Christmas In Cars Land - A Pictorial

TP2000

Original Poster
The new Christmas decorations for Cars Land, a land that isn't yet 5 months old, are just fantastic. I thought that since there's so much eye candy there, and it's such a unique new offering, that it deserved its own thread. Feel free to post or link your own pictures, or just enjoy these pictures from the most recent Dateline Disneyland update. http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.c...09-12/26437311_rcXbZf#!i=2206125309&k=X95G2Dh

The land is decorated from top to bottom, but with each shop, restaurant or ride in the land getting its own themed version of decorations done as if the character that owns that location had been the decorator. It's terribly clever, and while pictures don't really do much of this justice, it's fun to look at...

The entry billboard was replaced with a "Season's Speedings" message, and with a snowcar in front.
IMG_9554-L.jpg

A second row of telephone poles mysteriously showed up in early October along the west side of Route 66. Al Lutz mentioned they were temporary and for Christmas garland, and sure enough he was right!

Garlands are made out of wrenches and air filters, with wreaths of whitewall tires, naturally.
IMG_9947-L.jpg

Every location is decorated, and every location has their own Christmas tree. Mater has placed a sparking spark plug on the top of his at the entry to his ride.
IMG_9622-L.jpg

The spark plug flashes and sparks at night. Clever!
IMG_9631-L.jpg

The Cozy Cone Motel has gone with a theme of... wait for it... cones! The tree and decorations on the lawn are powered by a giant car battery with jumper cables. Wouldn't you love to be in these TDA meetings where they come up with this stuff?!?
IMG_9663-L.jpg

Each cone is decorated, along with the entire seating area.
IMG_9700-L.jpg

Sally's Cozy Cone office has a cone tree, with an old-fashioned 1950's/60's "color wheel" that used to be so popular for aluminum trees (and that are popular again with MCM hipsters).
IMG_9728-L.jpg

Sally also spent time making a little gingerbread house setup of the Cozy Cone Motel! Do you think car-made gingerbread smells like ginger, or gasoline?
IMG_9704-L.jpg

TP2000

Original Poster
The county Courthouse got decorated too, with a big tree covered in shiny hubcaps. Stanley, the town patriarch, has taken on a new role as "Santa Stanley" with a Santa cap and a bag full of toys (or autoparts?) slung over his back.

IMG_9837-L.jpg

Ramone's was decorated outside and in, along with the other food and dining locations in Cars Land.
IMG_9861-L.jpg

Here's the new door that will soon lead to the expanded salesfloor of Ramone's, to keep up with demand for Cars Land souvenirs.
IMG_9864-L.jpg

Ramone's decorations have pinstripes and chrome accesories on them. "Legit", as the kids in my neighborhood now say. :cool:
IMG_9901-S.jpg
IMG_9910-S.jpg

IMG_9898-L.jpg

http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.c...09-12/26437311_rcXbZf#!i=2206221887&k=7FFDxWz

Cosmic Commando

After having walked through the Christmas decorations probably ten times, I noticed something new yesterday. The star on top of Sarge's tree is an entire Jeep style hood with a white Army star on it! There's really so much to see.

sponono88

Here's a cool video I just found about the Cars Land decorations. The resort enhancement manager goes into detail and provides some fun facts about the decor, the lights, and the backstory behind the seasonal overlay for Cars Land. He also gives some hints about what we may see in next year's holiday season.

The walkthrough tour begins at the 2:00 minute mark:

Matt7187

Wow! That is the best decorations I have ever seen at a Disney park! I hope they can do that kind of stuff everywhere in all the parks!

Cosmic Commando

Here's a cool video I just found about the Cars Land decorations. The resort enhancement manager goes into detail and provides some fun facts about the decor, the lights, and the backstory behind the seasonal overlay for Cars Land. He also gives some hints about what we may see in next year's holiday season.

The walkthrough tour begins at the 2:00 minute mark:

I really liked the way he talked about how they didn't know whether the neon and the Christmas lights would work together. Well, they do... wonderfully so! Part of what makes the parks exciting to me is the experimental nature of them; you really don't know how things will work out until you try!

TP2000

Original Poster
The nightly neon lighting ceremony has been a special moment since Cars Land opened, set to Sh-Boom like the famous scene in the movie.

Well, for the holiday season there is a new nightly lighting ceremony where all the neon and all the Christmas decorations turn on one by one working its way up the street. It's set to an early 1960's girl group version of "Walking In A Winter Wonderland" and it's just really fun to experience. Here's a video of the nightly lighting for the holiday season.

FUN FACT: When Flo's V8 Café lights up about halfway through the song, her fluorescent lights on the valve covers over her patio and the lights on her big air filter roof turn on in shades of red and green. They stay red and green only for the song, and once the song is done they revert back to their usual colors to make all her Christmas decorations pop even more. A fun little extra just for the lighting moment, and so clever. The magic is in the details, as Walt always said! (And you just know that Walt would have loved the magic that is Cars Land.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom