Club 32 - Disney Pangaea

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
"We go to the mountain for enlightenment, for self-realization, for adventure, for discovery. It's pregnant with meaning. When people see a mountain, they invest it with meaning. Not plot. Not character."

- Joe Rohde

"Walt said that I knew about colors he had never heard of!"

- Mary Blair

photo+1-.jpg

Fig. 1, Disney Sea Concept Art, time released unknown - What I personally would like to see is a next step by our community to further Imagineering's stride to have the man-made coexist with nature, and I think this piece of concept art emphasizes this idea, despite being on a much smaller scale.

it_s_a_small_world___tokyo_disneyland_by_rubyreminiscence-d6p0r07.jpg

Fig. 2, "It's A Small World" Attraction Facade, Tokyo Disneyland - This may not seem an appropriate fit for our park, but don't be afraid to be inspired by different attractions, or even different mediums, than usual; that's how truly great experiences are formed!

ak+overview.jpg

Fig. 3, Disney Animal Kingdom Concept Art, circa. 1995 - The closest source of inspiration I think to the tone that we could attempt to pull from for Disney Pangaea is DAK. However, new is always great, in my eyes, so if alternate directions are suggested, let's embrace them, no matter what stage we are in in development!

Project Background:

If we thought Sydney Disneyland was an endeavor, what about being a park from scratch? It has been done on various scales ever since the Imagineering forum began to blossom, but never with the level of intricacies and nuisances that we achieved with Sydney. With that, this starts with two concepts, one that @Brer Oswald fathered and designed, and is really inspiring, and one that I have based on work I did with some great original Imagineers, @WED99, @Matt7187, and @RMichael21, starting all the way back in 2013.

The first:

As for my inspiration behind the initial concept, it started with an idea to reimagine It's a Small World. Funny enough, IaSW isn't an attraction I'm over enthusiastic about. But I imagined what it would be like if we turned it into a palace of sorts, a palace representing the Center of multiple cultures. When it got rejected for the first park, I immediately went back to the hypothetical drawing board. I came up with an idea that would incorporate different cultures and continents with the adventures (both fictional and non fictional) that could be found within them. The centrepiece of it all would be the Small World palace. The park takes inspiration from both Disney SEA and World Showcase, but not so much so that it's a copy of anything, no, it's its very own thing. I wanted the park to beable to stand on its own if it had to, so that it was not dependent on the other park in the resort (something that many secondary parks don't do, which I believe is a major drawback to the parks and their potential). This park could incorporate all the ideas that wouldn't fit in the other park. When people wanted to use other IP like Star Wars that didn't fit, I came up with the Prehistoric, Sea, and Space areas of the park, which will surround the continents section like a circle. I called it Disney's Pangaea because it represents one land that has multiple opportunities for adventure. I hope that's enough for inspiration! :D

The second is such:

It's been a while, so bare with me :p What I'm sharing is actually two projects that I feel have now merged into one source of inspiration. The first is The Waterhole, a hybrid water park boutique park based around a flourishing waterhole - or in our case, the largest pool ever built with intermingling water sports (kayak, paddle-board, etc.), slides, and attractions - where all the world's animals come to to drink, breed, mingle, etc. Amidst the blooming flora and fauna (we imagined this as an extension of DAK), there is Mt. Panthera, a "huge cliff with cascading waterfalls," a singular biome that unites the various areas coming together to act as mini-lands with attractions and slides and such. We envisioned river cruises, flumes, slides, lazy rivers, and so much more. With that impressive sentiment, it carried over into Disney Earth, showcasing the beauty of discovery across land, sea, and sky, and with a World Showcase quantity, as New England, the Amazon, the Great Barrier Reef could all be exhibited, or something that blends the lines between fact and fiction (I think @mahnamahna101 pointed this out). I think what would make this really special refers back to that first quote I posted at the top: I'd want to put emphasis on environment over story. Of course, we can have backstory, but not to the level where story becomes a weakness, as we're simply following along on an adventure opposed to being on an adventure ourselves. With this out of the way...

Prompt:

Well, this is very, very open. But essentially, we will, in my eyes, replicate our process for Sydney Disneyland, but with a concept for Disney Pangaea. Everything should be considered, and any idea will be considered, as that's the beauty of starting from scratch!

Things to Note:

Mickey's Ten Commandments - Ten essential things to remember when designing anything Imagineering-wise, penned by the great Marty Sklar!

1. Know your audience. Don't overestimate what they may understand, but never underestimate and undermine the guest through this process.
2. Wear your guests' shoes. Leave no stone unturned, and create a full experience.
3. Organize the flow of people and ideas. Every great story has an order, so make sure to keep a logical thought process to bind your creativity together.

4. Create a "wienie," or visual magnet. Help this flow by doing so.
5. Communicate with visual literacy. Try your best to show, not tell us, with words, images, videos, interviews, song, dance, game, or any medium you find fitting, how something will work or act or be presented.
6. Avoid overload - create turn-ons. Keep a balance between a full environment and moments of sheer excitement.
7. Tell one story at a time. If we can dream it, we can do it, but just remember to return back to the logical side of things always to secure that idea. This does not mean not to dream big, just return to these steps to create your experience.
8. Avoid contradictions - maintain identity. We are always telling a story, so don't let things "break character."
9. For every ounce of treatment, provide a ton of treat. You can educate guests, just make it fun!
10. Keep it up! In our case, anticipate possible problems and come up with solutions to ensure a full design.

If anyone wants me to add things here, I gladly will try to do so!
Directory: Coming soon!

Well guys, this is it! I'm very eager to tackle this monster of a project, and after seeing Sydney Disneyland, I know we can do it if we work together! :D:happy:

Suchomimus

"We go to the mountain for enlightenment, for self-realization, for adventure, for discovery. It's pregnant with meaning. When people see a mountain, they invest it with meaning. Not plot. Not character."

- Joe Rohde

- Mary Blair

photo+1-.jpg

Fig. 1, Disney Sea Concept Art, time released unknown - What I personally would like to see is a next step by our community to further Imagineering's stride to have the man-made coexist with nature, and I think this piece of concept art emphasizes this idea, despite being on a much smaller scale.

Fig. 2, "It's A Small World" Attraction Facade, Tokyo Disneyland - This may not seem an appropriate fit for our park, but don't be afraid to be inspired by different attractions, or even different mediums, than usual; that's how truly great experiences are formed!

ak+overview.jpg

Fig. 3, Disney Animal Kingdom Concept Art, circa. 1995 - The closest source of inspiration I think to the tone that we could attempt to pull from for Disney Pangaea is DAK. However, new is always great, in my eyes, so if alternate directions are suggested, let's embrace them, no matter what stage we are in in development!

Project Background:

If we thought Sydney Disneyland was an endeavor, what about being a park from scratch? It has been done on various scales ever since the Imagineering forum began to blossom, but never with the level of intricacies and nuisances that we achieved with Sydney. With that, this starts with two concepts, one that @Brer Oswald fathered and designed, and is really inspiring, and one that I have based on work I did with some great original Imagineers, @WED99, @Matt7187, and @RMichael21, starting all the way back in 2013.

The first:

The second is such:

It's been a while, so bare with me :p What I'm sharing is actually two projects that I feel have now merged into one source of inspiration. The first is The Waterhole, a hybrid water park boutique park based around a flourishing waterhole - or in our case, the largest pool ever built with intermingling water sports (kayak, paddle-board, etc.), slides, and attractions - where all the world's animals come to to drink, breed, mingle, etc. Amidst the blooming flora and fauna (we imagined this as an extension of DAK), there is Mt. Panthera, a "huge cliff with cascading waterfalls," a singular biome that unites the various areas coming together to act as mini-lands with attractions and slides and such. We envisioned river cruises, flumes, slides, lazy rivers, and so much more. With that impressive sentiment, it carried over into Disney Earth, showcasing the beauty of discovery across land, sea, and sky, and with a World Showcase quantity, as New England, the Amazon, the Great Barrier Reef could all be exhibited, or something that blends the lines between fact and fiction (I think @mahnamahna101 pointed this out). I think what would make this really special refers back to that first quote I posted at the top: I'd want to put emphasis on environment over story. Of course, we can have backstory, but not to the level where story becomes a weakness, as we're simply following along on an adventure opposed to being on an adventure ourselves. With this out of the way...

Prompt:

Well, this is very, very open. But essentially, we will, in my eyes, replicate our process for Sydney Disneyland, but with a concept for Disney Pangaea. Everything should be considered, and any idea will be considered, as that's the beauty of starting from scratch!

Things to Note:

Mickey's Ten Commandments - Ten essential things to remember when designing anything Imagineering-wise, penned by the great Marty Sklar!

1. Know your audience. Don't overestimate what they may understand, but never underestimate and undermine the guest through this process.
2. Wear your guests' shoes. Leave no stone unturned, and create a full experience.
3. Organize the flow of people and ideas. Every great story has an order, so make sure to keep a logical thought process to bind your creativity together.

5. Communicate with visual literacy. Try your best to show, not tell us, with words, images, videos, interviews, song, dance, game, or any medium you find fitting, how something will work or act or be presented.
6. Avoid overload - create turn-ons. Keep a balance between a full environment and moments of sheer excitement.
7. Tell one story at a time. If we can dream it, we can do it, but just remember to return back to the logical side of things always to secure that idea. This does not mean not to dream big, just return to these steps to create your experience.
8. Avoid contradictions - maintain identity. We are always telling a story, so don't let things "break character."
9. For every ounce of treatment, provide a ton of treat. You can educate guests, just make it fun!
10. Keep it up! In our case, anticipate possible problems and come up with solutions to ensure a full design.

Well guys, this is it! I'm very eager to tackle this monster of a project, and after seeing Sydney Disneyland, I know we can do it if we work together! :D:happy:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Brer Oswald

I'm going to gun for the ultimate It's A Small World as our icon. If the park is a world united as one under the umbrella of peace, it's shown right there. If the park is an exploration of the world, it's right there. If it's a view of the world through a child's eye, it's right there. Any thoughts?
"Any thoughts?" Those are my thoughts exactly! ;)

Suchomimus

I'm going to gun for the ultimate It's A Small World as our icon. If the park is a world united as one under the umbrella of peace, it's shown right there. If the park is an exploration of the world, it's right there. If it's a view of the world through a child's eye, it's right there. Any thoughts?
I have an idea for two zones; one is an Glacier Bay zone, which is loosely based off the original zone of the same name for Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea, and the other being focused around various sea myths like merfolk and Atlantis.

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
@mickeyfan5534 @Brer Oswald Already told Brer, but I agree with this whole-heartedly. The question will be how will our Small World be different, or better, than others. I think we can take a cue from POTC and have thrills that are satisficatory, but not overwhelming if this will be a family-friendly ride. Trackless water ride system, anyone? :eek:

@S.P.E.W Love it, but do you mind elaborating? What do you see happening for Glacier Bay?

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
While I'm at it, let me introduce our first guideline decision: how are we making these lands?

I see the prehistoric entrance, then maybe the palace beginning underground, and then rising from "ruins" to a grander light where the entrance to our hub begins (that would mean Small World to Mt. Panthera). From there, we have seven lands or so, based around the environments distinct to each continent (we could most definitely stretch Antarctica into Glacier Bay). You could enter a "port" inspired by a real-life location (New England harbor, Amazonian outpost, Glacial station, European mountain village), and then venture into even more specific areas (Yosemite, Baghdad, Casablanca). All fictitious, but pulling strong cues from real life. I feel like it could look like nature has reclaimed these areas, but not in a dystopian way, but rather a more "Hey, we curbed climate change and look at what happened," sort of triumphant way.

Suchomimus

@S.P.E.W Love it, but do you mind elaborating? What do you see happening for Glacier Bay?
I see Glacier Bay as having a river rapids and a roller coaster somewhat similar to Expedition Everest but not too similar. I also see it also having a trail where you can see the various animals that inhabit the wilds of Alaska and Canada and maybe an indoor restaurant with dining rooms sort of like the Ice Age dining room at T Rex Restaurant.
2944290193_dab3cfc346.jpg

Brer Oswald

Just noting that my original plans called for Lands based on all of the continents, as well as an environment based on the ocean (where Atlantis would come in to play), space, and the prehistoric (as previously stated). That would mean that there would be an Antarctica area. If we were to go this route, this would be where Glacier Bay would come into play, being our main (or only) area in our "fictional" interpretation of that continent.

Disney Dad 3000

- Joe Rohde

- Mary Blair

photo+1-.jpg

ak+overview.jpg

Project Background:

The first:

The second is such:

Prompt:

Things to Note:

Great intro!

What if the small world attraction was actually a park wide attraction that took you through each of the regions but mixed in its own set pieces, etc only visible from the ride?

Suchomimus

Just noting that my original plans called for Lands based on all of the continents, as well as an environment based on the ocean (where Atlantis would come in to play), space, and the prehistoric (as previously stated). That would mean that there would be an Antarctica area. If we were to go this route, this would be where Glacier Bay would come into play, being our main (or only) area in our "fictional" interpretation of that continent.
How bout we make Glacier Bay a subland for North America instead?

MA Screamin'

Original Poster

Just watched on Disney's America and gave me a fresh perspective... I'm for fiction, but I'm not. Let me explain:

When a child looks at someone that inspires them, sure, it could be Spider Man or Elsa and Anna, but often it's something very common that speaks to the human condition later on. Planes, for example. If you loved planes when you were younger, it was seeing you lift off and touch the skies, and all the little knobs and buttons in the cockpit. I wasn't that kid, but I still went into a cockpit once, and was just, just happy, you know? So, with that, I would want to push hard for starting on a factual basis, and pulling fictitious references to fill it blanks. A progression is what I want to see. If Atlantis is a legend that is from a certain place, I want to flesh out that place first before delving into a story or IP placement.

A key reason why there was opposition for Disney's America was that some felt that Disney was going to take ownership of American history where it isn't just a story to tell. Aspects like the Civil War and immigration are very important in people's hearts, and while I know this probably won't have that same sense of public attention, I still want to honor the places and the culture we are building around.

Tell me I'm disillusioned if I'm sounding like it haha. :confused: But with that in mind, what thoughts come to mind on your end?

Great intro!

What if the small world attraction was actually a park wide attraction that took you through each of the regions but mixed in its own set pieces, etc only visible from the ride?

Thank you, I wanted to really get it right to send us on the right track! :)

I love your idea, but it seems like a really elaborate undertaking. How would you suggest it being fleshing out technologically? Could it be like the Magic Kingdom Railroads, but with more emphasis on scenes and with a faster pace to fit that window for a "Small World" attraction? Or maybe underneath the water body surrounding Mt. Panthera. The logistics of park layout is what makes me hesitant, but it's a great idea, and if you have a vision in that regard, then please share, because I would love to see this happen!

Brer Oswald

Just watched on Disney's America and gave me a fresh perspective... I'm for fiction, but I'm not. Let me explain:

When a child looks at someone that inspires them, sure, it could be Spider Man or Elsa and Anna, but often it's something very common that speaks to the human condition later on. Planes, for example. If you loved planes when you were younger, it was seeing you lift off and touch the skies, and all the little knobs and buttons in the cockpit. I wasn't that kid, but I still went into a cockpit once, and was just, just happy, you know? So, with that, I would want to push hard for starting on a factual basis, and pulling fictitious references to fill it blanks. A progression is what I want to see. If Atlantis is a legend that is from a certain place, I want to flesh out that place first before delving into a story or IP placement.

A key reason why there was opposition for Disney's America was that some felt that Disney was going to take ownership of American history where it isn't just a story to tell. Aspects like the Civil War and immigration are very important in people's hearts, and while I know this probably won't have that same sense of public attention, I still want to honor the places and the culture we are building around.

Tell me I'm disillusioned if I'm sounding like it haha. :confused: But with that in mind, what thoughts come to mind on your end?

Thank you, I wanted to really get it right to send us on the right track! :)

I love your idea, but it seems like a really elaborate undertaking. How would you suggest it being fleshing out technologically? Could it be like the Magic Kingdom Railroads, but with more emphasis on scenes and with a faster pace to fit that window for a "Small World" attraction? Or maybe underneath the water body surrounding Mt. Panthera. The logistics of park layout is what makes me hesitant, but it's a great idea, and if you have a vision in that regard, then please share, because I would love to see this happen!
Yes that's what I was trying to get out. Flesh out the realistic base first, then add to it with the IP. For example, first we try to recreate Europe, its landmarks, its real stories. Then we add IP that fit, so that we can create our own "Disnified" take on that culture.

mickeyfan5534

I see the prehistoric entrance, then maybe the palace beginning underground, and then rising from "ruins" to a grander light where the entrance to our hub begins (that would mean Small World to Mt. Panthera)
It's a Small World rising out of a mountain with parts of the mountain blending into the palace facade would certainly be worthy of an icon. Moving on with that idea, world landmarks are always part of the facade for iasw, what if parts of the mountain made the Eiffel Tower or the Sydney Opera House or the Statue of Liberty or Notre Dame or any landmark really?

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
It's a Small World rising out of a mountain with parts of the mountain blending into the palace facade would certainly be worthy of an icon. Moving on with that idea, world landmarks are always part of the facade for iasw, what if parts of the mountain made the Eiffel Tower or the Sydney Opera House or the Statue of Liberty or Notre Dame or any landmark really?

I agree, that does sound really impressive. But I'd really love to see Mt. Panthera be the icon.

Shall we take a vote as a team?

Brer Oswald

I agree, that does sound really impressive. But I'd really love to see Mt. Panthera be the icon.

Shall we take a vote as a team?
Why not both? Hollywood studios has like 3 icons, as does DCA. Two things can represent the park, in fact for this park, I think having the two icons would be a good thing. One represents civilization and our culture, the other represents nature and adventure. Seems perfect to me!

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
Why not both? Hollywood studios has like 3 icons, as does DCA. Two things can represent the park, in fact for this park, I think having the two icons would be a good thing. One represents civilization and our culture, the other represents nature and adventure. Seems perfect to me!

Yeah, that does make sense. Maybe the landmarks be more discretely incorporated into the palace then, maybe more as part of the murals.

mickeyfan5534

Yeah, that does make sense. Maybe the landmarks be more discretely incorporated into the palace then, maybe more as part of the murals.
The facades already do that extremely well though.

For added ideas, Tokyo used to have a stage in front of their palace
hqdefault.jpg

Is there something we can do with that? Probably not, just throwing it out there. Another idea is doing harbor shows like at Disney Sea.

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
The facades already do that extremely well though.

For added ideas, Tokyo used to have a stage in front of their palace
hqdefault.jpg

Is there something we can do with that? Probably not, just throwing it out there. Another idea is doing harbor shows like at Disney Sea.

We were gonna have the prehistoric caves, then the murals, then the palace, but I want to keep that classic facade maybe in the attraction itself? As for the stage, the harbor shows seem really cool, and I'm always down for stages if you can find a way to make it work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom