were letting the syrup run out and when it was done they'd be closing and turning the place into a Ghiardelli Chocolate and Soda Fountain.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Was this part of the larger story about Starbucks and it got lost in the shuffle? Personally, I don't care about Starbucks and the Main Street Bakery or Fountain View, but dammit will I be ed if we loose Club Cool as a result.

UPDATE RAXIP posted the following which seems to have been confirmed as true.

Club Cool is not closing, but it is getting some new flavors starting Oct 30.

• Fanta Pineapple. With more than 90 distinct flavors available in more than 180 countries, Fanta made its European debut in the 1940s and was introduced to the USA in 1960. Fanta Pineapple is caffeine-free and features a sweet pineapple taste.
  • Originally launched in Japan in 1992, VegitaBeta is a non-carbonated beverage with apricot and passion fruit flavors and is rich in beta-carotene that contributes to its unique yellowish-orange color.
  • Fanta (Melon Frosty) is the number one soft drink of Thailand. With a fun melon flavor, this carbonated beverage is beloved in Thailand's sunny, tropical climate.
  • Originally created in 1998, Bibo is a fruit flavored line of juice drinks popular in South Africa. The brand features fun characters such as Johnny Orange, Taka Strawberry and Paolo Peach.
  • A raspberry flavored cream soda, Sparberry launched in Africa in 1955. It is exclusively available in several countries in southeast Africa.
  • Guarana Kuat is a guarana berry flavored soft drink first launched in Brazil in 1997. The word guarana comes from the Guaraní word guara-ná, which translates to "fruit like the eyes of the people."
  • Known as "The Taste of Peru," Inca Kola has an unusually sweet fruity flavor that many compare to the taste of liquid bubblegum. The name refers to the Quechua words for king and queen.
  • Beverly, with its bitter flavor, is a popular non-alcoholic apéritif that is a traditional part of Italian refreshment culture.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am honestly surprised that the place is still open. I can not see how this place makes a dime. I would welcome a Ghirardelli Chocolate and Soda Fountain in that location with open arms.

Sure, I would miss tricking people with Beverly, but I will drown my sorrows in a Mint Bliss.
Yep I'm with you on that. Something new in that location would be welcome. The novelty of seeing people try Beverly is long over.

Ariel484

I am honestly surprised that the place is still open. I can not see how this place makes a dime. I would welcome a Ghirardelli Chocolate and Soda Fountain in that location with open arms.

Sure, I would miss tricking people with Beverly, but I will drown my sorrows in a Mint Bliss.
That's pretty much exactly how I feel. It's neat trying stuff from other countries and neat to get something for free, but I'd love a Ghirardelli there.
Don't they still have the ice cream parlor (I think Edy's) in the same building or next door?
That's the location of the new Starbucks...Fountainview.

Ignohippo

I love the place but they never have had much more than half the flavors in the many times we've been there and I'm sure some of the novelty has worn off now that Coke has their 100 flavor fountains in so many restaurants.

They could probably do the same thing in half the space and be much more popular if it were near the entrance to the World Showcase!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's pretty much exactly how I feel. It's neat trying stuff from other countries and neat to get something for free, but I'd love a Ghirardelli there.

That's the location of the new Starbucks...Fountainview.
What would have been great was if you could actually buy the sodas for other countries. With all of our trips to Epcot over more than a decade we have purchased one of the slurpee like things they have there and a package of gummy bears. I spent more on my first trip to the Starbucks next door.

pixargal

I really hope this is a false rumor. In the last ten years there has been a shutdown of some unique experiences at Epcot. It is so sad when you add it all up:
WoL pavillion, Tapestry of Nations parade, Lights of Winter archway, Nestle junior chef program, roping off the Viking ship, and maybe this. Glad we got to experience them when we did.

Ariel484

What would have been great was if you could actually buy the sodas for other countries. With all of our trips to Epcot over more than a decade we have purchased one of the slurpee like things they have there and a package of gummy bears. I spent more on my first trip to the Starbucks next door.
Agreed. Like @Ignohippo said above, I always thought it would make more sense in the World Showplace plaza or something. And like you said in your first post, Club Cool probably wasn't so profitable for them, but for me personally, I'll definitely be stopping in at Starbucks and most likely Ghiradelli as well. I really like Ghiradelli but don't always make it to Downtown Disney, so this would be a nice option.

msteel

Club Cool was a hit for our family on our last visit. We will miss it if it goes away. But we never bought anything there, just "tasted" large quantities of <soda>|<pop>|<soft drink>|<coke> (choose your preferred localization).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I really hope this is a false rumor. In the last ten years there has been a shutdown of some unique experiences at Epcot. It is so sad when you add it all up:
WoL pavillion, Tapestry of Nations parade, Lights of Winter archway, Nestle junior chef program, roping off the Viking ship, and maybe this. Glad we got to experience them when we did.
But Club Cool is just a marketing operation for Coca Cola. They could make much better use of that space.

WWWD

I like Club Cool! I can get the kids a "free" soda to cool them off. It beats buying each kid a three dollar, 20 ounce soda that they take a few sips out of and then let it get warm. So then we walk around with warm sodas half the day until finally just tossing them.

muteki

But Club Cool is just a marketing operation for Coca Cola. They could make much better use of that space.
A tasty one though, and you can't really find anything similar other than the coke factory in Atlanta.

I would agree that it would be nice to be relocated to World Showcase...don't really think Ghiradelli is any more of an appropriate fit though. It would be a major bummer to lose Club Cool, some of those drinks you can't get anywhere else (easily...)

The freestyle machines are nice, but can't duplicate many of the flavors at Club Cool.
Though I doubt anyone would buy a big gulp sized Beverly.
I'd buy most of the drinks there if they sold them. They are throwing away money by not doing it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom