Celebration Recognition Buttons

Raegansmommy

Original Poster
I always see people walking around wearing the different buttons with what they are celebrating while at Disney. My question is, are there any perks to wearing these buttons? I see they have a "First Visit" button. This trip is going to be my 5 year old's first visit, and really my 8 year old's (she was 2 1/2 last time we were there). This is also going to be their Christmas present. Do they make a Christmas Button? Reading online, I see that we just ask a cast member for the button?

Bacon

All the buttons have there own traits
Birthday=Free Dessert at dining (even some quick service)
First visit=Nothing
happily ever after=Nothing
celebrating=Nothing

Minnie Mum

I'm not aware of any holiday buttons. You can get the usual buttons at any resort front desk or Guest Relations. Really, the only thing one might consistently expect from wearing one is greetings from CMs, and verbal recognition of your celebration -happy birthday, happy anniversary, congrats on your (whatever). DH an I wore buttons celebrating our 25th, 30th, and 35th anniversaries. We had many, many congrats during the week. In the American pavilion we were pulled aside to receive a phone call from Mickey and Minnie. At a couple of our TS dinners we were given a complimentary dessert. But these are pixie dust, at the discretion of the CMs, and shouldn't be expected for every one. After all, there are thousands of buttons being worn every day. We plan on getting a first visit button for our DGS next month, and will also get a birthday button for him to wear on his actual birthday.

Cmdr_Crimson

I always see people walking around wearing the different buttons with what they are celebrating while at Disney. My question is, are there any perks to wearing these buttons? I see they have a "First Visit" button. This trip is going to be my 5 year old's first visit, and really my 8 year old's (she was 2 1/2 last time we were there). This is also going to be their Christmas present. Do they make a Christmas Button? Reading online, I see that we just ask a cast member for the button?

There is this site that makes Disney Celebratory Buttons you can purchase if that's what your looking for...
http://www.parkboundbuttons.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

The_Jobu

I've gotten "First Visit' and "We're Celebrating" buttons from City Hall before. It doesn't get you any special treatment like Birthday or Anniversary, but they're fun (and free!) souvenirs.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I had a celebration button when I was there in September, saying that I turned 40. It was nice to have CMs wishing me a Happy Birthday and telling me that I was lying about my age. :D One CM at Be Our Guest told me that they spelled 27 wrong. :hilarious::hilarious: I appreciated the attention. My waiter at Coral Reef had them add an extra touch by adding a candle and a chocolate "I'm Celebrating" to my dessert.

AndyS2992

I got a birthday button last year and got many happy birthdays from CMs, characters and other guests but got no free dessert or anything which was fine but having many characters from the parade say happy birthday was more an enough and made my day. I wore it on my birthday only, however the amount of people who abuse these birthday buttons is sickening. More than once I overheard people on the buses mostly telling others to abuse the buttons, like one time there was a kid wearing one and another guest said happy birthday to him and the mum said it wasn't actually his birthday and they just bring the buttons to get special treatment and different person in the family wears the button each day :mad:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
More than once I overheard people on the buses mostly telling others to abuse the buttons, like one time there was a kid wearing one and another guest said happy birthday to him and the mum said it wasn't actually his birthday and they just bring the buttons to get special treatment and different person in the family wears the button each day :mad:
And that's why we can't have nice things. And those same people will complain when the buttons go completely away, since Disney will eventually get tired of the cheating, or more likely, prohibit CMs from giving anything to a guest wearing one. Sad really.

JIMINYCR

And that's why we can't have nice things. And those same people will complain when the buttons go completely away, since Disney will eventually get tired of the cheating, or more likely, prohibit CMs from giving anything to a guest wearing one. Sad really.

Maybe Disney will design a new button..... I'm here, so give me something free. I expect it, I deserve it because I'm special.

th

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
During the old afternoon parade, I was standing at the curb as the float with Aurora and Prince Philip came by, wearing my birthday button. The CM playing Philip saw the button and bent over, wishing me a happy birthday. I was surprised and happy, especially since Aurora is my princess. Always thought the CMs on the floats during the parades, while waving at the crowd, basically saw a sea of faces. He made my day.

mousehockey37

During the old afternoon parade, I was standing at the curb as the float with Aurora and Prince Philip came by, wearing my birthday button. The CM playing Philip saw the button and bent over, wishing me a happy birthday. I was surprised and happy, especially since Aurora is my princess. Always thought the CMs on the floats during the parades, while waving at the crowd, basically saw a sea of faces. He made my day.

During one of the parades, the step sisters saw me taking pictures of them and they yelled out to me making sure I got their good sides, lol... as well as during the MSEP, Pete on Pete's Dragon saw my DGF's Phillies hat and was saying about how the P was for Pete! So they don't just have blinders on the whole time.

Danl522

Thank you for that. BTW, Merchandise locations are the official locations to get them, though Guest Relations certainly keep their own supply on hand. So any store or kiosk should have buttons.
A couple weeks ago at MK there was a cast member with a cart on MSUSA at rope drop. Several baskets full of buttons, and guests were just digging through and grabbing whatever buttons they wanted. Several walked away with handfuls of them. I saw so many people wearing them, it feels like the buttons have become just a way to make sure every single guest feels like a special snowflake.

Herdman

It will be my birthday during our trip in November. It will be fun to see what happens while I have the button on. Hard to make the happiest place on Earth even better, but we'll see I guess!

21stamps

Re: The Christmas Button.
It's probably a good bet that at least 75% of people at WDW during the Christmas season are there because they are also celebrating the holidays.

Re: 1st visit button.
My son was given one when we checked into the resort. I didn't know about them, they just gave us a coloring book and the button and welcomed him to his first visit.
He only wore the button from the lobby to a walk around the resort, and then took it off when we arrived in the room...didn't wear it again. The "first visit" thing is attached to your magic band apparently though. Every time that we went in a fast pass line the CM would say "Hi (kid's name)! How are you enjoying your first visit?"
My son got a kick out of it and kept asking "How do they know?!" He thought the magic band was extra cool after I told him.

I would assume that the same would apply for a kid's birthday, although your son may like to wear it on his actual birthday. That would be cute.

Have fun!

Last edited:

James Norrie

I was impressed on our trip in August. I had never been to WDW during a "celebration" before, and this trip happened to be a 1st anniversary and 2 Birthdays (Mine and DW's). The amount of Cast Members that actually pay attention is astounding, from the front line desk people at the resorts all the way down to the Maintenance and Grounds Keepers, everybody made sure to Wish a Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary. It was great! I didn't need a free dessert (if you can tell by my profile pic I suffer from 'rotund abdominal syndrome'), it was just nice to have people say nice things!

Berret

In the Parks
No
When we last went to Disney in June of 2014, my new wife, stepson, and I were celebrating our "familymoon." My wife and I received Happily Ever After pins, and my stepson, who was just about to celebrate his birthday, got a Happy Birthday one. While it didn't garner us anything physical, which we weren't expecting, every cast member who saw us told us, "Happy Anniversary!" and "Happy Birthday!" and that tended to bring up some conversations sometimes. It was a nice touch. I think my stepson got a little tired of hearing it all the time, but it was still cool to be recognized like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom