Cleanliness at Poly

Nala06

Original Poster
I am looking to possibly book the Poly for our upcoming vacation, and after reading some recent reports from people staying there it seems that improper mousekeoping is becoming a theme. Has anyone experienced less than stellar rooms upon checkin or throughout the week? These reports could just be outliers, so I am looking for more opinions. For the price you pay per night I would expect better service.

21stamps

I am looking to possibly book the Poly for our upcoming vacation, and after reading some recent reports from people staying there it seems that improper mousekeoping is becoming a theme. Has anyone experienced less than stellar rooms upon checkin or throughout the week? These reports could just be outliers, so I am looking for more opinions. For the price you pay per night I would expect better service.
Please, Please do not choose to forgo Poly over reports like that!!!

My room was clean, everyday for 9 nights last year, nor have I had bad housekeeping on any trip in the past... I did have a baby black snake in the room one day, but that just added to the "magic" ;)

Go..you will love it!!!

Weather_Lady

I wouldn't let a few poor reviews stop me from staying at any Disney hotel -- go expecting a clean room, and demand a re-cleaning if your room isn't up to snuff, but it's not a request you're likely to have to make.

I can honestly say that I've seen myriad complaints about housekeeping at every WDW resort I've ever investigated or considered, at every price point. For every complaint you see, however, there are dozens more guests who had no problems and for whom their resort met expectations, and therefore didn't see the need to post an online review. FWIW, we have yet to encounter a housekeeping issue anywhere we've stayed (e.g., Coronado Springs, PORS, Wilderness Lodge), in spite of some bad reviews for each one.

Nala06

Original Poster
Thanks for those posts!! Makes me feel a bit better. I know ppl tend to report poor experiences more than good ones. It was just making me a little nervous! Now to decide between poly, wilderness lodge, or a split stay...

rob0519

The Polynesian is a Deluxe resort. As such the management is generally very aware of the state of the rooms. Keep in mind you are in a swamp in central Florida. You may very well see bugs, spider, spider webs, etc. especially on the balconies and patios. There is not much housekeeping can do about that.

Also, if you're room isn't up to your expectations, I would try requesting it be re-cleaned, repaired, or what ever is necessary be done, including being assigned a different room. I would hold off on the demanding until a after a polite request proves to be inadequate. ;)

DisDadWoz

There are reports of bad mousekeeping everywhere, but don't let it deter you from any resort. As you would with any hotel stay anywhere, if something isn't up to your expectations then let the management know. 99% of the time WDW resorts will have it corrected for your.

21stamps

Thanks for those posts!! Makes me feel a bit better. I know ppl tend to report poor experiences more than good ones. It was just making me a little nervous! Now to decide between poly, wilderness lodge, or a split stay...
A split would make more sense, in my opinion, if you were staying at an Epcot and monorail resort. I can't see any reason to split a Poly stay with WL, you're losing all of the convenience of proximity (and views) to MK and the TTC. If you split with BC, YC, or BWI, then you have the advantage of proximity to Hollywood studios and Epcot, but Epcot is super easy from Poly if only doing one day there, or spending majority of days at MK.

Nala06

Original Poster
A split would make more sense, in my opinion, if you were staying at an Epcot and monorail resort. I can't see any reason to split a Poly stay with WL, you're losing all of the convenience of proximity (and views) to MK and the TTC. If you split with BC, YC, or BWI, then you have the advantage of proximity to Hollywood studios and Epcot, but Epcot is super easy from Poly if only doing one day there, or spending majority of days at MK.

It would be primarily for cost. Poly is my #1 choice but wilderness lodge is a close second. Plus it would be christmas time when we are going, so decor would be better at the lodge. We could take a 7 day at Poly and do 10 days w a split for close to the same cost.

I considered BC for a split, but the kiddo will still be pretty young and stormalong bay wouldnt be necessary at his age. I like the convenience of the ttc from poly for epcot. Dhs will only be a one day park.

21stamps

It would be primarily for cost. Poly is my #1 choice but wilderness lodge is a close second. Plus it would be christmas time when we are going, so decor would be better at the lodge. We could take a 7 day at Poly and do 10 days w a split for close to the same cost.

I considered BC for a split, but the kiddo will still be pretty young and stormalong bay wouldnt be necessary at his age. I like the convenience of the ttc from poly for epcot. Dhs will only be a one day park.
Then absolutely go for the 10 days and split the 2!!!

I know this is not common- but I am not a huge Stormalong Bay fan, or of the theming at BC for kids.. I actually think my own kiddo would enjoy the seemingly unpopular pool at BWI more. Plus, in December, don't let the pools dictate where you stay, or at least not in the same regards that they would have in the warmer months...that's what helped with my decision between CR and Poly anyway.
We are staying at the Contemporary this December and I am so looking forward to visiting WL!!! I'm hoping we will have time to rent bikes and ride over to FW to check out the decorated campsites, but not positive on that. If you split your stay between Poly and WL you will definitely be able to do that though!
My avatar is of my delicious drink at Poly while sitting in the hot tub, I don't randomly take beverage photos I just cropped myself out.lol It's a beautiful view from that spot, and even if it is chilly you can hang out there for a bit...you will absolutely fall in love with it! I haven't been to WL yet, only have looked at photos, the fireplaces around the lodge look gorgeous... take lots of photos to share with us! :)

CaptainAmerica

In your situation I'd do the entire trip at Wilderness Lodge. The amount of money you'd save would be huge, the theme is just as good, and the hassle of the split stay isn't worth it IMO. I've done splits a few times, but would only ever consider it for one night at the beginning or end. Switching resorts in the middle is a pain because you get unpacked and settled after a few days and it sucks to have to pack everything up.

Nala06

Original Poster
Then absolutely go for the 10 days and split the 2!!!

I know this is not common- but I am not a huge Stormalong Bay fan, or of the theming at BC for kids.. I actually think my own kiddo would enjoy the seemingly unpopular pool at BWI more. Plus, in December, don't let the pools dictate where you stay, or at least not in the same regards that they would have in the warmer months...that's what helped with my decision between CR and Poly anyway.
We are staying at the Contemporary this December and I am so looking forward to visiting WL!!! I'm hoping we will have time to rent bikes and ride over to FW to check out the decorated campsites, but not positive on that. If you split your stay between Poly and WL you will definitely be able to do that though!
My avatar is of my delicious drink at Poly while sitting in the hot tub, I don't randomly take beverage photos I just cropped myself out.lol It's a beautiful view from that spot, and even if it is chilly you can hang out there for a bit...you will absolutely fall in love with it! I haven't been to WL yet, only have looked at photos, the fireplaces around the lodge look gorgeous... take lots of photos to share with us! :)
My mom booked BC for us as older kids for the pool specifically and I honestly dont think we used it once haha. Im sure she was pleased with that.

I would do all at the lodge to save money if my husband and I didnt love the poly so much. We were down in orlando for a week this spring and snuck over for a day to tour all the mk resorts and eat at ohana. That pretty much sealed it. The lodge reminds us too much of our former home in the PNW, for better or worse.

mouse_luv

We do split stays all the time and we go for less than you will be going. I would say go for it and don't let anyone deter you, it's your money not theirs, also it's not the big hassle that everyone makes it out to be because Disney makes it run smoothly. All you have to do is take your bags to bell services and tell them where to switch it to and they will send them over for you and you can head off to the Parks and then you will be able to check in to your 2nd resort later. And in your case, I would do WL first and then switch over to the Poly. If it is more cost effective do maybe 6 WL/4 Poly. Best of luck!

Nala06

Original Poster
We do split stays all the time and we go for less than you will be going. I would say go for it and don't let anyone deter you, it's your money not theirs, also it's not the big hassle that everyone makes it out to be because Disney makes it run smoothly. All you have to do is take your bags to bell services and tell them where to switch it too and they will send them over for you and you can head off to the Parks and then you will be able to check in to your 2nd resort later. And in your case, I would do WL first and then switch over to the Poly. If it is more cost effective do maybe 6 WL/4 Poly. Best of luck!
We would probably do 5/5 with the weekend days being WL, then switching to Poly. I think it would give us something to look forward to!! Plus we only plan on going every 3 yrs or so at this point, so this way we wouldnt have to wait so long to try a different resort.

21stamps

My mom booked BC for us as older kids for the pool specifically and I honestly dont think we used it once haha. Im sure she was pleased with that.

I would do all at the lodge to save money if my husband and I didnt love the poly so much. We were down in orlando for a week this spring and snuck over for a day to tour all the mk resorts and eat at ohana. That pretty much sealed it. The lodge reminds us too much of our former home in the PNW, for better or worse.
Oh no! Poor mom :(
I think my reasoning for not staying at WL, and also for not loving GF (as much as most people),even though I have stayed there a few times, is because GF reminds me of a lot of Florida hotels, and WL reminds me of a lot of northern lodges that I visit (like I said before, I am basing my WL thought on photos only, not personal experience). Because of those reasons though, I think Poly is absolutely magical. From the theme, to the music, to the pool, it just transports you to a different place..one that isn't readily found in the continental US. Not to mention swimming in the pool while the EWP is going by and Wishes going off in the air--just surreal. We all have our reasons for liking specific resorts, and it's wonderful that Disney offers so many options! In your case it's a complete 180 adventure...going from a gorgeous turn of the century theme, then heading to an exotic destination :) Perfect. Even more so with the Christmas decor at WL!
We do split stays all the time and we go for less than you will be going. I would say go for it and don't let anyone deter you, it's your money not theirs, also it's not the big hassle that everyone makes it out to be because Disney makes it run smoothly. All you have to do is take your bags to bell services and tell them where to switch it to and they will send them over for you and you can head off to the Parks and then you will be able to check in to your 2nd resort later. And in your case, I would do WL first and then switch over to the Poly. If it is more cost effective do maybe 6 WL/4 Poly. Best of luck!
I have to agree with this. We had to move the last night of our trip, and it was seamless. I can not handle my own luggage so Bell Services sent someone in a golf cart to come pick us up. We left and headed to our next destination with a backpack only, and later on went to our new room and the luggage was brought to us. No hassle at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom