Christmas Must-Dos?

Since1971

Original Poster
Hello friends!

You were all so wonderful in helping me plan our summer trip that we are going back for a 3 day visit in December. I've never been to the parks during the holidays and I am a little overwhelmed with all of the different show/event options. My two daughters, 12 and 9, are super-excited to see as much as possible, but we are only there for 3 nights. Should we try and do Mickey's Christmas Party and the Candlelight Procession? How about the Frozen event at Hollywood? I'm not psyched about all the additional ticket charges, but if they are worth it and we are there, I will try and secure reservations.

As always, I am so grateful for your help and knowledge!

MRGEFF

We are going early in December, if that helps. Hoping the crowds are smaller that first week...
The crowds are usually manageable the first two weeks of December. We will be there the second week in December, staying @ GF. We have been there in December twice before. The parties are very good, but require a separate admission fee. The Osborne Lights, the Christmas storytellers @ EPCOT< Candlelight Processional are 3 of our favorites. Make sure you visit the resorts on the monorail to check out the gingerbread houses. We know you will have a great time.

Ben_since_1971

GF has the best resort decorations. And early December crowds are truly quite manageable.

MVMCP is worth it if you have never been. If you can, go mid-week. Weekends the locals show up and the party will be more crowded. The fireworks and the holiday parade and the snow on Main St are awesome!! (as are the free cocoa and cookies!!)

Candlelight Processional is another must-see. If you are looking to save, you do not need the dinner package, just get to the stand-by line early. And maybe do the 5:00 PM show - seems to be less crowded. The show is a constant winner.

Osborne Lights - just wow.

Hope you have fun!!!

Ben_since_1971

Almost forgot - if you can book a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness - do it. They take you on a 30 minute ride through some of the campsites and let me tell you - some of the people go all out decorating for Christmas. It is absolutely amazing.

gostone23

Take the time to enjoy the Epcot Storytellers. They are brilliant.
Also, resort hoping ... go see as many gingerbread houses as you can along with the decorations for the different resorts.

Seeing the Osbourne Family Lights get turned on is really amazing too.

Animal Kingdom lodge had this really great music group composed of entirely bells. I have never seen aything like it but it was great. If you can catch that (if they still have) that was amazing.

-robert

Blackie Pueblo

I would definitly see The Candel Light Processional and on that same day check out the Christmas's around the world. It's pretty neat to see how they celebrate Christmas all over. And definitly check out The Grand Floridian and other resorts to see their cool decorations.

JillC LI

Our last trip was in mid-December. DO NOT MISS THE OSBORNE LIGHTS! (sorry for yelling but it's a can't-miss):)
Life size gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian.
Chocolate carousel in the Beach Club.

PhilharMagician

Osborne Lights definitely and also stop by the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house. All of the Deluxe resorts have massive amazing Christmas trees and all are decorated to match their individual themes.

Stop by Epcot to see the Lights of Winter and AK for the Jingle Jungle parade. Oh, sorry these are gone :banghead:

Seriously though go to Epcot and watch Illuminations. The holiday tag added to the typical Illuminations show is amazing and takes Illuminations to another level IMHO.

If you are willing to spend the money for the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party then go, but it is a lot of money to see the Christmas parade, holiday Wishes and Characters dressing in holiday garb and you get free cookies and cocoa. Most rides and shows are open, but it is very crowded.

Disnee4Me

I would spend at least a half day resort hopping, checking out the decorations at the resorts.
I'm hoping to do that next year ... my plan of action is to start from my resort (POR), take the bus to WDW, then hop the monorail to POLY, GF and Contemporary, but I need to figure out where to go next AND the best way to get there. Any suggestions???

epcotisbest

I'm hoping to do that next year ... my plan of action is to start from my resort (POR), take the bus to WDW, then hop the monorail to POLY, GF and Contemporary, but I need to figure out where to go next AND the best way to get there. Any suggestions???
Yes, next, hop a boat from Contemporary and go over to the Wilderness Lodge as, for us, it is a must see. From there you can bus over to DTD for decorations there, and then catch a boat back to POR, stopping at POFQ along the way. Great plan!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Yes, next, hop a boat from Contemporary and go over to the Wilderness Lodge as, for us, it is a must see. From there you can bus over to DTD for decorations there, and then catch a boat back to POR, stopping at POFQ along the way. Great plan!
The boat from Contemporary to WL was my next suggestion :D Then take the bus from WL back to MK and board the Yacht/Beach Club bus...check out the train display at Yacht and the chocolate carousel at Beach...then walk over to Boardwalk to check out the gingerbread creation there! From Boardwalk, catch the bus to DTD and proceed as @epcotisbest suggested!

epcotisbest

The boat from Contemporary to WL was my next suggestion :D Then take the bus from WL back to MK and board the Yacht/Beach Club bus...check out the train display at Yacht and the chocolate carousel at Beach...then walk over to Boardwalk to check out the gingerbread creation there! From Boardwalk, catch the bus to DTD and proceed as @epcotisbest suggested!
Excellent advice but a lot of resort hopping to take in in one day. For me, I would save Boardwalk area resorts for another time so it would not seem so rushed, that way I could linger longer at each place. Of course, my wife and I are guilty of the linger longer thing when it comes to Christmas decorations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom