Changing Maelstrom to Frozen-How would you do it???

Fox&Hound

Original Poster
Okay, I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding the rumor of EPCOT's Maelstrom becoming a frozen ride. Personally, I agree with the voices that want a Frozen attraction but don't feel that overlaying Maelstrom is the best fit (not enough space, Frozen deserves more, it changes the purpose of EPCOT). I get it. But what if Disney does to decide to go forward with the Maelstrom overlay by changing the ride to Frozen. How should they do it? What scenes from the movie would you include? What songs should the guests hear? What would you omit? Please do not respond by saying it should not happen. There's another thread for that. I posted this in imagineering so those who want to plan could do so here.

Personally, I watched a video of Maelstrom this morning to remind myself of the duration of the ride. Here were my thoughts if I were Disney: paint over that 70's mural and make it a frozen collage. I'd also add an AA Olaf similar to the one in Disneyland that could talk to the guests as they wait to board. For the ascent up the hill maybe have a snow effect. The first scene guests would encounter would be the "Do you want to build a snowman?" scene/song with young Anna and Elsa. Then, I'd have a voice over where Anna is hit by Elsa's power ("oh no!" "I didn't mean to"). As the boat rounds the corner I'd have the parents with the trolls and the head troll (name?) explaining how love cures. I'd keep the boat scene from the original ride (isn't there already a storm), then a reprise of "Do you want to build a snowman" (sad ending). Next I'd have grown Anna and Elsa at the coronation party and the reveal that Elsa has powers and that blast of her powers is what sends the boat back down the first hill (where the trolls in the original ride send you back). As your boat goes down the hill maybe have Anna say she's going after Elsa. Then in the original ride there is the brightly lit tree area and I'd make the a "Let it Go" room. Then have Kristoff, Olaf, and Anna AA's encounter Elsa (Also an AA or statue). Marshmallow send your boat down the 2nd hill. Where the boat ride ends now with the oil rig could be the big finale on the lake with Anna, Elsa, Hans, and Kristoff. Then the ride ends.

Not perfect by any means but those are my thoughts. Not quite sure how to add in more Hans or Kristoff given the amount of time? Or do you think Disney will opt not to tell the main story of the movie? I think fans will expect "Do you want to build a snowman?" and "Let it Go" at the very least. If they do a "Look for Olaf" ride that doesn't connect to the movie at all I think fans will be royally ed. I'm also not sure what to do with the outside of the ride.

All right. That's all I have. Thoughts? Your ideas for how Disney could do it?

MonorailRed

Applebees
Personally, I watched a video of Maelstrom this morning to remind myself of the duration of the ride. Here were my thoughts if I were Disney: paint over that 70's mural and make it a frozen collage. I'd also add an AA Olaf similar to the one in Disneyland that could talk to the guests as they wait to board. For the ascent up the hill maybe have a snow effect. The first scene guests would encounter would be the "Do you want to build a snowman?" scene/song with young Anna and Elsa. Then, I'd have a voice over where Anna is hit by Elsa's power ("oh no!" "I didn't mean to"). As the boat rounds the corner I'd have the parents with the trolls and the head troll (name?) explaining how love cures. I'd keep the boat scene from the original ride (isn't there already a storm), then a reprise of "Do you want to build a snowman" (sad ending). Next I'd have grown Anna and Elsa at the coronation party and the reveal that Elsa has powers and that blast of her powers is what sends the boat back down the first hill (where the trolls in the original ride send you back). As your boat goes down the hill maybe have Anna say she's going after Elsa. Then in the original ride there is the brightly lit tree area and I'd make the a "Let it Go" room. Then have Kristoff, Olaf, and Anna AA's encounter Elsa (Also an AA or statue). Marshmallow send your boat down the 2nd hill. Where the boat ride ends now with the oil rig could be the big finale on the lake with Anna, Elsa, Hans, and Kristoff. Then the ride ends.

Nice overlay with the space given! I really respect you for finding a way to make it work!

At first I was all for the Frozen to Malestorm ride idea. I thought "It can't be that hard to overlay it." But the more I got into it, the harder it becomes to have a nice, solid E-Ticket… (Even a D-ticket, a C-Ticket?:confused:) But I couldn't think of a good way without it looking… bad. So, again, awesome job!

But on top of the attraction itself, there's the tiny line… How in the world will that accommodate crowds? Imagine every little girl and family that comes to WDW… to see Anna and Elsa. So far, (Proven by Princess Fairytale Hall), that's a two hour wait. Add in the extra people who just want to ride the attraction and the FP+ people, it sounds like a disaster… It'd cause congestion within the Pavilion itself, with a Mega-line clogging it all up. And the only way to make a semi-interactive queue would be to use computer scenes for all the interactive activities… Which is bad… (Imagine Stoller Parking :eek:)

Even when the Frozen hype is over, between Frozen and Finding Nemo, I bet those will be the top 2 reasons kiddos will want to come to EPCOT (Not that they're aren't any other rides for kids there, but those are probably what will bring families with younger children there.)

Personally, I'd go with an entirely different route to get Frozen in the Area. I'd get rid of the Film and take a little space out go the Puffin's Roost Gift Shop. And put in a "attraction" similar to Storytime with Belle in NFL. That way, your killing two birds with one stone. Frozen Meet and Greet, and having to re-route Malestorm exit, giving it time to give the attraction an appropriate spruce-up. Two interactive Meet and Greets (Belle-like) could rotate to get guests out quick. On top of that, when the Frozen hype lowers, you could add in Princess Aurora in one of the two rotations, getting a different princess option. Another option would be show like The Royal Theatre at DLR replacing the theatre. Have Frozen, Aurora and other Norse Fairytales and Legends take place in one area. Nice spruce up, fit's into the Pavilion Perfectly.

I guess If I had to work with it… I'd have a Interactive-queue-wait-for-buzzer-space (Similar to dueling dumbos circus tent) to wait for the attraction somewhere else. That'd minimize the "line" a bit. I'd center the ride aroun Elsa, less around the other characters, shortening the story a bit. I'd get Rid of the Mural Entirely, put in a Mountain looking area where it plays the score to "Frozen Heart" from the movie. The lift would have several video screens, showcasing Elsa being warned about her powers as a child by the Trolls and "Do you want to build a Snowman?". Then, it'll show Elsa at the After Party, showing her Powers. then some video screens showing her running and building the ice castle. Then you hear Anna say something like "We have to find Elsa" in the background, where Marshmallow pops up (Where the 3 headed troll was), saying "Go Away!". Him and olaf have a little convo "Just talking about you, all good things". The boat heads backwards as Marshmallow says "Don't come back!" Olaf says "Hang in there guys!" to the guests. The trolls turn the boat back from falling over, singing Fixer Upper, and that true love conquers all, ect. The Drop happens, then, the last scene is changed to Elsa unfreezing Anna, and Arendale.

If the Frozen theme is used in a way to connect to Norway, I've got no problem with the overlay, provided it's not the only Frozen attraction we get. If the Frozen theme is used to do something that doesn't relate whatsoever to Norway, that's where I draw the line. Personally, I would make it somewhat tie into the movie without actually tying into the movie. It starts off when Elsa kicks Anna, Olaf and Kristoff out of the ice castle, and they need to get Anna back to Norway so that she can govern the city again/receive the true love's kiss. That's pretty much the movie tie-in. Along the way, Anna, Olaf and Kristoff see the spirit of Norway as they're going down the mountain getting chased by the Yeti (and unlike the one at Everest, this one would actually work). However, at the very end, they get caught by the Yeti (the big drop), and the Yeti pushes them down the mountain (the drop), but does it so hard that they're able to get to the heart of Norway.

In the end, I think everyone wins. The ride isn't turned into a Frozen ride, but rather, a ride with Frozen characters going through Norway, so the World Showcase purists win (it's the best case scenario if they're going to do this overlay). The kids win also, because you've got the Frozen characters in it, but not in a way that re-tells the same story from the movie. And, Disney is able to make Malestrom (new name (first one to come to the top of my head)- Arendale: The Spirit of Norway) a popular attraction in World Showcase. I'm not sure how the overlay of Malestrom could work by re-telling the story of Frozen, as not only is World Showcase not the best and appropriate place for a ride like that, but it loses the Norwegian feel of the pavilion), but if you just incorporate the characters into the story of Norway and tell a different story in the process, then it can work.

To add onto that, change the shop after the ride to Wandering Oaken's Trading Post (the name of the shop that Anna stumbles upon while trying to find the castle).

Last edited:
Not perfect by any means but those are my thoughts. Not quite sure how to add in more Hans or Kristoff given the amount of time? Or do you think Disney will opt not to tell the main story of the movie? I think fans will expect "Do you want to build a snowman?" and "Let it Go" at the very least. If they do a "Look for Olaf" ride that doesn't connect to the movie at all I think fans will be royally ed. I'm also not sure what to do with the outside of the ride.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. The most frustrating thing about that would be that Malestrom would become a more thrilling version of the ride in Mexico, which has become a "Look for Donald" ride.

DinoInstitute

For me, like others have said (not just in this thread), reverse the track. Just thats first off.

Second, The rock wall with waterfall is turned more into ice, not stone.

3rd, the entrance is on the complete other side, taking over some of the shop.

Ok, lets begin. The queue is in the newly extended area and the film room. Probably gonna need another extended area built, but thats ok. Now, we enter the ride in where is now backstage area. Then the first show scene is "Do you wanna build a snowman", where we currently exit. Then up the lift hill, in where the villiage is transforming to a kingdom of ice and snow, with some awesome effect. Then, it turns into a dark ride. Yup, as if you are now riding on ice.

...thats all I've seen of the movie so far:p, but the rest could just be show scenes, leading up until you go in the water again for the ending drop. Needs more, obviously, but what do you think of my basic idea?

wilkeliza

I think if they themed it as where you are following Kristoff and Sven it would make a lot of sense. Where the eye lights up have Kristoff say something about how the kingdom has been struck in snow and ice. Then in the the next scene it is the little store where Anna and Kristoff meet. There you get your charge from Anna to help her hurt for Elsa. In the Malestrom room you first come in contact with Elsa. She is furious and sends you on your out of control backwards journey. Along this corridor you come across Olaf. Finally the Back Back Over the Falls Troll is replaced with the Snow monster. He sends you over the edge of the cliff but you safely end up back at the bottom. You exit into town square.

Toonfan1

Remove the Malestrom Ride and extend the Showbuilding towards Mexico in the expansion pad between Mexico and Norway. Expanding the Showbuilding will give the Frozen Ride a Arendelle Castle themed Showbuilding that will contain a highly immersive quene with interactive elements and a Themed Loading/Unloading area. My idea for the Frozen Ride is a trackless dark ride that will immersive guests into the world of Frozen through 12 Show Scenes featuring State of Art Audio Animatronic Fiqures, Special Effects, Screens, Projectors, Audio Narrations by the Voice Actors of Frozen and a Musical Soundtrack featuring songs from Frozen. The ride will be a journey on a 6 Person Sleigh through iconic moments of Frozen that made Frozen the most successfully animated film of all time and the ride will feature Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf, Sven, Hans and Oaken. The Unloading area will be located in the current Malestrom Unloading Area and The Exit for the Frozen Ride will be in the former Film Theater/ Malestrom Quene area that will be turned into a Large Frozen Gift Shop for increased guest and merchandise capacity. The Main Entrance will be located Between Norway and Mexico in the expanded Arendelle Castle Showbuilding and a New Larger Meet'n'Greet Area for Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf will be located next to the Entrance of the Frozen Ride on the Westside of Arendelle Castle. Due to Norway being Expanded towards Mexico the West Wall of The Arendelle Castle Showbuilding facing Mexico will feature a Mayan Themed Rockwall with landscaping and Waterfall to make a thematic transition for Norway and Mexico.

Suspirian

[COUNTDOWN=08/06/2014 09:00]Wilderness Lodge[/COUNTDOWN]

It would make more sense to replace Avatar Land with Frozen Land.
personally i'd rather have a film about a planet thriving with life in DAK than a film that has only two types of animals in the entire film.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom