Celebrity Infinity Causes $2,000,000+ Dock Damages in Alaska

CAPTAIN HOOK

Whether a Pilot was at the helm or not, the Captain should have the authority to abort.
I was under the impression that once the Pilot comes aboard the vessel is totally in their control ??

Sounds like Disney will be seeking damages from the port authority / harbour master

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Original Poster
I was under the impression that once the Pilot comes aboard the vessel is totally in their control ??

Sounds like Disney will be seeking damages from the port authority / harbour master

It can vary from port to port. That is why I tagged the poster that I did in the first place. IIRC his knowledge on this matter would exceed mine. I won't see any of the pilots I know until Monday.

Do you mean Celebrity? :p

Tonka's Skipper

Good MORNING

1. The Master is always in command of his vessel except in the Panama and Suez canals. Except for those two places the Master is always in Command and is responsible for his vessel.

2, The MASTER can, but is not required to give the command of the vessel navigation and maneuvering to a pilot, but the Master is still in command. The Pilot is there to offer assistance to the Master and provide detailed expert knowledge of the local waters.

3.Involving a Marine casualty or accident the Master is always responsible of his vessel. The Pilot can also be held liable for his actions or mistakes, but the bottom line is still the Master.

Based on the tape. the wind was blowing right on the starboard bow(saiid to be gusting to 45 kts, not steady at 45 kts.

It looks like they came in and the bow slipped to close in and they could not bring the stern in fast enough because if they did the Infinity would have hit the Holland America vessel docked aft of them.

I am also looking at the wash from the bow thrusters and I cannot really tell all three are running, at one point it almostlooks like only one going. I cannot tell for sure, the wash at this angle just looks odd.

Guessing here but it is very possible that the they were holding the Infinite out as the previous cruise ship left and the wind was not so bad and as they approached the dock, the wind started gusting up.

The important part is no one was hurt.

AKK

Last edited:

Maelstrom Troll

We were in Ketchikan on June 11th and the port (#3) was still closed (I imagine it will be for a long time). They were tendering one of the boats that arrived after we did.

EOD K9

@Tonka's Skipper If the Master is not command, how does it work? This is a question from someone who doesn't know. And I would assume it is not being responsible for its sailing, but still responsible for the well being of the crew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom