Club 32 - Disney Pangaea

Imagineerland

Quick reminder to consider the site we have while your starting to put ideas together.

site-proposal-diagram-01-jpg.206312

Major things to think about:

Potential to have one or more lands directly interact with the waterfront. It could extend out into the water, or have an infinity edge effect, or something else.

The entrance should possibly have some relation to the retail zone.

Also possible to put a hotel over or around the entrance that could look into the park.

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
Quick reminder to consider the site we have while your starting to put ideas together.

site-proposal-diagram-01-jpg.206312

Major things to think about:

Potential to have one or more lands directly interact with the waterfront. It could extend out into the water, or have an infinity edge effect, or something else.

The entrance should possibly have some relation to the retail zone.

Also possible to put a hotel over or around the entrance that could look into the park.

Thanks for that man! Really wanna integrate two hotels if possible, so I'm happy you brought this up, as well as the water element.

Fantasmic in Pangaea?

Maybe, but if anything, we might want to tweak it to match the themes of the land.

But in general, I'm gonna have out my idea for a rough draft by the end of the week :)

spacemt354

Chili's
@mickeyfan5534 @Brer Oswald Already told Brer, but I agree with this whole-heartedly. The question will be how will our Small World be different, or better, than others. I think we can take a cue from POTC and have thrills that are satisficatory, but not overwhelming if this will be a family-friendly ride. Trackless water ride system, anyone? :eek:

@S.P.E.W Love it, but do you mind elaborating? What do you see happening for Glacier Bay?
A Glacier Bay you say? Have something, I just may...:)
http://creatorgames1.weebly.com/

spacemt354

Chili's
Ok so here are some of my thoughts --

- Very much like the idea of the small world facade in a mountain or some other sort of earth-based structure. Not only is that visually enticing, but that is also symbolic of the park's message of earth as one (Pangaea is one continent)

Pangaea takes on a double meaning when you think of it as a uniting of everyone as small world suggests. With that said, the focus of the park then becomes...a mix of Disney's Animal Kingdom (adventure, discovery, exploration) mixed with Tokyo Disney SEA (eclectic cultures, villages, and scenery)

So that also brings up the question - is Pangaea simply a metaphor? Or is it actually going back 150 million years to the time of the dinosaurs and that is what we are basing the park on -- I would rather see us view it as a metaphor because then that gives us more flexibilitity -- heck we could even have Pangaea be split up into continents essentially, with walk-over bridges to act as transitions between the lands.

The link I posted above is from earlier in the year and I think it would be a perfect jumping off point to start one of the lands of the park. It contains a seaside glacier village (Zinthorp Village) with a bunch of connected attractions that delve into exploration and adventure. From there you can travel to all points of Pangaea -- to the age of the dinosaurs, and much more!

spacemt354

Chili's
And just jumping into the conversation (hello everybody :p), what do you think would work as the entrance and "Main Street" areas of the park?
Welcome to the party!:D

I think @Imagineerland suggested this earlier - but it could be fun to have it be an extension of a retail zone - progressing into the park. Maybe a swiss mountain village? Something that transitions nicely into the mountain/small world 'weenie'

Imagineerland

With that said, the focus of the park then becomes...a mix of Disney's Animal Kingdom (adventure, discovery, exploration) mixed with Tokyo Disney SEA (eclectic cultures, villages, and scenery)

I think this strategy works really well to make interesting and dynamic lands. It's basically what I did for my Disneyland 3rd gate as well, so I like the idea. And there are plenty of of countries/environments/cultures to base lands on, so good odds to find a successful and unique combination. So I think this is the way to go.

I guess the question past that is should there be any kind of story of theme across the different environments to unify the park. Like how I used SEA for my park. The name Pangea could be related to that answer. Some kind of original history story that explains what lands and why? I guess this really isn't necessary, I mean Disney Sea doesn't have something like that. That's just my kind of thing I guess.

I just think its valuable to know why you choose the lands you end up choosing.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of lands this park ends up with. Since your not mimicking Disneyland, this could go anywhere.

Imagineerland

Welcome to the party!:D

I think @Imagineerland suggested this earlier - but it could be fun to have it be an extension of a retail zone - progressing into the park. Maybe a swiss mountain village? Something that transitions nicely into the mountain/small world 'weenie'

My point was just to be aware of how the transition will work.

Speaking of that, has there been more thought on what exactly this "retail zone" entrance to the parks is going to be like?

spacemt354

Chili's
My point was just to be aware of how the transition will work.

Speaking of that, has there been more thought on what exactly this "retail zone" entrance to the parks is going to be like?
Not yet - but that would definitely help fine tune the entrance area if we can design a retail zone.

We had the 1900s Sydney Springs idea from a few months ago - but we never fully fleshed it out

MA Screamin'

Original Poster

- Very much like the idea of the small world facade in a mountain or some other sort of earth-based structure. Not only is that visually enticing, but that is also symbolic of the park's message of earth as one (Pangaea is one continent)

Pangaea takes on a double meaning when you think of it as a uniting of everyone as small world suggests. With that said, the focus of the park then becomes...a mix of Disney's Animal Kingdom (adventure, discovery, exploration) mixed with Tokyo Disney SEA (eclectic cultures, villages, and scenery)

So that also brings up the question - is Pangaea simply a metaphor? Or is it actually going back 150 million years to the time of the dinosaurs and that is what we are basing the park on -- I would rather see us view it as a metaphor because then that gives us more flexibilitity -- heck we could even have Pangaea be split up into continents essentially, with walk-over bridges to act as transitions between the lands.

The link I posted above is from earlier in the year and I think it would be a perfect jumping off point to start one of the lands of the park. It contains a seaside glacier village (Zinthorp Village) with a bunch of connected attractions that delve into exploration and adventure. From there you can travel to all points of Pangaea -- to the age of the dinosaurs, and much more!

You're thinking just what I've been thinking essentially. Literal Pangaea with the entrance to palace, metaphorical with the merging biomes at Panthera and the different lands.

The only limitation I really firmly believe in is always beginning with a real environment before we let our creative juices run wild. I challenge all of us to do some research, find local stories and landmarks to flesh lands out with, and then sprinkle in IPs if need be.

With that being said, if the majority of us agree with this vision, we can start assigning areas for people to find inspiration in for the lands. I know that might not sound like a lot of fun at face value, but real Imagineers do it, so I don't see why we can't take a page from their playbook. I think after we tackle this, we'll have some context for the entrance, plaza, and Panthera.

I wanna mention a couple things in regards to that before we get started, and some general notes as well. I'll do that at some point tomorrow :)

Brer Oswald

Pangaea was always intended to be the metaphor you stated (not the time period). I'm glad you got it! As an extra, I was thinking about incorporating a park story, that guests could contribute to, on how the continents DIDN'T separate. Also, sorry for taking so long, not getting alerts for some reason :oops:

Brer Oswald

For the opening land, I was thinking a prehistoric area, with a cave that guests can "travel back in time" to go to International Plaza, with the Small World Palace. The plaza will be surrounded by a mountain range, presumably Panthera, with the highest peak positioned behind the palace. The mountain Range will be explorable from the inside, with S.E.A.'s main base inside. I'm worried that this park is going to be so big that it will have to be it's own resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom