Castle Ramp Smoking Section Eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section106

Folks - we really need to focus on the biggest air quality issue in the MK. Far worse than any smoking area - a terrible source of carcinogenic fumes the spreads over large parts of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I give you - The Tomorrowland Speedway.

WDW should really get Elon Musk on the phone and turn that into the electric car of the future ride.

StarWarsGirl

I know what it is. @betty rose wrote that even though she has asthma and is affected by smokers in WDW she will defend their right to smoke because she was a Girl Scout and is prepared with her inhaler, or some such nonsense. She is agreeing with and defending those that would do her harm. Stockholm Syndrome all day long.
You know, that is really insulting. Stockholm syndrome is a serious psychological condition. You are suggesting another member here has it. I hope you realize how hurtful that can be. You do realize that she's 66 years old, and therefore when she was young, smoking was just something that was done socially, right? It was common. No, it is not a psychological disorder.

Second, she was not saying that she's okay with smoking. She said she is okay with smoking being relegated to the designated areas and if she happens to catch a whiff because she was not vigilant enough, she's ready with her inhaler. If someone wore too much perfume, it's what I would do. If I wasn't careful and walked into a perfume shop, it's what I would do. How is that unreasonable?

photomatt

OK, so after 15 pages of posts, people against my non-smoking argument pounce on the fact that I posted two links from 2004. This is not surprising, because they have no cogent arguments against the idea that smoking should be banned at Disney theme parks.

The speedway argument is a red-herring and it's BS. The person who posted it already knew this. It was nothing more than a troll post, and I should have known better than to respond to it.

That being said, here is a more recent article -
http://www.biotecharticles.com/Toxi...garette-Smoke-and-Automobile-Exhaust-698.html

Can I prove all of the statements made in that article are correct? No, I can't. It is worth noting that the article states, "To summarize, both CS (cigarette smoke) and AE (auto exhaust) increase the chances of developing Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, CS is 10 times more potent air pollutant than AE, CS is 50 times more responsible for heart disease and lung cancer and the risk of illness and death resulting from CS is more than AE.

Does this one article definitively prove anything? No, but it doesn't need to because bringing up the speedway exhaust is nothing more than a distraction.

I have also seen outdated articles claiming that auto exhaust is just as bad as cigarette smoke, so there is no way to settle this debate using articles I can find on Google.

betty rose

I know what it is. @betty rose wrote that even though she has asthma and is affected by smokers in WDW she will defend their right to smoke because she was a Girl Scout and is prepared with her inhaler, or some such nonsense. She is agreeing with and defending those that would do her harm. Stockholm Syndrome all day long.
I was a Girl Scout actually....and I've never been to Stockholm:D

betty rose

You know, that is really insulting. Stockholm syndrome is a serious psychological condition. You are suggesting another member here has it. I hope you realize how hurtful that can be. You do realize that she's 66 years old, and therefore when she was young, smoking was just something that was done socially, right? It was common. No, it is not a psychological disorder.

Second, she was not saying that she's okay with smoking. She said she is okay with smoking being relegated to the designated areas and if she happens to catch a whiff because she was not vigilant enough, she's ready with her inhaler. If someone wore too much perfume, it's what I would do. If I wasn't careful and walked into a perfume shop, it's what I would do. How is that unreasonable?
Once again you came to my defense, and I thank you very much. You have a kind heart, and I appreciate that.

PhotoDave219

No, you're just being a ..... (Forbidden Word).

photomatt

EH, my back's acting up. I'm not going to bend down.....

You are implying that this debate is somehow beneath you, yet you took the time to show your true character by calling someone else a name. You contribute nothing to this discussion, as usual. You can make all the attempts you want to try to be witty, but you will still remain nothing more than a troll. It's OK, though. I have read enough of your posts, and this does not surprise me.

George Lucas on a Bench

I haven't read the last 16 pages but let me guess...

It began with some sane, logical points by both smokers and non-smokers. These sane, logical people agreed that smoking should be allowed in designated areas of the parks, but that this smoking section was poorly placed. I mean, come on, you've got a massive theme park here with plenty of unused space and attractions that would be better suited as smoking sections, and you put a smoking section right next to the Castle on a heavily-trafficked pathway. Then, insane, illogical people believing they are morally superior demand that smoking be completely banned from WDW and that smokers be treated like vermin. Then, the sane, logical people point out that banning smoking from WDW would clearly alienate many of its customers and, despite the fact that they demolished Horizons into a little cube and replaced Alien Encounter with Lilo and Stitch, Disney would still never be that stupid. By having smoking sections, they're providing paying customers a place to light up, and also isolating the smoking (admittedly not well enough in some cases, such as this former smoking section) for the comfort of others. Then, the insane, illogical morally superior people demand all smokers be murdered. I then show up in the thread. Sound about right?

PhotoDave219

You are implying that this debate is somehow beneath you, yet you took the time to show your true character by calling someone else a name. You contribute nothing to this discussion, as usual. You can make all the attempts you want to try to be witty, but you will still remain nothing more than a troll. It's OK, though. I have read enough of your posts, and I expect nothing less from you.

That's funny.

Since you've read all 18000+ posts and you know all about my character, then you should clearly You Know.

Also, why are you defending a poster that berated a 66-year-old woman? If I'm a troll for sticking up for a 66-year-old woman, then call me a troll all day.

Last edited:

SoupBone

That placement for a smoking section was an absolutely horrible one, and I'm very happy to see it go. However, I cannot for the life of me understand eliminating smoking sections altogether. Families travel to Disney, with many members that smoke. Removing those sections leads to extremely irritable people, ultimately lessening the overall experience of all the family members on that trip. Ever been around a smoker that hasn't had one in a few hours? It's not pleasant.

Disney is the reigning KING of creating creative queues to stand in for their rides, they can easily create smoking areas that are shielded from public view, and with no wafting smells or other disgusting elements of the habit.

And what are they creating by not doing that? People are going to light up in areas that are not designated areas, forcing it into our faces more than before. Overall, the idea that this will stop people from smoking is ignorant on the parts of those decision makers that believe eliminating these areas, rather than moving them to cleverly concealed areas, is a smart one. Bad move, Disney.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I haven't read the last 16 pages but let me guess...

It began with some sane, logical points by both smokers and non-smokers. These sane, logical people agreed that smoking should be allowed in designated areas of the parks, but that this smoking section was poorly placed. I mean, come on, you've got a massive theme park here with plenty of unused space and attractions that would be better suited as smoking sections, and you put a smoking section right next to the Castle on a heavily-trafficked pathway. Then, insane, illogical people believing they are morally superior demand that smoking be completely banned from WDW and that smokers be treated like vermin. Then, the sane, logical people point out that banning smoking from WDW would clearly alienate many of its customers and, despite the fact that they demolished Horizons into a little cube and replaced Alien Encounter with Lilo and Stitch, Disney would still never be that stupid. By having smoking sections, they're providing paying customers a place to light up, and also isolating the smoking (admittedly not well enough in some cases, such as this former smoking section) for the comfort of others. Then, the insane, illogical morally superior people demand all smokers be murdered. I then show up in the thread. Sound about right?
Bingo. Nailed it.
Can we lock the thread now? Please?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Again, no one has the legal right to smoke in public..

Actually they do..... because it's not illegal.

Just stay clear of smoking areas.

Areas that should be positioned away of the main guest flow though. Theres been some corkers in the past. The ramp in question. Outside the restrooms below Spaceship Earth East. Really daft places.

Smoking is still huge in East and western Europe, indeed far eastern cultures have smoking ingrained in their culture. Fact. WDW attracts people from all over. The addiction should be dealt with realistically and properly. Areas where it is permissible, clearly marked and accepted are a must.

Or you can't complain when someone lights up in the middle of Main Street.

kdzgon

While I really don't have a problem with them having smoking areas, this one spot really bugged me so I'm glad its gone.
I agree, although I have never understood the spot across from the Dole Whips stand alongside The treehouse either. Wish they would move that one!

dreamfinder912

Isn't disney technically private property? wouldn't they then be allowed to decide which legal substances they can control (they already ban alcohol at MK aside from Be Our Guest).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom