Christmas tips

PrincessAnastasia

My family are going to WDW the week before Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone has any holiday specific tips (we've been 10+ times, but never at Christmas). We know it is going to be crazy busy, but any tips about avoiding the crowds, or about special events we can go to would be great!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Welcome!

There really aren't any secrets to avoiding the crowds, since each day closer to Christmas the parks get busier. There are numerous threads on this site about the holiday happenings at WDW which you can easily find if you do a search.

It is a wonderful time to visit and just might see you there as our family is going that same week. :)

Upvote 0

smk

We have been twice at Christmas. Can't suggest a way to avoid the crowds, just pack extra patience! I guess it is a good time to go since most people will arriving the week later, between Christmas and New Years Eve/Day. It is a dream of mine lately to go back at that time. My husband however has no desire to go at that time ever again!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We found November a week before Thanksgiving to offer a nice mixture of Christmas decorations and festivities with somewhat low crowds (low by Disney standards). From what's been said as you get into december and closer to December 25th the crowds start increasing.

There are no secrets other then knowing you'll be pressed in with the humanity, so you need to gird yourself up knowing that there will be long lines every where.

Upvote 0

PrincessAnastasia

Original Poster
We are prepared for the crowds- we've looked at past wait times etc., I was just wondering if there were any tips that would help avoid crowds, but by the sounds of it, there is little we can do! What are the fireworks on Christmas day like- do they do different shows to normal? We are planning to be in Studios, and maybe do Fantasmic on CHristmas day, and possibly then try to get to MK for their fireworks too.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I was just wondering if there were any tips that would help avoid crowds, but by the sounds of it, there is little we can do!

It used to be that people would say run the back of the park, or go counter clockwise (or is it clockwise I forget), but everyone knows those tips and tricks at this point. All I can say is the early morning gives you your best shot at some of the rides, as the day wears on, the park will get more and more crowded.

If you're staying onsite then I'd look to the extended hours and also Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party. You get a smaller group of people to compete against for many of the rides during the time that the park is open for those ticket holders.

Upvote 0

SMS55

I've gone in December the last three years, but it was either the first or second week of December. It's really the only way you're going to avoid the crowds. Once the kids let out of school for the holidays, the crowds grow exponentially by the day as you get closer to Christmas. I am perfectly happy seeing all the decorations when I go.

Upvote 0

Scott10

My family went December 21-27 a few years ago and we very much enjoyed the trip. We scheduled breakfasts in the park before rope drop when possible and were at the rope very early when not possible. We kept close tabs on park attendance numbers to gauge whether or not we could go back to our room to relax in mid-afternoon and really only had to stay in the park one day to not risk being closed out due to park capacity. One thing that we do remember well, is how nice and relaxing the shows were during this trip.....they were a great way to stay immersed, but also have a seat for a little while! Mickey's rendition of the Christmas story was a favorite of ours.
We stayed at Coronado Springs and ran into Santa as we were strolling out of El Centro one morning and we found Mickey and Minnie dressed in Christmas attire beside the tree in the lobby for a photo op one night! We just took a realistic approach to what we could get accomplished in a day and focused on what fun could be had. We also put up a small Christmas tree that Santa left a couple of presents under for our daughter along with a note telling her that the rest were under the tree at her house!

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Since you've been many times, you have the advantage of not being in "we have to do EVERYTHING!" panic mode like some visitors. When DH and I go, we pick and choose what we really want to do or see and focus on those and simply enjoying the park, the ambiance, and the holiday decorations and music. (We have no kids and are nearing 60) We thoroughly enjoyed the Mickey's Christmas Party last year (1st time at the party) and will be going back in the future.

We took an off day and visited many resorts to see how they are decorated- cheap entertainment, but it was a lot of fun. The gingerbread house at the GF is no to be missed- breathe deep and relax.... We always schedule free time now to visit other resorts, try their restaurants (Sanaa and GF Cafe are two of our favorites) and check out the decor. If there's only an evening free, we hit the Monorail and visit each resort on the route, then take a ride through EPCOT, or we might go to DTD for a snack and see the decorations and lights. This is a nice break from park madness.

A few other suggestions: plan your day, noting times of parades or shows you want to see and use the Fastpass+. Get the phone app so you can check wait times and adjust your Fastpass. Get to the park early, go left, and stay until closing if you can. :)

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

I agree with the others about getting to the parks early, and using EMH where they fit your plans. We did notice that during the first showing of Fantasmic that the amount of people viewing the Osborne Lights is much lower, but once the show is over, the crowds return.

Upvote 0

Lexi

We went 12/25-1/3 a few years ago and had an amazing time. Christmas day we of course went to MK however we took a pool break back at the resort and then went back for dinner at Tonys and then the Wishes dessert party and had no trouble getting back in. The park was also open till 3am so we were able to get on all the rides, just plan for a late night.
Something different to do while you are there is to go on a house and carriage ride at Fort Wilderness. They turn the carriage into a sleigh and you get to tour the camp grounds which are all decorated for Christmas, it really was the highlight of the trip.
My fiance's trip report is in my signature if you're interested in getting a real look at the parks during that time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom