Christmas at the Poly or WL?

Nala06

Original Poster
Torn between the Poly and wl for a christmas trip. I absolutely love the poly and would stay there in a heartbate if the cost wasnt so much higher than wl. Plus i have heard how beautiful wl is at christmas. Trip would be for 7 nights.

Pros/cons of each?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Stayed at WL several times for Christmas. The lobby is stunning with the decorated tree, garlands are draped all around the railings on the floors, the fire is roaring in the fireplace and the place just screams "Christmas" to me. Even the lobby in the DVC villas is lovely. Plus everything has that wonderful Christmas fragrance. In my opinion, WL tops the GF at Christmas...including the gingerbread house.

I wonder, though, with all the construction at WL, if it will be as decorated this Christmas. We stayed last Christmas, but they'd just started clearing for the new water front cabins.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I love the Poly. It is my favorite resort ~ but not at Christmas. Poly is not the resort to stay at if you want to be immersed in holiday spirit. The decor at the WL puts the Poly to shame.

Here is the Poly's tree from last year.

image.jpeg

Except for a few wreaths on the monorail platform, this was the extent of the decorations.

This is the WL:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And the lighted walkway from the bus stop into the lodge:

image.jpeg

The WL also has performing choirs on select nights and activities for children. There is always a fire in the grand fireplace. You can take a boat from WL to Ft. Wilderness and check out the decorated campsites. This folks with RVs go all out with lights, inflatables and music!

Of course there a pros and cons of both resorts, but if you main question is which resort has more of a "Christmas feel", it is WL hands-down.

HurricaneHanna

We don't stay at Wilderness Lodge very often because we prefer the resorts that are within walking distance of at least one park, but at Christmas I'd pick Wilderness Lodge every time. It's like being completely immersed in Holiday Spirit !

jpeden

In the Parks
No
We stayed at the Poly last year during the Christmas season. I agree that it lacks in Christmas decor. Go with WL - you will not be disappointed especially if you love Christmas decorations!

Nala06

Original Poster
I love the Poly. It is my favorite resort ~ but not at Christmas. Poly is not the resort to stay at if you want to be immersed in holiday spirit. The decor at the WL puts the Poly to shame.

Here is the Poly's tree from last year.

View attachment 152133
Except for a few wreaths on the monorail platform, this was the extent of the decorations.

This is the WL:

View attachment 152132

View attachment 152134

View attachment 152136

View attachment 152137

And the lighted walkway from the bus stop into the lodge:

View attachment 152135

The WL also has performing choirs on select nights and activities for children. There is always a fire in the grand fireplace. You can take a boat from WL to Ft. Wilderness and check out the decorated campsites. This folks with RVs go all out with lights, inflatables and music!

Of course there a pros and cons of both resorts, but if you main question is which resort has more of a "Christmas feel", it is WL hands-down.

Oh its so pretty!

This will be our only trip for a few years and I would love to maybe do both resorts? Or would moving to the poly totally ruin the Christmas vibe coming from wl?

wdwfan22

The Christmas décor is better at Wilderness Lodge, however the rooms are small and cramped. I would still pick the Polynesian as the rooms are spacious and grounds are still better.

21stamps

Oh its so pretty!

This will be our only trip for a few years and I would love to maybe do both resorts? Or would moving to the poly totally ruin the Christmas vibe coming from wl?
Poly is my favorite as well, but we are not staying there this coming winter. I feel like it will be easier to have everything under one roof when it's cold, plus a pool wasn't a factor that time of year.
If you want to stay more convenient to transportation options-maybe consider the Contemporary? You can monorail to Poly to get your atmosphere fix, and to GF for their decorations, you can easily boat over to WL to see their decorations and eat!
(That's our plan anyway :) ) Good luck with whatever you decide!

Nala06

Original Poster
The Christmas décor is better at Wilderness Lodge, however the rooms are small and cramped. I would still pick the Polynesian as the rooms are spacious and grounds are still better.
Its just me, dh and ds3 so hopefully they arent too small for us.

Nala06

Original Poster
poly pros: preferred resort if not christmas, monorail to mk and close to ttc for epcot, restaurants look more appealing, view of mk and wishes from the grounds, husbands top choice, rooms bigger? (Studio) access to monorail resorts

Wilderness pros: decor at christmas, cost, boat to mk

Poly cons: cost (pretty siginificant before discountd), lack of christnas decor

Wilderness cons: not the top choice, no monorail, restaurants not preferred, smaller rooms

Anything i am missing?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
poly pros: preferred resort if not christmas, monorail to mk and close to ttc for epcot, restaurants look more appealing, view of mk and wishes from the grounds, husbands top choice, rooms bigger? (Studio) access to monorail resorts

Wilderness pros: decor at christmas, cost, boat to mk

Poly cons: cost (pretty siginificant before discountd), lack of christnas decor

Wilderness cons: not the top choice, no monorail, restaurants not preferred, smaller rooms

Anything i am missing?
With just you, your hubby and a 3 year old, a WL room will not feel small. If you a looking at a studio room at the Poly the 2nd bathroom is just wasted space. (The studio rooms are configured differently than regular Poly rooms, and with the 2nd bathroom the main area is about the same size as a WL room.)

Whispering Canyon is a very kid-friendly restaurant and Roaring Fork has a larger seating area than Capt. Cooks. The non-breakfast items in Cooks all have an "island flair" (pineapple, Asian slaw, etc) which is great if you like that but not so much if you don't. Roaring Fork is more American fare.

You can still access the monorail from WL if you want ~ boat from WL to CR and take the elevator to the 4th floor.

Not trying to sell you on WL, just giving you a little more info. :)

Nala06

Original Poster
With just you, your hubby and a 3 year old, a WL room will not feel small. If you a looking at a studio room at the Poly the 2nd bathroom is just wasted space. (The studio rooms are configured differently than regular Poly rooms, and with the 2nd bathroom the main area is about the same size as a WL room.)

Whispering Canyon is a very kid-friendly restaurant and Roaring Fork has a larger seating area than Capt. Cooks. The non-breakfast items in Cooks all have an "island flair" (pineapple, Asian slaw, etc) which is great if you like that but not so much if you don't. Roaring Fork is more American fare.

You can still access the monorail from WL if you want ~ boat from WL to CR and take the elevator to the 4th floor.

Not trying to sell you on WL, just giving you a little more info. :)
Its such a tough choice! And really either would be great. In my mind if it werent christmas I think it would be poly hands down. But i am a sucker for christmas decor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom