Christmas at the DLR (2014)

TP2000

Hey guys! Quick question, will that Frozen stage in front of the castle be there the whole Christmas season at Disneyland? My family and I are going to DLR at Christmas (for the first time!) early December, and I was just curious if it's a permanent addition. Thanks a ton!

It was just there for the weekend, to film the Christmas Day TV Special for ABC. It's already gone.

Nland316

I liked last years version vs this years. This years seems to be choppy compared to last years. I said this on YouTube:
Its like they took frozen and winter dreams and put it in a blender and hoped it came out better.
For me it goes both ways. I do like how last year had better transitioning. However, I felt that most of the scenes were boring because of how long they were. There is too much frozen this year, which to me doesn't make the show feel "christmas-y" enough. They should focus on more variety which I know probably won't happen due to the movie's popularity. Olaf as a host just bothers me in general too, there is a reason why the original world of color didnt end up getting a host like planned. The show still needs drastic work, but every year it's getting somewhat better.

Crazydisneyfanluke

For me it goes both ways. I do like how last year had better transitioning. However, I felt that most of the scenes were boring because of how long they were. There is too much frozen this year, which to me doesn't make the show feel "christmas-y" enough. They should focus on more variety which I know probably won't happen due to the movie's popularity. Olaf as a host just bothers me in general too, there is a reason why the original world of color didnt end up getting a host like planned. The show still needs drastic work, but every year it's getting somewhat better.
For me they made the right additions to the "christmas-y" scenes this year. The order they had it in made sense with good flow. I don't like how near the end it becomes a frozen sing-a-long. They still could have added more frozen where it made sense, like in the beginning "do you want to build a snowman"/"let it go" they create Olaf, the host of the show, And he then introduces himself, and how he dreams of summer (in summer). Elsa then turns to Olaf and asks him to show everyone what other winter dreams. That should be it, they don't have to have any more frozen in there besides Olaf the host, who takes us on a journey to explore winter dreams.

TP2000

I don't have an ounce of Hispanic ancestry in my background, but one of my favorite things at the Disneyland Resort during Christmastime is the Viva Navidad! zone in Paradise Gardens at DCA. They redo the whole area into a Three Caballeros theme, change out the menus at the two restaurants to some really good Mexican food, and do arts n' crafts on the patio.

DSC_2662-M.jpg

With the full change-out of the restaurant menus, the Paradise Gardens bandstand also switches to Mariachi bands for the season to entertain folks on the dining terrace. Christmas carols performed by Mariachi bands sound great!

They also feature local folk arts groups, often children's groups, to perform for diners and passers-by.
DSC_2653-M.jpg

But the big hit is the Viva Navidad! street show itself, performing a half dozen times per day from lunch through the dinner hours. It's ridiculously catchy and infectious and fun. The show features Mexicans and Brazilians, live Mariachis and Samba drummers, Donald Duck and Panchito and Jose, plus Santa and Mrs. Claus and Mickey and Minnie. About the only thing this show is missing is Charo.
DSC_2753-L.jpg

First the traditional Mariachi band comes out with the Mexican dancers. Then the wilder and crazier Brazilians show up to Samba. The 10 minute show just keeps getting wilder and more and more festive, all wrapped up in a big Christmas bow.

DSC_2808-L.jpg

In addition to the musicians and characters, there are dozens of authentic folk dancers performing the traditional dances of Mexico and Brazil in a Battle of the Bands number. Disneyland contracts the dancers just for Viva Navidad! from local arts groups in Southern California. These dancers are a big reason why this show just explodes with charm and heart; they are truly talented young people and you can see how proud they are to bring their craft to Disneyland for the season. Bravo!

IMG_9913-L.jpg

DSC_2771-L.jpg

If you are visiting the Resort this Holiday season and want a big dose of Christmas cheer (or just some good Mexican food), you can't miss Viva Navidad! It's truly one of the brightest decorations on Disneyland's Christmas Tree.

DSC_2838-L.jpg

Last edited:

wild01ride

So, I'm kinda bummed that there won't be any evening entertainment in the former Mad T area while I am there...
It looks like my visit will fall between the closing of Mad T (Nov 30) and the opening of the Frozen whatevertheheckitis...(12/20)! :(
I never warmed up to Mad T but at least hoped it would be going on in the heart of Dec.!

tirian

Small World Holiday, ¡Viva Navidad!, and Winter Dreams are definitely the highlights of Christmas at DL this year. The Christmas parade needs to be retired ASAP—it feels old, and not in a good nostalgic way.

I think HMH might have finally gone too far for my taste. I like NBC but instead of enhancing HMH, Burton's atmosphere has completely replaced everything else in the area; even the BGM around N.O. Square is NBC with a few exceptions.

Sadly, I learned how another N.O. Square boutique is being replaced by a mall store; this time it's Pandora that's coming in.

But overall, Christmas at DL is shiny and bright; and unlike the MK, you don't have to waste money on a hard-ticket event to experience the joy of Christmas!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom