Celebrities in the parks...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
If I saw someone I was a fan of just inches away of course I would be excited and might take sneaky photo of them but I would never approach them. There's only two out comes to such an event:
1. They either ignore you completely or they out right tell you to go away and repsect their privacy.
2. The awkward small chat and photo whilst they back away slowly with the painful looking fake smile on.
They get hassled by fans and paps every day, they tolerate it at planned functions but during their down time they really don't enjoy it.
That's R-E-S-P-E-C-T... from and for a celebrity.
2014ArethaFranklin_Getty467977795240314-1-900x576.jpg

I was walking through Epcot a little over a week ago, looked to my right, and realized I was walking right next to Ana Gasteyer. I was a huge fan of her generation of cast members on SNL. It didn't even cross my mind to say anything to her. She was there with her family enjoying her vacation, same as I was.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Seriously, the majority of well known people accept that they'll be stopped, asked for a photo, an autograph, be pointed at, be starred at and the like. It comes with the territory. Should they have private time? Probably. Can they get it? Not normally in public. And most take that as a price to pay for their chosen life. I work with a lot of celebrities as I think they're known as. Most take it in their stride and think it's a pleasant, if not unusual, occurance not to be stopped.

Although one turned the tables on me when he spotted me at Aquatica and shouted at me then chased me across the park. If you were a Brit and watch TV you'd think I was more famous than he was :D

tribbleorlfl

I collect autographs, so obviously have met tons of famous people over the years. Many of my signatures I've gotten at Disney.

As public figures, I generally consider celebrities "fair game" provided they're not with their families or doing something like sitting down for a meal or using the restroom. I appreciate my privacy in these situations, so I extend them the same respect and courtesy.

So, if you run into a celebrity in the parks, I generally don't see the harm in approaching them in most situations. They're used to it and realize fan interactions are just part of the deal. Just don't make a big scene, be polite and respect their right to decline.

matt clark

I was on the Phoenix ride with Nick Anderson of the orlando magic a long time ago. ( busch gardens) His bodyguard at the time sat next to me and Nick was on the outside of the row. Since we were locked in the ride i just bent forward and said I was a huge fan... that was that.. no picture or anything.

I saw doug martin of the Buccaneers at a beach bar in clearwater. I ate my food and when I was on the way out he was standing by the bar.
I walked up and shook his hand and said that i hoped he got healthy and out on the field soon ( he was injured at the time)

I saw Aqib Talib and Lagarette Blount in line for the ORIGINAL walking dead house at universal studios. I actually happened to be wearing my oregon ducks shirt strictly by coincidence so i could tell when blount was staring at me he sort of made this eye contact that he was on the spot.. i just nodded my head at me and he gave me that quick nod back... this was the fast pass line and i didnt want to create a scene. We ended up going in the house WITH them and the girls they were with. Once we got through the entire house i walked next to them both and told them both to have a great game sunday. ( this was friday night)

I see hulk holgan like constantly.. airport.. magic games.. bucs games...back when he owned the hogans beach resteraunt/ club. i just dont even care when i see him anymore.

PatInCT

Saw Cal Ripken in the bathroom at Rainforest Cafe years ago at Downtown Disney (he was still playing). Our waiter says he was in the house and pointed towards his table. I started to walk by that way on a pretend "I have to go to the bathroom trip" to see if I could catch a glimpse and didn't see him... until I got into the bathroom. Didn't say anything, he was helping his son in there... didn't seem like a good time for an autograph lol.

disneygeek90

I saw former MLB player Tino Martinez at Epcot a few months ago. I’m a big Yankee fan and walked into Raglan Road and sure enough found him spotted drinking a beer along the wall close by, just kinda hanging out. I waited for a time that he seemed to have free and struck up a small conversation. (He was a little drunk but super nice). Asked for a pic after a minute or two, and went on my way.

Monorail_Red_77

Last Nov-Dec, I found myself right smack behind Neil Patrick Harris while waiting to board the 7DMT. I was kind of shocked lol. I was close enough that I could have tapped him on the shoulder without reaching far lol!

I left him alone, he didn't look happy.

I think I saw Christian Bale on the same trip - but I stayed away - he was giving our group the stink eye (he may have noticed that we saw him) - IF it was him, that is, lol!

I leave celebs alone, but I did run into some fellow Disney vloggers and introduced myself - that was fun! Of the 3 Youtubers I met (vloggers), only 1 was put off that I said hello - the rest were more than happy to chat and they even allowed me to put them in my video! Totally fun :)
I saw Adam last Saturday at a Civil War Reenactment at Narcoossee Mill. I couldn't get close enough to say Hi though. Wasn't gonna yell across the bleachers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I was on the Phoenix ride with Nick Anderson of the orlando magic a long time ago. ( busch gardens) His bodyguard at the time sat next to me and Nick was on the outside of the row. Since we were locked in the ride i just bent forward and said I was a huge fan... that was that.. no picture or anything.

I saw doug martin of the Buccaneers at a beach bar in clearwater. I ate my food and when I was on the way out he was standing by the bar.
I walked up and shook his hand and said that i hoped he got healthy and out on the field soon ( he was injured at the time)

I saw Aqib Talib and Lagarette Blount in line for the ORIGINAL walking dead house at universal studios. I actually happened to be wearing my oregon ducks shirt strictly by coincidence so i could tell when blount was staring at me he sort of made this eye contact that he was on the spot.. i just nodded my head at me and he gave me that quick nod back... this was the fast pass line and i didnt want to create a scene. We ended up going in the house WITH them and the girls they were with. Once we got through the entire house i walked next to them both and told them both to have a great game sunday. ( this was friday night)

I see hulk holgan like constantly.. airport.. magic games.. bucs games...back when he owned the hogans beach resteraunt/ club. i just dont even care when i see him anymore.
I was in a bar in Denver back in '84 when John Elway and his front four came in. They walked over to our table and asked me and my three friends if we were done and ready to leave.

These guys were huge. H-U-G-E.

Naturally, we said yes, gave up our table, and went somewhere else for the rest of the night.

OliveMcFly

When you work in the park you see them and you HAVE to treat them like all other guests but to be honest it always made me nervous to give a spiel when one was in front of me. Even if I wasn't a fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom