Club 32 - World's Fair, Discoveryland, and Tomorrowland

Corey

Just to give my insight on placement:p... They could do a mini-land (or a smaller land for Star Wars) between Discoveryland & Fantasyland outside the train tracks. If it's at Walt Disney Studios, (which desperately needs additions) it would work perfectly in its current design. In fact it needs to happens! But Marvel might be a better choice first. I strongly disagree with Star Wars invading Space Mountain permanently at DLP -- it's style does not suit Star Wars at all like at Disneyland in California. The back of Discoveryland is almost like a mini-land as it is more retro futuristic (80'sesque).

I definitely think The War of the Worlds would work although to be completely honest, I only know of it by name and not really anything else. Would the launch (catapult cannon) make sense story wise? Like could it be renamed without altering the structure?

Going back to the talk of Walt Disney Studios... It's not only in dire need of something new (especially an aesthetically pleasing land), but the entire park, on a scale far larger than California Adventure & HWS, needs to completely be redone. This includes all the sidewalks, facades, and landscaping.

I'd say if Fantasmic! would ever go in the park it would have to go on the left side of WDS (in an arena like HWS) as to have minimal impact upon Disneyland Parc Paris, and I'm certain that they would love to put in a true night show in that park if they were to spend billions, so there's that to consider.

While there is nothing in the novel about human spacecraft or rockets fighting back, I suppose you could add it in anachronistically. I'm attaching a picture that I think is in the public domain. One has a depiction of the alien machines fighting a British naval vessel. Disney could probably create the alien machines for Space Mountain with a similar design. The other picture, which I was unable to attach, is licensed, but it is from an advertisement for the 1950's Paramount film, The War of the Worlds. You can find pictures from Wikipedia depicting the alien craft. The problem for Disney would be securing the rights to that design from Paramount. In the past, Paramount has placed attractions in Universal Studios parks when they couldn't place them in their own parks. It is really iffy whether Disney could secure the rights, but I believe the 1950's movie has the most widely seen depiction of the alien ships in The War of the Worlds. I'll attach the picture now:

Correa-Martians_vs._Thunder_Child.jpg

Corey

What if Space Mountain: The War of the Worlds (or Space Mountain: La Guerre Des Mondes) was set on a Lunar (Moon) Base that is being attacked by Martian invaders. Your mission (the ride) would then revolve around outmaneuvering the alien vessels as you try to deliver vital information back to Earth on how to overcome the alien vessel's defenses. You could then still have the exterior launch sequence found at the Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris. Plus, it would be a different take on The War of the Worlds, so you probably wouldn't run into as many intellectual property/trademark issues.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
What if Space Mountain: The War of the Worlds was set on a Lunar (Moon) Base that is being attacked by Martian invaders. Your mission (the ride) would then revolve around outmaneuvering the alien vessels as you try to deliver vital information back to Earth on how to overcome the alien vessel's defenses. You could then still have the exterior launch sequence found at the Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris. Plus, it would be a different take on The War of the Worlds, so you probably wouldn't run into as many intellectual property/trademark issues.
409ce0439f384526398923b80c206181_oh-snap-oh-snap-meme_575-398.jpeg

Corey

It would be like the ultimate planetarium in that the projections of constellations and stars would be above and below you. Therefore, it would be like no other attraction elsewhere. Would you place it between Main Street U.S.A. and Tomorrowland?

Attachments

• Soaring Cosmos.jpg
    Soaring Cosmos.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 36

kmbmw777

What if Space Mountain: The War of the Worlds (or Space Mountain: La Guerre Des Mondes) was set on a Lunar (Moon) Base that is being attacked by Martian invaders. Your mission (the ride) would then revolve around outmaneuvering the alien vessels as you try to deliver vital information back to Earth on how to overcome the alien vessel's defenses. You could then still have the exterior launch sequence found at the Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris. Plus, it would be a different take on The War of the Worlds, so you probably wouldn't run into as many intellectual property/trademark issues.
One of the things which I think makes space mountain so beautiful is its lack of a plot. You don;t really have to think - where am I flying to. You're just flying. SO if they did this, I would like for the plot to be not too intrusive. If guests want to notice it, they will, but otherwise they wouldn't notice it.

D Hulk

One of the things which I think makes space mountain so beautiful is its lack of a plot. You don;t really have to think - where am I flying to. You're just flying. SO if they did this, I would like for the plot to be not too intrusive. If guests want to notice it, they will, but otherwise they wouldn't notice it.
If we did a War of the Worlds Space Mountain as well as a Soarin' Through the Cosmos, then one ride can cover plot and the other can be a beautiful experiential flight.

kmbmw777

If we did a War of the Worlds Space Mountain as well as a Soarin' Through the Cosmos, then one ride can cover plot and the other can be a beautiful experiential flight.
Space Mountain would be the plot based ride, I am guessing? It would be difficult to convey a plot in a thrill ride. The plot would most likely have to be conveyed in the preshow, and the ride used for visual effects which relate to the War of Worlds.

D Hulk

Space Mountain would be the plot based ride, I am guessing? It would be difficult to convey a plot in a thrill ride. The plot would most likely have to be conveyed in the preshow, and the ride used for visual effects which relate to the War of Worlds.
Yeah, plot for Space Mountain. Hyperspace Mountain actually does a really good job of covering a (very very simplistic) plot. It's as you describe: A space battle is explained in the queue with a single Admiral Ackbar video, then the ride uses Star Wars projection effects and John Williams' music so it feels you're flying an X-Wing. A War of the Worlds space battle could easily work like this.

kmbmw777

Yeah, plot for Space Mountain. Hyperspace Mountain actually does a really good job of covering a (very very simplistic) plot. It's as you describe: A space battle is explained in the queue with a single Admiral Ackbar video, then the ride uses Star Wars projection effects and John Williams' music so it feels you're flying an X-Wing. A War of the Worlds space battle could easily work like this.
I am yet to ride it. But the main concern I have with conveying this over to War of Worlds is how many more people are less familiar with that plotline (I have never read the book so I have no idea how simple/complex this is). Everyone knows the battle between the Empire and the Rebellion. But we would have to probably convey why the battle in this ride is occurring and provide more background, because of the unfamiliarity of the source text amongst the current generation.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I'm personally a Space Mountain purist (as can be seen by my username:p) however the overlays done in Disneyland are pretty great.

As an aside though -- if War of the Worlds is a full time attraction then I don't think there is any need to call it "Space Mountain: War of the Worlds" -- It could just be War of the Worlds or something akin to that if its permanent and not an overlay.

kmbmw777

I'm personally a Space Mountain purist (as can be seen by my username:p) however the overlays done in Disneyland are pretty great.

As an aside though -- if War of the Worlds is a full time attraction then I don't think there is any need to call it "Space Mountain: War of the Worlds" -- It could just be War of the Worlds or something akin to that if its permanent and not an overlay.
However, I still think some form of the iconic building should be used for this attraction

Corey

I am yet to ride it. But the main concern I have with conveying this over to War of Worlds is how many more people are less familiar with that plotline (I have never read the book so I have no idea how simple/complex this is). Everyone knows the battle between the Empire and the Rebellion. But we would have to probably convey why the battle in this ride is occurring and provide more background, because of the unfamiliarity of the source text amongst the current generation.

Converting Space Mountain to a War of the Worlds theme would be in conjunction with the creation of a Star Wars Land at neighboring Walt Disney Studios Park (Disneyland Paris' Hollywood Studios).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom