Celebration, FL

knights87

Original Poster
I was thinking about moving to Celebration and have been doing some research, but am still on the fence about it. Just wondering if anyone here has lived there and what it is like, what are some of the Pros/Cons, and would you recommend living there? Thanks

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The biggest con in my eyes about Celebration would be the incredibly strict covenants and restrictions imposed by the homeowners association. Read it several times before you buy and make sure that you can live with it because it is not changing. If you like what you read Celebration can be heaven on earth but on the flip side if you do not like an outside organization dictating virtually every detail about the exterior of your home to you it could be a living nightmare.

fillerup

I've been here for five years and love it. Not the least of reasons is being 10 minutes from Disney and being able to hear Illuminations from my back yard.

Yes, the covenants are very restrictive and you need to know what they are and if you're okay with why they're in place and if you can live with them. I do in fact think some of them are over the top. But they accomplish their goals - and that's to assure you don't wind up living next to a dump.

An example: Winter Park, FL - a very affluent (more so than Celebration in fact) bedroom community north of Orlando - one of the prettiest places you can find. But even here, you can go two blocks from a 2 million dollar home and find a 50 year old tear down that's as unsightly as it gets.

On balance, the silly Stepford comparisons aside, Celebration is like any other place. Good neighbors and bad, good kids and bad, schools that need to be better, foreclosures like anywhere else, businesses that thrive and businesses that fail. Occasional property crimes but not as bad as the surrounding area.

There's plenty in the way of rentals here - everything from modest (and sometimes crappy) conversion condos to estate homes. I'd recommend the rental route for a year or two to see if this lifestyle is for you.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them as I'm a proud resident, and will be bluntly honest with facts and opinions.

Iknewagirlnamed

There's plenty in the way of rentals here - everything from modest (and sometimes crappy) conversion condos to estate homes. I'd recommend the rental route for a year or two to see if this lifestyle is for you.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them as I'm a proud resident, and will be bluntly honest with facts and opinions.
You can rent in Celebration? I didn't know that! I thought they were homes only. Do you possibly have an links to info/apartment complexes that are currently renting? What are the prices for say a 1 or two bedroom apartment/condo? Thanks! :0)

fillerup

You can rent in Celebration? I didn't know that! I thought they were homes only. Do you possibly have an links to info/apartment complexes that are currently renting? What are the prices for say a 1 or two bedroom apartment/condo? Thanks! :0)

There were originally quite a few apartments in Cel, but they were all converted to condos during the bubble. But there are plenty of absentee or investor owners that have properties to rent.

Garage apartments, mostly occupied by cast members go from 800 to 1200, which includes utilities.

One to two bed condos go from 1100 to 1600.

You might have a look at the real estate section here to get ideas. Not real current, but it'll give you a clue.

http://www.34747forum.com/

Also, one of the most active rental companies is:

http://www.golfparkproperties.com/golfpark-rentals.html

And golfpark usually has a larger inventory than their website reflects.

Best of luck

Iknewagirlnamed

There were originally quite a few apartments in Cel, but they were all converted to condos during the bubble. But there are plenty of absentee or investor owners that have properties to rent.

Garage apartments, mostly occupied by cast members go from 800 to 1200, which includes utilities.

One to two bed condos go from 1100 to 1600.

You might have a look at the real estate section here to get ideas. Not real current, but it'll give you a clue.

http://www.34747forum.com/

Also, one of the most active rental companies is:

http://www.golfparkproperties.com/golfpark-rentals.html

And golfpark usually has a larger inventory than their website reflects.

Best of luck
Thank you so mch for the info!! BTW, what is/was "the bubble" ?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you so mch for the info!! BTW, what is/was "the bubble" ?
I would assume it was the housing bubble. A couple of years ago it was cheaper to buy a house or condo then it was to rent an apartment. During that time many apartments converted to condos. When the bubble burst a couple of years ago many of these investors were stuck with entire complexes of condos that they could not sell. Since then many have started renting them out.

Fashionista007

Wow I just looked through those listings and they're actually pretty cheap! I wish I could move down there but my family would kill me :( I work from home too so I could actually do it since I can work from anywhere. Those prices are cheaper than what I'm paying now for a "luxury" apt in Baltimore.

knights87

Original Poster
Just checked out some of the listings and the prices are not bad at all. The place I am living at now has some pretty strict rules so that should not be a problem, besides I think it is kind of good to have some rules to help keep the place looking nice. Overall it seems like a great place to live and would not mind calling it home :). Thanks Fillerup for your help and links, helped make my decision about moving up there a lot easier.

MaxsDad

In my line of work, the folks that I talk to that move here from Florida always say that the property taxes and Homeowners insurance costs are very high. I hear of Home ins. costs of over 2 grand a year.

This may vary by county, but how is it around Celebration?

fillerup

Let me offer some cautionary advice to anyone looking at renting from a private owner as opposed to an apartment building - and this goes for any location, not just Celebration.

We're in the middle of the popping of the real estate bubble and we haven't bottomed just yet. But then, all of you know that.

Make absolutely sure, as best you can, that you're not renting from someone that's headed for foreclosure. Lenders have no obligation to honor a lease. I've heard stories of renters finding themselves locked out of their home with no notice whatsoever (rare, but it can happen).

Many owners who have the financial staying power are investors who were looking to make a quick buck, and they're now just weathering the downturn and waiting for better times.

Try to get some sort of long term commitment if you can. Nothing would be worse than making a big move, falling in love with your home, and then a year later finding that it's back on the market or your lessor wants to jack the rent by 20 or 30%.

And in Celebration at least, I'd recommend staying away from apartment to condo conversions.

fillerup

In my line of work, the folks that I talk to that move here from Florida always say that the property taxes and Homeowners insurance costs are very high. I hear of Home ins. costs of over 2 grand a year.

This may vary by county, but how is it around Celebration?

The folks you talk to are telling you the truth. Taxes and insurance are high but that's offset by whatever factor by the absence of a state income tax.

Since the topic is renting, renters insurance will be in the range of a few hundred dollars. It varies greatly of course, based on variables such as whether the property is alarmed or sprinkled. And the person's credit score of course.

Fairly or not, those of us living inland are largely subsidizing people living on the coast as far as insurance goes.

Taxes are pretty high. On a property appraised at say $400k, expect to pay around 6 grand.

MaxsDad

Fairly or not, those of us living inland are largely subsidizing people living on the coast as far as insurance goes.

Same thing here in SC regarding non coastal supplementing coastal.

Didn't know that about the state income tax, though.

Bug715

Can anyone give me information on Senia at Celebration? I've decided to make the move earlier than planned and my friend needs to find a new place since her landlord's son is moving back and is looking at a 3 bedroom in there so there would be a room for me.

I looked at their website but would like a few different pictures to get an idea of the layout. Thanks

mom2of2

Can anyone give me information on Senia at Celebration? I've decided to make the move earlier than planned and my friend needs to find a new place since her landlord's son is moving back and is looking at a 3 bedroom in there so there would be a room for me.

I looked at their website but would like a few different pictures to get an idea of the layout. Thanks

I have a 3/2 with a 2 car garage in Siena. I really like the layout with the exception of no downstairs bath. I don't know where there are floor plans online but I can tell you that there are a lot of rentals available here. The office is of no help but if you contact a local realtor they can show you a bunch of different ones.

Bug715

I have a 3/2 with a 2 car garage in Siena. I really like the layout with the exception of no downstairs bath. I don't know where there are floor plans online but I can tell you that there are a lot of rentals available here. The office is of no help but if you contact a local realtor they can show you a bunch of different ones.

I saw the floor plans but was sorta wanting pictures of the apartments not all done up by the builders. My friend is the one looking for it since I'm in KY so I won't be able to see it until october when I'll be down next.

mom2of2

You do know that they are townhome conversions and not apartments that you can rent from the office right? They are privately owned so the only way you will get pictures is either through an owner or a realtor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom