Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Dunston

Original Poster
I have it on good authority (I cannot give up my source, but they are in the higher-ups of parks/hotel management) that the Tower of Terror in ORLANDO will be refurbished into a Guardians of the Galaxy Ride just as the one in Disneyland California will be. They have told me to "ride it while you can, because it won't be there next summer." I know people may not believe me, but I heard it straight from the horse's mouth and feel the need to share this upsetting news. I cannot share the identity of my source, for the sake of the security of their position.

brb1006

image_1.gif
That's what most of use said back when we heard about the Muppets heading to MK months ago.

wdwgreek

Take this however you will. Last week another person on some page was raving about Tot at DHS was getting a new paint job themed for a future attraction I assured them they are thinking of CA until they inboxed me to explain how they said they are a painter/ contractor in Orlando... and they have painted the tower before and these color schemes are radically different and will be step one of a future overhaul. I don't take to believing people randomly on facebook, but last time i belittled someone ie the muppets Liberty Sqaure show it turned out to have some turth to it. Still not buying this one, but his perspective with the paint scheme seemed super specific.

wdwgreek

Well if that is where the Queue for the attraction starts and you are transported magically into the world of Wreck it Ralph" then i guess it fits in. Maybe. Nope.
arcade style video games populated the arcade at the exit of space mountain for nearly 3 decades. If they were already in the land its not that much of a stretch. Since its going into the Tomorrow land Convention center could it be a display of future tech that zaps us into video game worlds.

SpaceMountain75

One would think that Disney heard the overwhelming backlash from people and changed their plans accordingly. Every comment section on every post from Facebook to YouTube has been people voicing their displeasure at the decision to overlay Tower with a cheap re-theme. Surely they wouldn't do it again, right? Right?!

*Ron Howard voiceover* "Wrong."

oceanbreeze77

One would think that Disney heard the overwhelming backlash from people and changed their plans accordingly. Every comment section on every post from Facebook to YouTube has been people voicing their displeasure at the decision to overlay Tower with a cheap re-theme. Surely they wouldn't do it again, right? Right?!

*Ron Howard voiceover* "Wrong."
they really don't care what we think

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I typically lurk, but I felt like I should tell somebody about this because I can't keep this to myself. ToT is my favorite ride in Disney World, and will be very upset to see it go. Out with the old and in with the new, as they say.
Don't worry.

It is not happening. As in not happening.

The TZ IP may go, but as it stands Guardians is not being overlayed.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

Don't worry.

It is not happening. As in not happening.

The TZ IP may go, but Guardians is not being overlayed.

Really glad that hear that a total re-theme is not happening. Thank you very much for clarifying this, Martin.

I certainly also hope they don't lose the TZ IP, though. Tower of Terror is so successful because of its HOLISTIC impact, and that includes the brilliant use of the TZ IP. Removing that would change the overall, holistic experience in ways that can't even be predicted. Considering how well it works as a whole right now, it's hardly wise for them to do such an "experiment."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Really glad that hear that a total re-theme is not happening. Thank you very much for clarifying this, Martin.

I certainly also hope they don't lose the TZ IP, though. Tower of Terror is so successful because of its HOLISTIC impact, and that includes the brilliant use of the TZ IP to create the overall feel of the experience.
Welcome. Just to cover my back I'll say there's no current plans. As always things can change but as of yesterday there are no plans for a Guardians overlay.

I too hope the TZ theme stays. It's a huge part of the experience, one that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom