Classics have to Die Sooner or Later Part 3

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
As we continue, we come upon Horizons. Horizons when it opened on October 1st, 1983, it was built to lead America into the third century of its existence. Many of the imaginners were pleased with the attraction because it complemented Walt Disney's original vision of EPCOT. They were so proud that they inserted "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" from the Carousel of Progress into the show. But as time passed many lost interest in it, especially General Electric. So much so that they pulled their sponsorship of the attraction and Disney decided to shut it down because they had no interest to continue paying money for an attraction that wasn't bringing much people in. But when Disney decided to close the World of Motion in 1994 to replace it with Test Track, they reopened Horizons.

Why? It didn't make sense for 1/2 of Future World West to be closed at the same time, so they thought they would keep Horizons temporarily open till 1997 when Test Track was open for business. But nothing went accourding to plan. Test Track had servere problems with its test run and din't open till March 1999. So all that while, Horizons cast members waited for the attraction to close. Finally in Summer 1999, Horizons was closed for good. But what would happen to it? Well for at least a year, the building just sat there. The signs came down outside and inside but nothing else was done. The in February/March 2000, walls appeared around the building that said, "WATCH THIS SPACE FOR FUTURE ANNOUNCEMENTS." Disney then announced plans for Mission: Space presented by Compag, a brand new thrill ride for Epcot which is scheduled to open in 2003.

The closing of Horizons wasn't met with as much protest as with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride but the Toad fans did post a Save Horizons website. But other then that, most people were excited about the new thrill ride. The question was, what was the attraction going to present to us that Test Track hadn't?

Though details are still sketchy, here is what I have heard so far. Guests will walk into the building and be told in a pre-show that they are being sent by spaceship to Mars. Four guests board a single simulator that presents what astronauts fell on space flights like lift-off and weightlessness. Details after that are too sketchy to be told as true. The outside of the building should be completed by December 2001 and the inside finished by December 2002 with time to work out the bugs before Summer 2003.

If there are still Horizon fans out there, you may feel saddened by what I will say. There were plans to keep the original Horizons building and some of the audio-animatronics. Plans were to cut out the back and make the entire thing one huge pavilion like the Wonders of Life but plans were scrapped because it was heading into the $300 million range and Compag wasn't willing to pay that much for one ride. Too bad thoug. More and more classic rides are getting the ax. Soon there won't be much classics left to fully enjoy.

Coming Soon: We'll discuss the future dismise of the Country Bears at Disneyland.

Till next time, See Ya!! :cool:

Nifty

I dig/dug Horizons

Horizons was my favorite ride at Epcot, except for maybe the original Journey into the Imagination. I particularly enjoyed smelling the oranges in the farming scene. I heard somewhere that one of the reasons for closing was that it was losing structural integrity. I am not sure I believe that so much, but you never know. It was only a rumor. Anyway, I will miss the ride, but am looking forward to Mission: Space. And speaking of that side of Future World, I miss the old World of Motion too. Test Track is fun, but only when you can dart in through the single riders line.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
One of the main reasons Horizons was closed was because almost nobody was going to it. It was bringing in about 100 people an hour which is bad for a continual loading ride like Horizons. And the only people who went to it probly were mothers who wanted their children to take a quick nap. :D

Herbie53

Premium Member
Horizons RIP.

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15

Coming Soon: We'll discuss the future dismise of the Country Bears at Disneyland.

Do we have to Prof. Moose? How many credits am I getting for this course?

Tramp

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
As we continue, we come upon Horizons. Horizons when it opened on October 1st, 1983, it was built to lead America into the third century of its existence. Many of the imaginners were pleased with the attraction because it complemented Walt Disney's original vision of EPCOT. They were so proud that they inserted "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" from the Carousel of Progress into the show. But as time passed many lost interest in it, especially General Electric. So much so that they pulled their sponsorship of the attraction and Disney decided to shut it down because they had no interest to continue paying money for an attraction that wasn't bringing much people in. But when Disney decided to close the World of Motion in 1994 to replace it with Test Track, they reopened Horizons.

Why? It didn't make sense for 1/2 of Future World West to be closed at the same time, so they thought they would keep Horizons temporarily open till 1997 when Test Track was open for business. But nothing went accourding to plan. Test Track had servere problems with its test run and din't open till March 1999. So all that while, Horizons cast members waited for the attraction to close. Finally in Summer 1999, Horizons was closed for good. But what would happen to it? Well for at least a year, the building just sat there. The signs came down outside and inside but nothing else was done. The in February/March 2000, walls appeared around the building that said, "WATCH THIS SPACE FOR FUTURE ANNOUNCEMENTS." Disney then announced plans for Mission: Space presented by Compag, a brand new thrill ride for Epcot which is scheduled to open in 2003.

The closing of Horizons wasn't met with as much protest as with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride but the Toad fans did post a Save Horizons website. But other then that, most people were excited about the new thrill ride. The question was, what was the attraction going to present to us that Test Track hadn't?

Though details are still sketchy, here is what I have heard so far. Guests will walk into the building and be told in a pre-show that they are being sent by spaceship to Mars. Four guests board a single simulator that presents what astronauts fell on space flights like lift-off and weightlessness. Details after that are too sketchy to be told as true. The outside of the building should be completed by December 2001 and the inside finished by December 2002 with time to work out the bugs before Summer 2003.

If there are still Horizon fans out there, you may feel saddened by what I will say. There were plans to keep the original Horizons building and some of the audio-animatronics. Plans were to cut out the back and make the entire thing one huge pavilion like the Wonders of Life but plans were scrapped because it was heading into the $300 million range and Compag wasn't willing to pay that much for one ride. Too bad thoug. More and more classic rides are getting the ax. Soon there won't be much classics left to fully enjoy.

Till next time, See Ya!! :cool:

Do you get paid by the word? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom