Child Harnesses

wdwfan4eva

Original Poster
I have always said that I wouldn't put my child on a leash......
Well, now I'm having second thoughts! :hammer: Has anyone on here used one on their child at the parks??

My son just turned one and has been walking for about two weeks. Ever since he was a baby, he's been very, very squirmy. I started getting concerned about taking him on rides. The first thought that popped into my head was getting a child harness to keep a better grip on him. I wouldn't necessarily let him walk around like a dog on a leash while not on the rides but be able to keep him in a ride vehicle. I'm also thinking about one that you can detach the 'leash' when you don't need it.

What does everyone think?!? :veryconfu

lilclerk

I don't have kids, and probably never will have them so I don't know if I'm the best source here... but you better believe I'd keep my toddler on a leash in a place as huge as WDW.

maggiegrace1

I think you need to do what is best for you and your child..If you feel safer doing it then go ahead.

I see lots of people at the parks with them on their children.

On the rides though just hold him in your lap and he shall be okay..That is what I did with my little girl when she was 7 months and also at 19 months.

wdwfan4eva

Original Poster
i'm going to have him on my lap but i don't want him to try and wiggle his way off of my lap. i thought that having the 'harness and leash', i'd be able to get a tighter hold on him. i guess we'll have to see when we're down there. it's not like those things are that expensive either ($10 i think). thanks so far for the replies!!

lilclerk

it's not like those things are that expensive either ($10 i think). thanks so far for the replies!!

That's a good point. Even if you don't end up using it, it would probably be a good idea to buy one at home and bring it with you just in case. It would be a lot more expensive to buy one in WDW.

J_Krafty24

As someone who was put on a "leash" as a child (a streachy cord with a velcro wrist band on each end, one for mom, one for me), I say if it makes you more comfortable and less stressed then do it. I don't even remember ever having worn it but I know that it was used on many trips to the mall. It'll be better to buy one and then decide if and how often to use it down there then to get down there without one and wish you had it.

LuLaSue

I don't have kids, and probably never will have them so I don't know if I'm the best source here... but you better believe I'd keep my toddler on a leash in a place as huge as WDW.

I am in the same boat and in total agreement with you.

Phonedave

If it makes you more comfortable, then why not.

I never used them on my kids, either in WDW or anywhere else, but then they were not the "squirmy" types, especialy on rides. (Rides are when there are interesting things to see :) )

I can see where having a harness without a "leash" attached would be helpful. That way there is something to grab onto when you need to hold him on the rides.

-dave

C.M.O

I don't trust anyone, including toddlers not to run away :lol:
But hey, now they have really cute ones that look like backpacks. They don't seem as weird.

I don't use the harness either but I was going to suggest the backpack one too. They have them with animals, they look a lot better and are probably more comfortable.

SeaBreeze

I was a leashed child at WDW and I'm glad my mom did that! Besides, I thought it was just a toy and didn't realize people felt oddly about it until I was much older. :lol: If it makes you feel better, definitely buy one. It's better to be safe than sorry and you can take it off if you feel you don't need it.

tigsmom

My mom used the harness with us kids and I used the velcro/stretchband thing with my kids...we have all survived. I know people will say all sorts of things, but it comes down to this...do what is best for your child. Little ones do not stay still very long and if using a harness/leash will keep them safe then why not?

There have been a few threads about this and a quick search will bring them up and hopefully answer all of your questions. :wave:

figmentmom

Go for the harness, if it will allow you to relax and enjoy your trip! There's nothing worse than looking around and realizing your little one has taken off. You'll be far more comfortable on ride vehicles as well, knowing that you have a double grip on him.

coasterphil

I saw a kid end up in the loading area of the GMR while his parents were still in the theater area because he wandered off so quickly, so maybe leashes aren't such a silly idea afterall. I've noticed a lot of people coming into the parks with them since I moved here, and hadn't really seen any at all of my previous trips. Maybe I just hadn't payed any attention to that stuff before.

DisneyMagicMom

I bought some off of ebay called Hold My Hand Baby...there are 2 kinds...one is longer. The one I got was really short...and won't stretch more than 2 ft. away from you. I like it because it's so short you don't have to worry about the leash part tripping other people up...plus it attatches to your childs wrist plus the adults wrist so there is no handle to hold onto. It's also alot more comfy then some of the others i've seen. So if you want to check it out you can.

Jessie&Buzz

I used one for my son in WDW when he was 18 months old. It was a pack type and he could put stuff in the pouch. He loved it and I felt so much better knowing that he wasn't roaming off. We also used it at several other amusement parks.

The harness kind are rather cheap in Walmart. Under $10 if I remember correctly. They have/had a red Elmo one. Like mentioned in another reply they also have the animal backpack kind.

waterhouse6

I used a leash for my DS (2) last June. It gave him the feeling that he was able to walk farther and have a little freedom, although I still had him. He had the kind that was a teddy bear backpack and I would use it again. I use it for places here at home where there are larger crowds too. He feels like has has freedom and can walk around, I feel safer knowing I still have him.
P1070072.jpg

clee687

I bought one of the red Elmo harnesses last year when we took our 22 month old son. I was also one of those "I will never walk my child on a leash like a dog" people...until I actually had a child to keep up with. I just suggest that you get some practice time in before you go. We did not. My son didn't mind wearing it but he was very amused by the thing and kept twisting the strap around himself and walking backwards to see it. We had to take it off just to keep him from falling on his face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom