Cheaper hotels near Disney World

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Hi all, I'm trying to get the gears going for next year's trip and I'm looking for some help with ideas for accomodations. No matter how much our family loves staying in the park, we just can't shell out the money for it this time around. If you're wondering why we're going when money's tight, the answer's simple.. we can still afford to have a great time regardless if we have to be a little frugal in some areas. My question is can anyone recommend the cheapest hotel/motel that has shuttle service to and from the parks. I know places have shuttle service to the parks but do they pick up as well? At the same bus stops/different ones?? We don't need 5 star heated in-room pool or anything really fancy, we only really sleep at the hotel the rest of the time we're at the parks. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks friends,
F.R.

ddbowdoin

Hi all, I'm trying to get the gears going for next year's trip and I'm looking for some help with ideas for accomodations. No matter how much our family loves staying in the park, we just can't shell out the money for it this time around. If you're wondering why we're going when money's tight, the answer's simple.. we can still afford to have a great time regardless if we have to be a little frugal in some areas. My question is can anyone recommend the cheapest hotel/motel that has shuttle service to and from the parks. I know places have shuttle service to the parks but do they pick up as well? At the same bus stops/different ones?? We don't need 5 star heated in-room pool or anything really fancy, we only really sleep at the hotel the rest of the time we're at the parks. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks friends,
F.R.

I can give a nod to Baymont Inn and Suites... on the Bronson highway, literally less than a mile from WDW.

We stayed here in 2010, since I had never stayed on property and my then gf (now wife) just wanted an affordable trip. We paid roughly 79 bucks a night. We did rent a car though, there is a shuttle but these shuttle services don't belong to the actual hotel... they're a service used by a group of hotels so it takes a while to get picked up and dropped by off. We found the 14 bucks to park was well worth our time and patience.

http://www.baymontinns.com/hotels/f...ocal-_-all-_-BAY-_-all&cid=IP_Local&wid=local

Epcot-Rules

I can give a good review for Nickelodeon Resort. If you have children they will love it there. I remember it being half the price of Disney and lots of activities. Look them up online, they have great rates if you are a resident.

Father Robinson

Original Poster
If you don't mind, I have a few questions.
  1. When are you planning on going?
  2. What do you mean by cheap? There are some low-end hotels in the $30/night range but there is a reason why these are $30/night hotels.
  3. How many are in your party? If needed, would you be able to stay in 2 rooms even of these rooms are not connected?
  4. I see you are in Rhode Island. How are you getting to WDW, flying or driving?
None of the offsite hotels have "good" bus service. Most are downright bad.

Planning on August.

By cheap I mean under $75 a night. And like I said before, we spend the least amount of time in the room, won't stay in a dump, but doesn't need to be high end either.

4 in party, my wife and I and our two kids (both under 6) so can't have 2 rooms.

Possibly driving, but most likely flying.

onesandzeros

I’ve stayed at the Fairfield Inn at the Marriot Village several times. It’s located outside of the DTD Resorts and not to far from the Crossroads Center. The rates are reasonable and if booked early, I’ve gotten the forth night free. They also offer AAA and senior discounts. Rate includes free breakfast and there is NO resort fee. Park transportation is available for a fee, but having a car works best for me.

ParentsOf4

Planning on August.

By cheap I mean under $75 a night. And like I said before, we spend the least amount of time in the room, won't stay in a dump, but doesn't need to be high end either.

4 in party, my wife and I and our two kids (both under 6) so can't have 2 rooms.

Staying onsite at WDW is not going to cost much more than $75/night in mid to late August. Weekday rates at the All Star Music are $90/night, about $100/night with tax. This is the full priced "rack rate". WDW has offered typical room discounts of 10% for August for some Value Resorts. This brings the rate down to about $90/night. Separately, WDW offers "Free Dining" in mid to late August, which can save huge money for a family of 4. The following link has historical data on WDW discounts.

http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

You'll see a lot of discounts offered in August, especially the second half of August. (Since you are in Rhode Island, I assume the kids don't head to school until the week before Labor Day.) If you time it right, you could go while WDW is offering "Free Dining" but before the kids have to return to school. This will save big money on food and also get you free transportation to and from the airport.

For the relatively small price difference, staying onsite will save you hours of frustration waiting for the very spotty offsite hotel bus service. If you instead decide to drive to WDW, it will cost $14/day to park which, when added to the $75/day, gets you right up to the price of an onsite room with a discount. If you fly, then you'll need to pay for your airport-to-hotel transfers which again will probably end up costing you the equivalent of $15/night (or more) for a family of 4 depending on how many nights you stay. Again, this gets you back up to around $90/night.

If you were looking for a $30/night hotel, then staying offsite would save money (although probably result in a much less happy vacation). However, knowing you are already willing to spend $75/night to stay offsite, you'll find that once you add everything in, staying onsite at a Value Resort in mid to late August could end up costing less than staying offsite.

If you want to go cheaper than $75/night, it's possible to book a decent 2-bedroom condo for as little as $400/week ($57/night), especially in late August.

Goofyernmost

There are a lot of them below that price. I have found clean, passable rooms at $35.00 per night, depending on when you go. I'd advice you to google "Affordable Hotels on Rte 192 in Kissimmee, Fl." Save up a large block of time cause there are many.:)

ratherbeinwdw

Thanks friends,
F.R.
We stay at the Doubletree Suites when we stay offsite. It has pretty decent bus service, and is closer to the parks than lots of onsite resorts, and it's across the street and down a little from DTD. They have bus service to Downtown Disney until 2 most of the time. Their drop-off at MK is out by the TTC, so you still have to ride the ferry or monorail to get into the park. They have set pick-up places just like other resorts. If you end up driving, you will have to pay 10.00 a night to park. If you fly, you'll have to get a taxi or shuttle to get to it. The easiest way to get to MK and not have to ride the ferry or monorail is to go over to DTD and catch the bus to the Contemporary. It will drop you off close to the park. It's not even a five minute walk from where the bus drops you to the front gate. We take the bus straight from the hotel to get to the other parks if we don't drive, which we usually do. We have annual passes, so parking is free for us. (No matter where you stay, you can save the parking fee at the parks by driving and parking at DTD and riding the bus to any resort and taking their bus to the parks you are going to that day; Contemporary for MK, Animal Kingdom Lodge for AK, and Caribbean Beach for HS and Epcot. I wouldn't do this unless you need to save the 14.00 for parking each day, but it will work. A bus driver gave us this advise when we had ridden a boat to DTD and wanted to get to a park later that day. We didn't realize there weren't any buses straight to the parks from DTD and we didn't want to go back to Port Orleans before we went to Magic Kingdom.)
All rooms are suites. Which is great with kids. You have two tv's, a large bathroom and dressing area. The beds are queens and comfy. We haven't used the pull out couch in a couple of years, but it was fine then.
You have a fridge, small but bigger than in the values or mods, a microwave and sink in the kitchen area and a nice size table and chairs. They also have a laundry area. They also give you a 20.00 food voucher if you don't have housekeeping everyday. (Well they did in May.) We have stayed there for from 79.00 a night with AAA to 119.00 per night. We've never paid more. I would book at whatever the current price was and then watch the site daily until they had a discount. I've started with as high as 219.00 or 239.00 a night and ended getting the 79.00 per night by the time we went. As soon as I would catch the price down, I would call and get the new rate. I changed it three times once. Look them up online. Make sure and look for the one on Hotel Plaza Blvd. so you get the bus service to the parks. They give you some amazing warm chocolate chip cookies when you check-in.
Check all the way up until you the day before you leave, just in case the price goes down even more.
However, as someone else said, if you watch for a discount or free dining, you could stay onsite at a value for a very reasonable price. The money you save on food and parking will make up for the little extra over 75.00 per night. We just paid 97.00 for weekdays at the new Art of Animation in the Mermaid rooms. That's full price, by next August they will surely be giving discounts or free dining.

Im going down this friday and i found a cheap hotel 3 miles from the front gate of the parks. Its called Parkside Inn and Suites i am only paying 27.50 a night ended up being 150 for 5 nights

NiarrNDisney

You may also want to look into Baymont Inn and Suites Celebration its just a few miles south of the Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge on Sherbeth rd.

Susan Savia

We too, want a clean and safe room with no fancy this and that. We stay at the Ramada Gateway which is one mile outside the parks. The room is fresh and clean daily and the housekeeping do a great job. There are two pools, a lovely inner garden area or parking at your door which we like. It's quiet with no stomping sounds coming from up stairs (like we experienced at Fairfield). We just returned this past weekend and for 6 nights it was less then $300.

PeoplemoverTTA

I've stayed at several 3-star hotels within a 10-minute drive of WDW for $49 apiece using Priceline (one off season back in 2008, I got a 3-star hotel for $35. Start your bidding early enough and you can definitely start off that low - you never know!). You can choose the closest neighborhoods to the parks, preventing any far-off hotels from accepting your bid. Most recently, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on 535 (literally 7 minutes from my hotel to DHS or Epcot, and it was gorgeous). I've also stayed at the Radisson Celebration (okay) and Sheraton Safari on 535 (near the DTD entrance, a nice place that I've been to twice at $49). I've also gotten the Doubletree DTD for $79 on Priceline. It's really the way to go, imho.

If you're willing to go up to $99, you will likely be able to get one of the nearby resorts. I'm usually too cheap for that, though :)

wiigirl

I can give a good review for Nickelodeon Resort. If you have children they will love it there. I remember it being half the price of Disney and lots of activities. Look them up online, they have great rates if you are a resident.

Went there...really good for younger kids....
75.gif

Figgy1

Premium Member
Planning on August.

If you drive and stay off sight try for a condo!! Full kitchen to save breakfast money. It's a few dollars a night more but well worth it!!

experiment624

(I know this is an older thread, but some are still referring to it so I just wanted to add in a note)

If you stay at an off-site hotel/resort, be aware of a few things. Most (not all) of the hotels are now charging resort fees and parking fees and many are adding the policy even when they didn't charge it before.

Trying to locate lodging for an upcoming event and found that even though the advertised prices of most rooms seemed reasonable, there was then additional fees. They range anywhere from $15-25/night for resort fee and $12-18 for parking, then add your 13% taxes.

Also, we had a hotel on Hotel Plaza that we would stay at several times a year for our event, and we always booked early. Then one visit, we check-in and they tell us about these fees, they had recently added them to their policy, even though they did not disclose them at time of booking (weren't in effect at the time) nor did they write or call to tell us the policy change. We were able to work it out with the management. But now we look at the fine print before booking rooms in Orlando.

HollyAD

Just stayed one night at the Clarion Lake Buena Vista. It wasnt bad and cost about 67$ per night plus tax. No resort or parking fees! It was clean and it's part of choice hotels and I do believe they offer discounts for AAA and have a rewards program. It's located in the Crossroads area which has a wide variety of restaurants and shopping. It was also about a mile from DTD. Not a bad place if you want to save a little cash. Check it out on trip advisor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom