Chinese Theatre

El_Tomato

Original Poster
This is a question that I've asked myself for a long time (more exactly, since the Hat was removed): why doesn't Disney use the Chinese Theatre as HWS' icon?
After all, the Great Movie Ride is now sponsored by TCM and the exterior of the building has been refurbished, giving it a nicer look. Also, that building is the first big "weenie" you see when entering the park, and not ToT.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
That's a loaded question.

First off, the Chinese theatre has never been the icon for this Park at any part of its life. The Earful Tower was the original icon to represent the working studio aspect of the park.

Next, there is a long rumored theory that Disney did not, for a period of time, have the promotional rights to use the Chinese Theatre, similar to the period of time when Disney-MGM was promoted as Disney Studios on those old WDW VHS tapes. Think about how whenever an external aspect of the park was shown, between 1994 and when the hat went up in 2001 on a travel special or those video cassettes, it was always looking down Sunset Boulevard almost exclusively. A rumor is that the TCM sponsorship had part in the hat suddenly coming down, although that is offset by the planned Star Wars takeover in Echo Lake where the hat would have visually intruded into that version of the land.

Finally, you're assuming that the Chinese Theatre facade will remain long term. With the rumors of Great Movie Ride being replaced, there's no guarantee that you will still enter through the Chinese Theatre.

Hopefully that somewhat answers your question.

El_Tomato

Original Poster
That's a loaded question.

First off, the Chinese theatre has never been the icon for this Park at any part of its life. The Earful Tower was the original icon to represent the working studio aspect of the park.

Next, there is a long rumored theory that Disney did not, for a period of time, have the promotional rights to use the Chinese Theatre, similar to the period of time when Disney-MGM was promoted as Disney Studios on those old WDW VHS tapes. Think about how whenever an external aspect of the park was shown, between 1994 and when the hat went up in 2001 on a travel special or those video cassettes, it was always looking down Sunset Boulevard almost exclusively. A rumor is that the TCM sponsorship had part in the hat suddenly coming down, although that is offset by the planned Star Wars takeover in Echo Lake where the hat would have visually intruded into that version of the land.

Finally, you're assuming that the Chinese Theatre facade will remain long term. With the rumors of Great Movie Ride being replaced, there's no guarantee that you will still enter through the Chinese Theatre.

Hopefully that somewhat answers your question.

Thanks for answering that. I just find kinda sad that after all of the refurbs done to the building (which, IMO, is what gives the park that "movie/Hollywood-y" vibe), ToT ended up as the icon.

Kman101

As far as I know marketing was the only reason why the hat was kept so long as the park icon. And they didn't want to pay to tear it down. It's not exactly hidden anymore. I'd imagine they use Tower now because it's more recognized as a weenie/icon.

ElreTigo

This is a question that I've asked myself for a long time (more exactly, since the Hat was removed): why doesn't Disney use the Chinese Theatre as HWS' icon?
After all, the Great Movie Ride is now sponsored by TCM and the exterior of the building has been refurbished, giving it a nicer look. Also, that building is the first big "weenie" you see when entering the park, and not ToT.
The Chinese theater was the original park icon, and to me it will always be the park icon.

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 193

lazyboy97o

It has always been my understanding that it was due to a licensing issue.
This has always been a popular explanation but the actual theater predates the legislation that would enable such an arrangement. There also has never been any disclaimer like with other external properties when it has been utilized for promotional purposes.

El_Tomato

Original Poster
You will. At least at the moment.

Still, if the Great Movie Ride were rethemed to a "Great Mickey Ride" of some sort, would they even consider tearing the Chinese Theatre down? Cause that seems like a really difficult thing to do, especially when you have a whole building adjacent to it. (And even if they were to demolish it, what would they put in its place?)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Still, if the Great Movie Ride were rethemed to a "Great Mickey Ride" of some sort, would they even consider tearing the Chinese Theatre down? Cause that seems like a really difficult thing to do, especially when you have a whole building adjacent to it. (And even if they were to demolish it, what would they put in its place?)
Amongst past proposals (possibly around the Guardians LPS time) there were plans for a new facade. So it has been thought about.

cheezbat

I love the theatre. I loved how they added Carthay to DCA too. I find both theatres to be solid icons to both parks. The Earful Tower was cool, but horribly misplaced. It was next to impossible to photograph. I like Tower of Terror better than the ugly hat, but it's location just doesn't make it seem appropriate.

If it were up to me, the Chinese Theatre would be DHS' icon.

Goofyernmost

The Chinese theater was the original park icon, and to me it will always be the park icon.
Not that it's all that important, but, the theater was never the park icon. It started out being the Earfull Tower, then later they used ToT, but, if the theater was thought of as the Icon it was just in the minds of the public, never Disney.

ElreTigo

but, if the theater was thought of as the Icon it was just in the minds of the public, never Disney.
Well Disney certainly never informed their marketing team if it was not in their minds to make the theater an icon. In addition to the literature / brochures/ books, movies mentioned as examples in my earlier post, which clearly is Disney saying: "This building represents our new park.", there were also plenty of TV spots where Disney makes it apparent that the theater is the icon. Just one example:

Goofyernmost

Well Disney certainly never informed their marketing team if it was not in their minds to make the theater an icon. In addition to the literature / brochures/ books, movies mentioned as examples in my earlier post, which clearly is Disney saying: "This building represents our new park.", there were also plenty of TV spots where Disney makes it apparent that the theater is the icon. Just one example:

Being a background for a automobile commercial, does not an Icon make. That makes it a prop.

ToTBellHop

Just curious if you could elaborate more on what you mean here? As I think, while the theater would be better IMO, the tower doesn't fit too poorly as an icon at all.
It's a haunted hotel with a theme that in no way ties the rest of the park together as an icon should. It's big, which makes it a weenie, but it is no more appropriate than making Space Mountain the MK icon. Thematically, the Chinese Theatre works better but it is not distinctively Disney. Icons should pull the whole park together. The Mickey Hat honestly did that but was gaudy as hell. Who would have thought they'd tear it down and decide to build a Mickey ride behind it two years later?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom