Claustrophobic....

Adrian0214

Original Poster
Hey everyone! Quick and slightly odd question. I have someone in my group that is a first time to WDW. She is extremely wigged out by being in a room with tons of people with no control out or a door in sight. For instance, she is worried about being in the "holding" areas at the shows, such as bugs life, etc. My question....would it be easier to allow the crowds to bail in first and then go in last? Not sure how to make this work without a huge hassle. Any suggestions?

Mattius

Stop it Patrick you're scaring him! (sorry)

If you're going soon you shouldn't have to worry too much about crowds in places like Main Street. I would suggest avoiding the monorail when it's crowded, Mission Space, and Stitch (I would avoid Stitch for overall terribleness as well). If you call Disney I believe they would have a lot of information on this.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I too get claustrophobic in crowds...but for some reason, at Disney (my happy place) it usually doesn't bother me unless
A - I'm tired
B - it's the end of the night and I'm leaving and then (see A)

My biggest problem is getting down main street at the end of the night and waiting for Fantasmic! Or any other situation where we're hearded like cattle and my "personal bubble" is compromised.

I agree with @Raven66 and look up. I also take some deep breaths and clench/unclench my fists

Allym146

I don't have issues with claustrophobia and mission space made me pretty uncomfortable. All the shows (bugs life, laugh floor, philharmagic) have nice, clearly marked exits. I would wait for the rush and then head in for a seat. Maybe when she walks in she can quickly locate the exits to reassure herself.

If you're going soon the holding rooms probably won't be full anyway. Especially if you use early or late hours.

DManRightHere

I have mild issues. My biggest problems were a bugs life and the mission space. Getting out of the stretch room for haunted mansion can get pretty bad too, mainly because cm's herd people in there. I hate it when they do that. Try to stay off main street during the fireworks too, stay near an entrance to the other lands.

If she can handle to chill out for a few minutes most other places are fine since you dont stay there long. Ex haunted mansion, tower or terror, aerosmith.

MickeyPeace

Does she fly? That's the most claustrophobic thing to me!

I have a similar problem that comes and goes.
Bugs Life definitely makes me claustrophobic. Ceilings are low, it's dark, packed with people and a long wait in stale air.
Mission Space for obvious reasons.
Country Bears last time. Wait was so long and so many people standing in the lobby that I finally left.

I leave if I can. Or if it gets really bad, pop a Xanax.

Adrian0214

Original Poster
:)
Stop it Patrick you're scaring him! (sorry)

If you're going soon you shouldn't have to worry too much about crowds in places like Main Street. I would suggest avoiding the monorail when it's crowded, Mission Space, and Stitch (I would avoid Stitch for overall terribleness as well). If you call Disney I believe they would have a lot of information on this.
Yes, great pointles. We are going to avoid the monorails. Yes, I avoid stitch at all cost. I have never though to contact Disney. Thanks again

Adrian0214

Original Poster
The Haunted Mansion stretching room came to my mind as it says no windows and no doors. The ceilings are high in Philharmagic, but one place that always annoys me is the holding room at Little Mermaid. It is small and always crowded :(
Agreed! The little Mermaid drives me crazy! I will gladly wait till the crowd clears to avoid all that mess. Thanks for the help.

Adrian0214

Original Poster
I too get claustrophobic in crowds...but for some reason, at Disney (my happy place) it usually doesn't bother me unless
A - I'm tired
B - it's the end of the night and I'm leaving and then (see A)

My biggest problem is getting down main street at the end of the night and waiting for Fantasmic! Or any other situation where we're hearded like cattle and my "personal bubble" is compromised.

I agree with @Raven66 and look up. I also take some deep breaths and clench/unclench my fists
Yes, she is hoping that being in the Disney environment will calm her. We are going to the MNSSHP,but planning for the late parade. Iam trying to think of all possible ways to make her as comfortable as possible. Thanks for your help.

Adrian0214

Original Poster
I don't have issues with claustrophobia and mission space made me pretty uncomfortable. All the shows (bugs life, laugh floor, philharmagic) have nice, clearly marked exits. I would wait for the rush and then head in for a seat. Maybe when she walks in she can quickly locate the exits to reassure herself.

If you're going soon the holding rooms probably won't be full anyway. Especially if you use early or late hours.
We are going the week of Halloween. Maybe the crowds will be tolerable :/ I agree...the bugs life, laugh floor are tolerable. If worse comes to worse, maybe she can stand towards the back until everyone enters. Thanks for the help!

Adrian0214

Original Poster
I have mild issues. My biggest problems were a bugs life and the mission space. Getting out of the stretch room for haunted mansion can get pretty bad too, mainly because cm's herd people in there. I hate it when they do that. Try to stay off main street during the fireworks too, stay near an entrance to the other lands.

If she can handle to chill out for a few minutes most other places are fine since you dont stay there long. Ex haunted mansion, tower or terror, aerosmith.
Truthfully...she could care less if she even rides anything. She is going to spend time with her grand daughter. She is looking forward to seeing her expression, parades, characters. Etc. But, she does enjoy shows, which also has the dreaded " Holding rooms". Im trying to think of ways to make her as comfortable as possible. Good point regarding Main Street fireworks...we are going to the late parade at MNSSHP, maybe that will help also.

Adrian0214

Original Poster
Does she fly? That's the most claustrophobic thing to me!

I have a similar problem that comes and goes.
Bugs Life definitely makes me claustrophobic. Ceilings are low, it's dark, packed with people and a long wait in stale air.
Mission Space for obvious reasons.
Country Bears last time. Wait was so long and so many people standing in the lobby that I finally left.

I leave if I can. Or if it gets really bad, pop a Xanax.
No, she does not fly. Which is rough, considering it is a 9 hour drive to Disney. I have assured her that none of the doors will "lock" behind her and she can leave at any time she becomes uncomfortable. I'm hoping if she gets dreaded, she can go stand toward the back and we can save her a seat. We are going the week of Halloween. So maybe the crowds will be tolerable :/. Thanks for the help!

NeedMoreMickey

I don't usually like it when people are playing games on their phones while they are in line because they seem to forget to move but maybe if she could play a game it would distract her. Just keep an eye out that she doesn't get to far away from you in the pack of people. Of course she would have to turn it off in some areas because of the light on the screen.

75disney

I am very short and although I wouldn't say I am claustrophobic I don't like being stuck in a crowd where all I see is people's backs. In the holding rooms for the attractions, I usually try to stay on the sides of the rooms closer to the walls so I can breathe and get a little space. I also wait until the crowd surges into the main room and then follow up in the rear. This strategy usually works for me.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, she is hoping that being in the Disney environment will calm her. We are going to the MNSSHP,but planning for the late parade. Iam trying to think of all possible ways to make her as comfortable as possible. Thanks for your help.

Such a thoughtful person! I agree with @NeedMoreMickey - distact her? If I'm messing around on my phone I usually don't notice the crowds.

MaryJaneP

I really do not easily suggest slight medication, but this may be preferable to a raging panic attack that ruins her and her granddaughter's trip, as well as possibly being dangerous to her and those nearby. The other strategies also sound helpful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom