1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge: Use just one of these lenses for a day in the parks!

Discussion in 'Photography and Video' started by Mark P., Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mark P.

Mark P. Well-Known Member

After a half-dozen or so trips lugging around my D7100 and four or five lenses at a time, I (and my shoulders and back) want to pare down and also force myself to think creatively about how I view each park through the viewfinder.

If you could only shoot with one of the following lenses for a full day in each park, which would you bring? Bonus points if you have a different recommendation for each park -- I don't mind bringing them all with me, but would like to leave most of them in the room each day.
    1. 11-16mm f/2.8
    2. 30mm f/1.4
    3. 35mm f/1.8
    4. 24-70mm f/2.8
    5. 70-200mm f/2.8 (with 1.7x teleconverter)
    6. 8mm f/3.5 fisheye

2. drizgirl

drizgirl Well-Known Member

I'm boring. I'd take the 24-70 f/2.8.

3. fractal

fractal Premium Member

Once I used a 50mm 1.8 on a crop sensor for a day in MK. Ended up getting some of my favorite shots.

4. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

11-16 if I mainly shooting the environment.

24-70 if there are people involved.

KeithVH, donsullivan and drizgirl like this.
  5. gsrjedi

gsrjedi Well-Known Member

I'd say if you've gone fairly frequently and have taken a lot of photos during past trips then if you use Lightroom or something similar that can filter metadata, I'd look and see which lenses you've used the least at each park and use those if you're going to challenge yourself. For example, looking at my data I've used my 35 f/1.8 for about 24% of all my WDW photos. I've only used the 35 for 3% of my Animal Kingdom photos though. So I might use that lens for my next visit to AK.

fractal and drizgirl like this.
  6. Mark P.

Mark P. Well-Known Member Original Poster

Sounds about right. I'm trying to force myself to pick one or the other for a particular park day so that I don't get trigger-happy and be constantly swapping lenses while in line or along the sidewalk in an effort to try and capture *everything*.

Cool idea. AK is so rich with details that it's a challenge between capturing the breadth and depth of a place like the Harambe area versus the detailed signage and iconography in Asia.

7. thomas998

thomas998 Well-Known Member

30mm 1.4

Fisheyes are specialty lenses that you won't use often and will give you photos you look at even less often.

zoom is to constricting unless you are at animal kingdom and then its only good for a few places.

11-16 is too wide unless you are in the wide open spaces, would just give all your shots a false sense of perspective.

would be tempted by the 24-70.... but its not much better than a 30 and is slower so the 30mm wins... other options are about the same only slower.

8. fractal

fractal Premium Member

hence the challenge. Pick a lens with limitations to fuel some creative juices.

sporadic and Mark P. like this.