Cirque du Soleil is offering a new premium 'La Nouba' experience at Downtown Disney

lebeau

That comment rings true, very loudly. Disney could give away piles of cash and there would be those who would accuse them of greed because the piles weren't big enough.

Let me know when that happens. I'd like to test that theory. ;)

Some people are hard to please. (Others are pleased way too easily.) It doesn't mean there isn't a legit gripe here.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The premium experiences that are popping up all over the resort are generally good ideas, I think. To the extent you can offer extras to those wiling to pay for them without negatively impacting the experience of other guests, I think it's great. So Harambe nights, backstage at La Nouba, Wild Africa Trek, the Epcot wind-down -- these all make great use of existing assets, make money (that can be reinvested, held for future use, returned to shareholders, used to pay bonuses, whatever), and provide a new experience for some guests.

Where I get uncomfortable with these things is when they do take away from other guests. Then it's a matter of to what degree. Take the Wishes dessert party. The price point is low enough that I have taken advantage of it a couple times. Nice place to watch fireworks along with some light desserts and beverages, and it makes watching the fireworks relaxing instead of a pushing/shoving match. But I don't like the fact that offering it meant that a good viewing area was taken away from other guests.

That's what I don't like about the premium Frozen package, and why I'm against allowing more fastpasses for those who pay more. There's a very fine line as to what's too far in the upcharge special privileges area. Obviously, it's a matter of judgment as to when/whether Disney has crossed that line.

tblundy

I'm not sure how an optional experience can be considered a "cash grab". You do not have to partake in this premium experience if it offends you or leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Just buy regular La Nouba tickets and be on your way.

I always thought this forum was for Disney fans...but recently it seems to have become a place to bash all that is Disney. :-(

Bottom line - if you don't like Disney or what they do or how much they charge or how they maintain their rides and parks - DON'T GO!

lebeau

I'm not sure how an optional experience can be considered a "cash grab".

Aren't all cash transactions optional? You have a very narrow definition of a cash grab apparently.

A cash grab is "an undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort."

Sounds like a lot of what Disney has been doing lately to me.

lebeau

I just read about the Frozen package. Wow! Is that ever a shameless cash grab! And I thought the Feel the Force package was a raw deal.

tblundy

Aren't all cash transactions optional? You have a very narrow definition of a cash grab apparently.

A cash grab is "an undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort."

Sounds like a lot of what Disney has been doing lately to me.

Like I said...you don't have to go and you don't have to participate in these "cash grabs" that clearly offend you so deeply.

BlueSkyDriveBy

This upgraded experience is basically the Tapis Rouge premium package for the traveling Cirque shows. I've done a couple of them in the past, and there are both positives and negatives for the extra cost. The only difference I can see between this experience and Tapis Rouge is going backstage. Tapis Rouge doesn't offer that option for the big tent shows, at least they didn't a few years ago.

Tapis Rouge is basically a music-filled, pulsating light show VIP tent with free wine, brewed coffee/tea, soft drinks, and gourmet appetizers. Not bad if you can actually drink alcohol or eat whatever you feel like (no on both counts for me per medical restrictions, so not a great bargain to those with similar problems). They also have their own trailer of the special Cirque high end port-a-potties which makes for far shorter lines at intermission. And if you're into the Cirque consumer merch experience, Tapis Rouge sells it all in a less crowded environment. Plus there's the goodie bag with music sampler CDs, souvenir show program, lanyard for your ticket, etc.

For the traveling shows, if you can afford it, Tapis Rouge is worth the bucks. For La Nouba... eh... it's a different arena so I'm not so sure.

I think I'd rather spend those bucks somewhere else on property or over at Uni, like the Chef's Table at Tchoup Chop. I just don't see the need to wait for La Nouba in style, since DtD isn't exactly the San Francisco Giants parking lot, blocks away from any decent eatery.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
It shows disrespect for the customer. Just because you can choose not to take part in it doesn't mean you're not allowed to be irritated by the low quality/high priced "premium" offerings.

How does it show disrespect to the customer, it provides more options for them? That is roughly the same as getting upset or irritated at Deluxe or Moderate resorts because you view them as low quality/high priced premium resorts.

It seems to me that no matter what TDO does there is a very vocal, passionate group that will complain and act offended. I find it very humorous to read post after post complaining about TDO not doing anything but when they do a subsection complain about the cash grab, low quality, high price before it has even had a single show.

dupac

It's disrespectful to your customer when you slap whatever price tag you want on a product and assume people will buy it because Disney. Customers are buying a vacation and their money can get them better amenities and even higher caliber experiences elsewhere. Except, Disney. Right?

lebeau

It's disrespectful to your customer when you slap whatever price tag you want on a product and assume people will buy it because Disney. Customers are buying a vacation and their money can get them better amenities and even higher caliber experiences elsewhere. Except, Disney. Right?

And people are paying these high prices. Apparently, Disney is asking what the market will bear, right? No harm in that. What Disney doesn't seem to realize and/or care about is that rather than exceeding customer expectations like they used to, they are now meeting them or coming in below expectations. The reason people are willing to pay Disney top dollar for a new package is that Disney has a long history of delivering the goods. But now they are developing a reputation for ripping off their guests with cash grabs. In the long, long run I think these programs will hurt Disney if they don't get them under control.

dupac

And people are paying these high prices. Apparently, Disney is asking what the market will bear, right? No harm in that. What Disney doesn't seem to realize and/or care about is that rather than exceeding customer expectations like they used to, they are now meeting them or coming in below expectations. The reason people are willing to pay Disney top dollar for a new package is that Disney has a long history of delivering the goods. But now they are developing a reputation for ripping off their guests with cash grabs. In the long, long run I think these programs will hurt Disney if they don't get them under control.

I agree. It's not JUST the high prices that reflect a growing disrespect for customers or even an arrogance .

sweetpee_1993

If they included dinner in this package...I think it would be completely worth it. $500 for a premium night out including a sit down meal in Downtown Disney, Front and center seating, and backstage tour. That would make for a nice evening and something I'd be willing to try once. I wouldn't ever consider this current package.

This was exactly what I was thinking. Lose the gift bag & feed me. I'd also like a cocktail pre-show. For the right inclusions I would consider it but not what's currently listed. I'd be just as happy with the front & center seat, skip the rest.

ABQ

I know it was mentioned before, but can anyone confirm, is this a Cirque thing or a Disney thing. Meaning, who is really taking the cash in this so called "cash grab" A number of people have thrown WDW under the bus on this one, but I thought most, if not all, the 3rd parties at DTD operate on their own and just pay lease fees to Disney.

dupac

Disney does what they do in terms of low quality offerings and high prices because they believe they can. They believe people are loyal enough to the brand/IP that they'll eat it up regardless. And maybe they do. But it just seems to show a lack of care for true quality for guests. Sorry if that view is extreme for you.

Anyway, this le Cirque thing is separate so I'm leaving this be.

slappy magoo

a: Cirque is setting the prices, not Disney.
b: This isn't a package that used to be included with standard tickets and is now something you must pay much more in order to get. It was (in La Nouba anyway) a package Cirque didn't offer before now, and now they do. No one who bought a regular ticket before is getting screwed out of something.

IMHO, it's not much different the "Premium movie tickets" some studios are offering for one time events - first I heard of it was for a slightly early premiere of World War Z in a few select theaters. For 50 dollars, you got your movie ticket (in 3D), collectible glasses, popcorn and a beverage, a collectible poster and, once it became available to the public, your own digital copy of the movie. Now, how much you think paying for that movie or any movie aside, those were big-city theaters, so movie tix themselves would conservatively be 15 bucks, 10 bucks for the popcorn/drink combo and 15 bucks for the digital download. That's 40 bucks right there, at least. Then the poster and glasses and you see the movie before anyone else. The tickets sold all right so it was someone's idea of a value.

This is no different. The package is more than twice the price of a La Nouba ticket, but if you want to see backstage, want to meet someone in the cast, want some free trinkets and a discount on others, you might see this as money you're willing to spend. Not me, to the World War Z ticket or this, but I'm not everybody.

dupac

a: Cirque is setting the prices, not Disney.
b: This isn't a package that used to be included with standard tickets and is now something you must pay much more in order to get. It was (in La Nouba anyway) a package Cirque didn't offer before now, and now they do. No one who bought a regular ticket before is getting screwed out of something.

IMHO, it's not much different the "Premium movie tickets" some studios are offering for one time events - first I heard of it was for a slightly early premiere of World War Z in a few select theaters. For 50 dollars, you got your movie ticket (in 3D), collectible glasses, popcorn and a beverage, a collectible poster and, once it became available to the public, your own digital copy of the movie. Now, how much you think paying for that movie or any movie aside, those were big-city theaters, so movie tix themselves would conservatively be 15 bucks, 10 bucks for the popcorn/drink combo and 15 bucks for the digital download. That's 40 bucks right there, at least. Then the poster and glasses and you see the movie before anyone else. The tickets sold all right so it was someone's idea of a value.

This is no different. The package is more than twice the price of a La Nouba ticket, but if you want to see backstage, want to meet someone in the cast, want some free trinkets and a discount on others, you might see this as money you're willing to spend. Not me, to the World War Z ticket or this, but I'm not everybody.
Sorry. I wasn't really talking about this! Oops lol. I was more talking about the in park premier offerings like the SWW viewing.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Do you not feel like a roped off section of viewing area once accessible by anyone and Mickey bars is... cheap?

Disney does what they do in terms of low quality offerings and high prices because they believe they can. They believe people are loyal enough to the brand/IP that they'll eat it up regardless. And maybe they do. But it just seems to show a lack of care for true quality for guests. Sorry if that view is extreme for you.

Anyway, this le Cirque thing is separate so I'm leaving this be.
I think Disney is well within their rights to offer experiences that require an additional fee. The price will be determined by demand, not by some Internet forum fans editorializing on value and fairness.....there I go, dropping an f-bomb. So, you can continue lamenting the fact that you think it's a rotten deal while hundreds or thousands of guests participate in it and enjoy the experience. Just because something used to be "free" in the past in no way means it has to stay that way.

DABIGCHEEZ

Clearly these are rush jobs to pad numbers. No one begrudges Disney when they offer truly premium "premium experiences." For example, to me, Dolphins in Depth is a wonderful tour worth every penny. Well organized and thought-out premium experiences that truly go beyond the normal day-to-day experience are perfectly reasonable.

For example, why not the Premium Cinderella Castle Suite Experience, where for $299/guest, guests get to tour the Cinderella Castle Suite and take a nap in Cinderella's bed? This could even feature a Cinderella M&G within her royal boudoir.

This will be announced in a few weeks... way to spoil the surprise! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom