Christmas Parade taping?

mishel635

Just wondering when Disney might release when the taping of the Christmas parade will be? Also how much of a hassle is it to be at the Magic Kingdom all day when they're doing this? I've been searching the forums, but haven't really seen when they usually release the dates that they're taping it.

We are planning to do a full Magic Kingdom day on Monday, December 7th, because we had heard that they usually tape it over the weekend. However I was looking on touringplans.com and last year they taped it on the first Monday and Tuesday of December.
Just don't want to book our ADRs at 180 days for the Magic Kingdom all day and end up having to change it to avoid the parade taping. Be Our Guest reservations are not easy to come by! ;)
Would appreciate any advice or experience you have please! :)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Based solely on the fact there were less problems with taping this past year, I'd expect taping to be 12/7 and 12/8. A majority of the filming is done very early in the morning, and won't impact your experience. In fact, most folks avoided that day due to taping, and the park was pretty empty. Those involved in taping are pretty stuck in their spot, so you can work around main street and enjoy the rest of the park pretty easily.
Totally agree! We have been in MK the days of filming several times and the park was not crowded at all except where they were filming at that particular moment and spot in the park. :)

Upvote 0

PinnySmart

As long as you don't participate in the filming you should be ok. I have heard horror stories from those who participate but it is hearsay I have never done it myself.

Upvote 0

mishel635

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback! I guess we will just plan to go that day and see how it is. So the taping is mostly just confined to Main Street correct?

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Thank you for the feedback! I guess we will just plan to go that day and see how it is. So the taping is mostly just confined to Main Street correct?
Correct most of the parade 90% is taped along Main Street up to and including the Castle area. The rest of the park is usually not affected. And they leave a walkway to walk behind the crowds so you can go into any of the shops etc along Main Street if you like as well or just use the walkway to get to the rest of the park. You may have to go round about to get to certain sides you want to go but it's not that much trouble really. We stood in the crowd and watched some of the taping ourselves back in 2013. Kinda fun to watch some of it. :)

Upvote 0

UncleSissy

I think they will be taping sometime during December 3-6th... My husband and I will be there from the 3rd through 7th, and the Keys to the Kingdom Tour isn't available on the 3rd though 6th, which makes sense if all the back stage areas are busy with parade stuff- they would cancel the tour during the taping days. The tour is back on for December 7th- so, with any luck, you will be a-ok! :)

Upvote 0

cindy_k

If you don't mind standing around cheering at the same performance you just watched 3 times, and cheering at nothing on director's que, you get a chance to be on TV on Christmas morning and perhaps get to see a famous person perform. :D

I've gone to the taping a few times. Saw Justin Beiber a few years ago.
I find it fun, but I don't expect to be doing anything else while I am there. It does tend to free up the ride lines a bit, since a lot of people who are in the park are all on Main Street cheering at nothing. :p

Upvote 0

reptar77

It starts the first weekend in December. We have spent a week at WDW starting on the first Thurs in Dec for the past 5 yrs. The taping is always there, I can't remember if they start on Thurs or Friday. We usually avoid the MK during that time. It is not terrible if you go during that time once you get past main street. Sometimes you will have a problem around the castle bridge going towards the Haunted mansion. They close it down when the big parade balloons are going thru.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

I went in December 2012 and the parade taping was the weekend before we got there (we were there the 1st week, Sunday to Saturday). We had more issues with the Pop Warner crowds then anything, but as long as we avoided the parks with EMH we did okay.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Couldn't they just use the same crowd shots from year to year and just plug in new performers? Seems like a viable option to me.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom