Characters from Big Hero 6 to appear for meet and greets at Walt Disney World this fall

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Why exactly is John Lasseter there hogging credit? He's not the director and he's not the creator of the comics either.

Maybe because he is the Grand Poobah of Disney Animation?

Also, maybe, because without him, there would be no Disney Animation Studios?

Of all the people not to like in TWDC, John Lasseter is the poorest choice. He's everything we want the execs to be.

TP2000

Why exactly is John Lasseter there hogging credit? He's not the director and he's not the creator of the comics either.

He's the Executive Producer of Big Hero 6, that's why. He's also the Chief Creative Officer at the Walt Disney Company, so technically he can go to whatever Disney movie premiere he wants to. He's also a really nice guy, and a huge Disneyland fan.

At around the 40 second mark in that video above, the Japanese presenter screws up his introduction, but she eventually announces "Mr. and Mrs. John Lasseter, and executive producer John Lasseter" as they step out of the car and meet Baymax.

Next Big Thing

He is face. There would be no reason for him to be anywhere near the size of Ralph, anyways.
I think the comparison to Wreck-it Ralph characters was more to Vanellope than Ralph, but that's just a guess. It would seem obvious to have Hiro be face since Baymax can't talk (unless they will have some sort of limited sound fx... I can't see them dumping a ton of money into this meet & greet before seeing how the film does).

minsmk

I know some about puppeteering (That was the field I wanted to go into when I was 10 or so.) so I am guessing that parts of Baymax are puppeteered.

For his head, I imagine the person is wearing a head rig/a helmet that is attached to a rig that moves his head.

As for the blinking, it's probably something like this just on a bigger scale. His eyes seem kind of flat, that's how they fit the lower and upper eyelids.

And yes, Hiro will probably be face. The only reason why Vanellope wasn't, was probably because you have to find a person that looks just as young and as short as Vanny. And Ralph, it would be hard for them to find someone that tall.

Cmdr_Crimson

Behold! Baymax made his first appearance at the Tokyo International Film Festival...
tumblr_ndwsqjqxPb1qbltquo1_500.jpg

Captain Neo

You do realize the Walt Disney Animation Studio has been around since the great depression and has had many very high and very low points throughout it's history including no less than 3 renaissance periods. Lasseter & Company (and Ed Catmull, Don Hahn, Ron Musker, John Clemens, Steve Jobs, etc.) all played a big role in the recent resurgence of Disney animation but make no mistake even without the Pixar buyout something would have been done to revamp the studio. It's too essential to the lifeblood of the company and even business centric people like Bob Iger are fully aware of that.

Matt_Black

Indeed. Say what you want about the "dark period" of 2000-2006, but they tried new things. Plots involving familial or platonic love as opposed to romantic love, different genres, non-musicals, etc. In fact, WDAS appears to have learned lessons from those experiments and are trying again with better results.

FigmentJedi

I've been a skeptic of Lasseter ever since he fired Chris Sanders during the whole American Dog/Bolt debacle. Also the Cars movies. And his lack of effort in fighting for 2D's future.

I'll admit John's been good for the animation unit, but he's no great messiah, he just has way more common sense then the corporate management structure that was butting their heads into Animation's business when crap like Chicken Little and Home on the Range were in production.

Matt_Black

I've been a skeptic of Lasseter ever since he fired Chris Sanders during the whole American Dog/Bolt debacle. Also the Cars movies. And his lack of effort in fighting for 2D's future.

I'll admit John's been good for the animation unit, but he's no great messiah, he just has way more common sense then the corporate management structure that was butting their heads into Animation's business when crap like Chicken Little and Home on the Range were in production.

It's too bad the documentary Sting and his wife made about the production of Emperor's New Groove will most likely never be released, as then we can see exactly HOW bad that structure was.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You do realize the Walt Disney Animation Studio has been around since the great depression and has had many very high and very low points throughout it's history including no less than 3 renaissance periods. Lasseter & Company (and Ed Catmull, Don Hahn, Ron Musker, John Clemens, Steve Jobs, etc.) all played a big role in the recent resurgence of Disney animation but make no mistake even without the Pixar buyout something would have been done to revamp the studio. It's too essential to the lifeblood of the company and even business centric people like Bob Iger are fully aware of that.

Indeed. Say what you want about the "dark period" of 2000-2006, but they tried new things. Plots involving familial or platonic love as opposed to romantic love, different genres, non-musicals, etc. In fact, WDAS appears to have learned lessons from those experiments and are trying again with better results.

From the article....
"When Lasseter and Catmull came aboard, they were encouraged to consider shuttering Disney Animation altogether and replacing it with the ascendant Pixar."
Disney Animation was in shambles, and good old Bob decided to simply buy Pixar to replace it. Lasseter saved DAS.

Honestly, how anyone with any kind of stake in enjoying Walt Disney's version of Disney could dislike John Lasseter is beyond my comprehension.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's too bad the documentary Sting and his wife made about the production of Emperor's New Groove will most likely never be released, as then we can see exactly HOW bad that structure was.

They had the rough cut of the film on Vimeo for awhile but, they took it down..

It was interesting how different the Kingdom of The Sun movie was going to be using a Prince & The Pauper style story and even Eartha Kitt's song with the rough animation looked amazing....If you get the original soundtrack all the songs from the Kingdom of the Sun are on it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom