Club 32 Lounge

Disney Dad 3000

@spacemt354

This has nothing to do with Club 32 but I thought I'd ask you. I'm designing my Marvel park (just to post) and I'm wondering in a non castle park, how many attractions are there expected to be?

I'll leave it to space for the expert opinion I'm assuming you'd plan to locate it near DL, WDW, etc. I think you can look at AK and HS for a good starting point though I know they both get debated quite a bit on if they are full day/half day, etc.
For instance a lot of folks will say HS even before some recent closures it wasn't a full day. I have a little one, but even then we like to do most everything we can when we go, so we are doing shows, etc (not as much meet and greet yet). I like to linger and enjoy so it's pretty much always a full day for us.
I think with maybe 2-3 more rides, AK will be pretty close to perfect in my eyes. But it also has a lot of scenery to take your focus, but then not everbody likes that.
All that rambling aside, maybe at minimum 7-8 rides, and then start stacking M&G and any extracirricular you can on top of that (collector museum walk through, shield academy, etc)

mickeyfan5534

Here's the last of the event outlines before I actually leave.

Walt Disney's Celebration of Stories (June - August)
For over 75 years, the Disney Animated Canon has sent us on daring adventures, beautiful romances, and through fantastic events. This is a celebration of those stories. This is a celebration of magic. This is a celebration of Once Upon a Time and Happily Ever After. This is Walt Disney's Celebration of Stories, where a wish on a star unlocks the magic of every story.

Remember the Stories
An all new Disney musical classic takes us on an enchanting journey every day on Castle Stage as a celebration of stories from Snow White all the way to Moana transforms Castle Stage into a grand timeline of Disney memories.

Disney Stories on Parade
Disney classics come to life as decades of Disney history come together as beautiful floats, hundreds of Disney characters, and a magical moment every minute in this celebration of memories.

Storybook Symphony
This nighttime show transforms Fantasia Castle and Castle Stage into a beautiful symphony of stars. From the opening strains of once upon a time, the longing to be part of something, the friendships we make, the love we find, and the beginnings of our happily ever after, Storybook Symphony is a spectacular dream come true for everyone.

Disney's Halloween (September - November 1)
The Disney Villains have escaped the walls of Shadowland and run amok through Disneyland Sydney, taking over every part of the park.

Disney Villains Halloween Celebration
The Disney Villains have taken over Mickey's Disneyland Celebration. Their celebration of Halloween spooks and screams casts a wicked curse over the park as it is transformed into a terrible kingdom of nightmares and dark magic.

Disney Maleficious Halloween Spook-tacular
As Mickey and Friends begin their Halloween party on Castle Stage, Maleficent arrives uninvited and shows the group what a real Halloween party should be with the help of the Disney Villains

Disney's Halloween Parade "Villains Take Over"
In their continuing efforts to enjoy Disney's Halloween, Mickey and Friends take to the streets to celebrate in a grand parade, but as the floats stop and a party begins, the Villains arrive once more to stop the fun and make the curse even more powerful, but Mickey and Friends have a plan this time...

Disney Villains Halloween Bash
The Disney Villains become victorious as they celebrate the night on Castle Stage with a rock and roll party that villains of all ages can enjoy.

Nightmare in the Stars
This seasonal edition of Fairytale in the Stars sees Chernabog rising from Castle Stage to make the evil curse on Disneyland Sydney last forever in a medley of the most villainous songs in the land.

Disney's Halloween Parade "Villains Victory Night"
The Disney Villains celebrate their victory as they've taken over the daytime Halloween parade. But when desperate measures begin, all it takes is a touch of magic and some pixie dust for the side of good to strike back and destroy the evil curse set on the park.

Disney's Magical Christmas (November - January)
A special magic takes over Disneyland Sydney as Christmas takes over the park with decorations and special entertainment all around the park.

Mickey's Christmas Celebration
This seasonal edition of Mickey's Disneyland Celebration casts a jolly spell over Disneyland Sydney as joy and wonder of the season takes over the park.

Mickey's Merry Christmas
Mickey and Friends plan a Christmas party for everyone in the park to enjoy. As more and more guests arrive on Castle Stage and the party gets larger and larger, a special guest arrives with a sack full of toys and gifts for everyone.

Christmas Dreams on Parade
Christmas joy spreads to the parade route in this magical cavalcade of Christmas dreams and wishes.

Enchanted Christmas Ball
This special Christmas gift from the Disney Princesses and their Princes lights up the grand Christmas Tree in the center of the hub and sends magic out over the land as Fantasia Castle is covered in shimmering ice in this touching, romantic holiday moment.

Disney Christmas Wishes
This nighttime spectacular on Castle Stage sees Mickey Mouse making a wish for everyone to share in a moment of peace and love as fairies of winter send him on a journey to discover what magic lies when you wish on a Christmas star

Holiday Fairytale in the Stars
Believe in the magic of the Holidays as Mickey Mouse takes guests on an enchanted journey through the holiday season.

Disneyland Sydney Electrical Parade: Nightfall Christmas
The Disneyland Sydney Electrical Parade: Nightfall Magic takes on a special mood as decorations hang on all the floats while bells and beautiful new orchestrations of Christmas songs are added into the parade loop.

And now I take my leave. I'll lurk around every now and then to keep up but for the most part, I'll be gone until I return from Paris.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
@spacemt354

This has nothing to do with Club 32 but I thought I'd ask you. I'm designing my Marvel park (just to post) and I'm wondering in a non castle park, how many attractions are there expected to be?
I'll leave it to space for the expert opinion I'm assuming you'd plan to locate it near DL, WDW, etc. I think you can look at AK and HS for a good starting point though I know they both get debated quite a bit on if they are full day/half day, etc.
For instance a lot of folks will say HS even before some recent closures it wasn't a full day. I have a little one, but even then we like to do most everything we can when we go, so we are doing shows, etc (not as much meet and greet yet). I like to linger and enjoy so it's pretty much always a full day for us.
I think with maybe 2-3 more rides, AK will be pretty close to perfect in my eyes. But it also has a lot of scenery to take your focus, but then not everbody likes that.
All that rambling aside, maybe at minimum 7-8 rides, and then start stacking M&G and any extracirricular you can on top of that (collector museum walk through, shield academy, etc)
Appreciate the compliment even though I'm sure there are much better authorities for this than me:bookworm: Anyway -- like Disney Dad had mentioned, park attraction lists are good barometers for how many attractions there would be.

And it also depends on whether your first draft will be 'Phase 1' on opening day, or a more completed version of the park. If your decision is the former, then for instance Hollywood Studios opened with just 2 rides. But for a more natural opening, DAK opened with this 'attraction lineup' of 12.

Affection Section, Conservation Station, DINOSAUR, Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder, Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, Habitat Habit!, It's Tough to Be a Bug!, Journey into the Jungle Book, Kilimanjaro Safaris, The Boneyard, Wildlife Express Train

and then expanded over time with Kali River Rapids, Chester/Hester, Expedition Everest, and now Pandora.

However, if you compare it to Disney's California Adventure, that park has more attractions (many of which are smaller scale B/C Tickets to boost the count.)

So in regard to attraction count, I don't think there's a perfect number, but rather a reasonable range if you want to keep realism in check. And that range is probably a max of 5-6 E-Tickets, and then a variety of other attractions (shows, walkthroughs, B/C/D Tickets, and so on) to bring the total to 15-30 attractions depending on how in-depth they are.

Hopefully that helps!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Appreciate the compliment even though I'm sure there are much better authorities for this than me:bookworm: Anyway -- like Disney Dad had mentioned, park attraction lists are good barometers for how many attractions there would be.

And it also depends on whether your first draft will be 'Phase 1' on opening day, or a more completed version of the park. If your decision is the former, then for instance Hollywood Studios opened with just 2 rides. But for a more natural opening, DAK opened with this 'attraction lineup' of 12.

Affection Section, Conservation Station, DINOSAUR, Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder, Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, Habitat Habit!, It's Tough to Be a Bug!, Journey into the Jungle Book, Kilimanjaro Safaris, The Boneyard, Wildlife Express Train

and then expanded over time with Kali River Rapids, Chester/Hester, Expedition Everest, and now Pandora.

However, if you compare it to Disney's California Adventure, that park has more attractions (many of which are smaller scale B/C Tickets to boost the count.)

So in regard to attraction count, I don't think there's a perfect number, but rather a reasonable range if you want to keep realism in check. And that range is probably a max of 5-6 E-Tickets, and then a variety of other attractions (shows, walkthroughs, B/C/D Tickets, and so on) to bring the total to 15-30 attractions depending on how in-depth they are.

Hopefully that helps!
To continue with one more thing, if your plan is to develop it into a more completed park rather than just an opening day lineup, then it could be helpful to plan out yourself an itinerary for how to make it a full day park for guests.

For instance, Hollywood Studios for the last few years has been a half-day park.

We can plan it out with FP+ to get to the park at 9am. Ride Toy Story with a minimal wait. Then head over to our Fastpasses for Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. We've hit the top rides by the latest 10:30am. Then we can head over to either Star Tours or Great Movie Ride (whichever we don't have a FP for, and ride that. Now it's noon time and you grab lunch, then around 1:00pm you have your 3rd FP. If you really want to watch a show, there's probably one showing at 2:00pm, then you leave.

Eh, you shouldn't be able to ride every big name attraction by 2pm:p For uber planners, there should at least be an incentive to spread out the big attractions over the course of the day and into the night, and know that you won't be able to hit everything, and hence need to come back again!

In addition, nothing aside from maybe Tower of Terror is a different experience in the day and night at DHS. So if you do all the rides in the morning, it's the same experience as if you remained around to do them again at night. However DAK and DCA do a masterful job at making many attractions different experiences based on the time of day you ride them. Expedition Everest is one of my favorite examples in that it's just incredibly different to ride in the night vs during the day. Pandora does this as well it seems so those types of attractions will help keep guests in the park throughout the day just to experience it at night.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
If we're taking a realistic/adventure spin with the 2nd park @MonorailRed 's art could be of inspiration.

For instance I could see this as the facade for a new version of the Indiana Jones Adventure attraction:)
13041081_1337596516255844_8330536311030785660_o.jpg

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-2.jpg

Imagineerland

@spacemt354

When I did my last park, I compared to Shanghai since it gives the best comparison to what Disney would actually build right now.

Shanghai opened with 20 attractions total, broken down into 7 non-IP attractions, 3 shows, 3 E+ tickets, 12 minor attractions, and 6 dark rides. That double counts some, but gives an idea of the characteristics of a reasonable modern lineup. That's what I've used recently.

D Hulk

@spacemt354

I'll chime in as well! :):p I hail from Disneyland, I'm a local, an AP, and from that perspective I'd say a perfect line-up of attractions is...

More than you can do in a day! :eek:

This is good for guests who are only interested in some of what's available. Very few, completionists aside, are gonna do California Screamin' and the Bug's Land spinners. And if you're appealing to a large local audience, like in Anaheim or Tokyo, have plenty of new and variable experiences to draw them back again and again!

I suspect the reason Walt Disney World parks are less jam-packed attractionwise - DLR and WDW are actually neck-and-neck in ride counts, despite park numbers - is because of the way week-long resort tourists tend to tour, as opposed to day-trippers. It's a more relaxed pace, which also allows for things like the World Showcase dining which the smaller resorts do not attempt.

When I try designing full parks, I tend to use present day DisneySea or (gasp!) present day Universal Florida parks. I just like their balance of lands and attractions and tickets, ratio-wise. Then maybe I subtract like 3 major E-tickets (plus some fluff) if I'm doing an opening day park, but with plans to add them back later. Like how Disney intended to have Beastlie Kingdomme for DAK's opening, and they only just opened it this year ;). Intent often outstrips budget.

It's like our Imagineer buddy Thor said (I'm paraphrasing): Overplan at first, then prune things to just the absolute best.

I look forward to seeing what you create for Marvel! :hungry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom