Castle Ramp Smoking Section Eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weather_Lady

This was the only smoking area about which I was even aware (meaning, we've inadvertently come upon it and had to pass through it -- my asthmatic DH ran through it like a gauntlet, holding his breath). ;) I'm all for designated smoking areas for those who require them, but I'm glad that the remaining ones don't appear to be in the middle of walkways, as the "Castle" one was.

Section106

@betty rose just godwined the thread so @photomatt wins. Congratulations @photomatt.

And smoking is not a right. You people are crazy if you think that. It is a privilege. A highly regulated and expensive one but a privilege non the less. And if that privilege infringes on my right to enjoy the air free of your cigarette smoke then you get to put out your cigarette.

draybook

Clearly, your opinion is not that of the majority on this board, nor is it Disney's opinion.

Pretty much everyone here has said, "Yes, smoking is bad for your health, but no, smoking areas cannot go away just yet" and proposed logical reasons as to why not, as well as discussed some alternative solutions to the current smoking areas.

Your entire argument is, "I don't want to breath in smoke, it's bad for me, so I shouldn't have to" without providing a logical explanation other than that it's best for you. Even those of us who have conditions like asthma that make breathing in smoke immediately harmful for us are not saying that smoking areas should be entirely eliminated. You don't try to compromise. You don't listen to others. You just continuously argue that you are right and that those who don't agree with you are wrong. And you're also insinuating that smokers are bad people, which is becoming offensive to quite a few members.

I, as well as my son, have asthma. If it were up to me, smoking would only be possible in contained rooms/buildings or off-property. Yeah, I used to smoke. I even smoked when I was in the service. I even got my hind end chewed by my CO because I was having issues with our company runs(they didn't know I was asthmatic). So, it's not like I'm a biased non-smoker. I just don't see how people can't just suck it up and do without a puff for a vacation. Personally, I'd like to see some enclosed buildings built for smokers. They had them at most of my previous jobs. It was convenient for the smokers and for those of us who didn't smoke.

betty rose

@betty rose just godwined the thread so @photomatt wins. Congratulations @photomatt.

And smoking is not a right. You people are crazy if you think that. It is a privilege. A highly regulated and expensive one but a privilege non the less. And if that privilege infringes on my right to enjoy the air free of your cigarette smoke then you get to put out your cigarette.
Forgive my ignorance, (I'm not being snippy), what does that mean? I really don't know what you are saying...please explain, if I've gotten something wrong, I will admit it...and apologize. Please respond.

Section106

Forgive my ignorance, (I'm not being snippy), what does that mean? I really don't know what you are saying...please explain, if I've gotten something wrong, I will admit it...and apologize. Please respond.

Godwin's Law sates that the longer a thread goes the more likely someone will bring up Hitler and will therefore forfeit the argument. You brought up Hitler therefore you lose. Welcome to the internets...

betty rose

I, as well as my son, have asthma. If it were up to me, smoking would only be possible in contained rooms/buildings or off-property. Yeah, I used to smoke. I even smoked when I was in the service. I even got my hind end chewed by my CO because I was having issues with our company runs(they didn't know I was asthmatic). So, it's not like I'm a biased non-smoker. I just don't see how people can't just suck it up and do without a puff for a vacation. Personally, I'd like to see some enclosed buildings built for smokers. They had them at most of my previous jobs. It was convenient for the smokers and for those of us who didn't smoke.
I agree with some smoking lounges, with drinks (double whammy, here) and snacks . Let people , choose what is still legal , and enjoy themselves, without the judgmental eyes of those opposed to smoking. I can't believe I'm defending this, as I don't smoke, but I will defend a person's right to do what is still legal in our country. Now, I've obviously said enough, we have the right to disagree with each other. No animosity, intended. As I said earlier, I was very unkind, to Tigger..and for that I apologized. Whether she accepts it or not is up to her.

betty rose

Godwin's Law sates that the longer a thread goes the more likely someone will bring up Hitler and will therefore forfeit the argument. You brought up Hitler therefore you lose. Welcome to the internets...
Thanks for responding, I frankly never heard of Godwin's law. :confused: Please, no hate intended. Thanks for listening.

Section106

Thanks for responding, I frankly never heard of Godwin's law. :confused: Please, no hate intended. Thanks for listening.

Why would I think there was any hate intended?

Seriously, Betty, posting that you're okay with smokers triggering an asthma attack because you plan ahead by bringing your inhaler is some serious Stockholm Syndrome ish. It is not okay for someone to cause you to have a health crisis, however small, because they are doing something "legal". If someone wants to dump carbon monoxide, tar, formaldehyde, and countless other toxins into their lungs then fine. But they do not have the right to do it to you. You are deserving of a clean and healthy environment. Why would you willingly accept less that what you deserve just because some selfish jackass wants to slowly kill himself in front the nice people at WDW? I ask because I care.

betty rose

I forgot, I getting an education on these boards, and at my age that's a good thing. Now , if I can just remember, to not be so abrasive....:)

StarWarsGirl

Some people are so addicted that they can't go without smoking for an entire trip. They'll have such horrible withdrawal symptoms that it becomes impossible for them to go for the duration of their trip without smoking without them being completely miserable. I know it was easier for you to quit (and congratulations btw), but that doesn't mean it will be just as easy for everyone.

Believe me, I would love it if WDW were 100% smoke free. I've got severe asthma and my mother also has asthma. It would be so nice for us if it were smoke free. But people are going to smoke. And Disney is most likely not going to build smoking buildings. Smoking areas are the best compromise for now. I can avoid them. Smoking areas, for now, cannot go away. People already choose to ignore designated smoking areas. Can you imagine how bad the problem would become if smoking areas were eliminated?

Maybe in 20 years WDW can become smoke free. For now, I can't see it happening. And I am glad to see the castle ramp area gone.

betty rose

Seriously, Betty, posting that you're okay with smokers triggering an asthma attack because you plan ahead by bringing your inhaler is some serious Stockholm Syndrome ish. It is not okay for someone to cause you to have a health crisis, however small, because they are doing something "legal". If someone wants to dump carbon monoxide, tar, formaldehyde, and countless other toxins into their lungs then fine. But they do not have the right to do it to you. You are deserving of a clean and healthy environment. Why would you willingly accept less that what you deserve just because some selfish jackass wants to slowly kill himself in front the nice people at WDW? I ask because I care.
Thank you for caring. Vote for those who support no smoking, and I'll defend the new laws. For, me it wasn't about smoking, but defending the law that allows smoking. Disney made their rules, perhaps a letter to Robert Iger, as to your concerns, might help your views. I will abide by the rules, and if they change, I'll abide by them. Again, I'm not trying to be unkind to you, or anyone else that has a different opinion. t

betty rose

I don't know why I'm posting on this, as I don't smoke. I will defend the right to smoke in Disney's smoking areas. That's all I was trying to do. I hold no animosity against anyone who has the right to disagree. When rules, or laws change, I'll defend those too. But, as my father was a long time smoker, and it was accepted , when I was growing up, it's hard for me to understand , why people can't see the other side. Maybe seeing him smoke , and enjoying it, I didn't get the feeling it is wrong or harmful, different time. Thanks for listening.

photomatt

Some people are so addicted that they can't go without smoking for an entire trip. They'll have such horrible withdrawal symptoms that it becomes impossible for them to go for the duration of their trip without smoking without them being completely miserable.

I understand this. I sympathize with them, despite what others might think based on my previous posts; however, it is the responsibility of smokers to control their addiction. It is not the responsibility of non-smokers to make adjustments to them.

I understand how difficult it is, but it is up to them to control it. If they can't control their addiction to a point where they can avoid smoking while in the park, then they should not go.

No one wants to consider this, but a complete smoking ban at Disney might actually motivate smokers to quit. They would have to choose between going to Disney or smoking, and to some people that would be a strong motivation to quit.

Smoking areas, for now, cannot go away. People already choose to ignore designated smoking areas. Can you imagine how bad the problem would become if smoking areas were eliminated?

I do understand this argument, but it's not as strong as it might seem. The argument that smoking areas can not go away because smokers will smoke anyway is like saying we can't have laws because the laws will be broken. I know that if Disney eliminated smoking there would be a few people who would break the rules. The solution is to deal with these people and remove them from the park.

hellspawn

First post. Long time reader. I had to sign up and respond. I am a long time smoker and yes I do smoke in all designated areas. How dare anyone tell me I can't smoke in a designated area and that it affects them.. . I pay just as much for a vacation as all other people do. How about we talk the silent killer.. obesity. I see far more obese people than smokers. Ask yourself which is really more unhealthy. Beat me up on this comment but its true. Until they make smoking illegal or ban it from the parks. I will continue to smoke in designated areas.

Tigger1988

First post. Long time reader. I had to sign up and respond. I am a long time smoker and yes I do smoke in all designated areas. How dare anyone tell me I can't smoke in a designated area and that it affects them.. . I pay just as much for a vacation as all other people do. How about we talk the silent killer.. obesity. I see far more obese people than smokers. Ask yourself which is really more unhealthy. Beat me up on this comment but its true. Until they make smoking illegal or ban it from the parks. I will continue to smoke in designated areas.
An obese person only hurts themselves, one can't get "secondhand obesity". Lame comparison.

photomatt

How dare anyone tell me I can't smoke in a designated area and that it affects them.

No one is saying you can't smoke in a designated area. What I'm saying is that the designated smoking areas should not exist.

This is great! My little girl missed out on meeting Merida last year as the line was so long it extended into that smoking area. And she loves Merida but we couldn't handle the smoke.

Maybe you should ask this person's daughter how the smoke from a designated smoking area affected her.

The problem is that the smoke does not stay in the designated smoking area. It moves and it affects others who also paid to be in the park. Why should your habit be allowed to cause a little girl to not be able to meet a princess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom