Cast members rules evolving over time

mergatroid

Original Poster
I have now decided to work only at companies that respect my freedom to alter my appearance to my own choosing. I understand Disney's policy on tattoos, but sometimes I feel like it's taken a little too far. I think they should allow maybe smaller tattoos (the size of a half-dollar at most) to be shown as long as they are work-appropriate. I think that in this day and age body modification is becoming WAY more prevalent and employers need to learn to adjust to the changing time or they are going to have slim-pickings of the 100% clean imaged people.

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

I can see where you're coming from with that and as much as I dislike tattoos period, I think 'sleeves' are far uglier than say a small individual tattoo like you describe. However I think that could open up a can of worms as those who choose to alter their appearance with large tattoos would say why is somebody saying that small tattoos are fine but large ones aren't. I'm sure Disney could legally make this rule but it would be hard to justify without seeming even more judgmental than just banning them altogether.

Just my opinion though which really counts for very little in the big scheme of things.

mergatroid

Original Poster
My only problem with the relaxed Disney look rules (and most importantly casual Friday for non-guest facing office workers) is that they took effect the day after I left my job there. :(

Having worn a few of the costumes, I can attest that some are better than others. The worst I ever wore was a dress from Hall of Presidents (I think. It was somewhere in Liberty Square). That was miserably hot, even at night. If you ever see female CMs with their hands in their pockets kind of flicking their skirts out, it's an attempt to get a little breeze underneath. I'd always seen people doing it when I was out in the parks, but I never truly appreciated why until I stood outside in one of those dresses for a few hours.

Hi there and thanks for your input. A question you may be able to answer me as an ex cm is this. It seems nowadays that a lot of young ladies are dying their hair a multitude of unnatural colours (English spelling sorry) and some of them look quite nice. Do Disney have colour (we invented the word, so I'm spelling it like this :)) rules for hair or not?

daringstoic

Hi there and thanks for your input. A question you may be able to answer me as an ex cm is this. It seems nowadays that a lot of young ladies are dying their hair a multitude of unnatural colours (English spelling sorry) and some of them look quite nice. Do Disney have colour (we invented the word, so I'm spelling it like this :)) rules for hair or not?
I left the company in 2012 , so I'm not exactly up to date (and it was before the ombre hair trend got big), but I don't think the hair color rules have changed. You could dye your hair, but it had to be a natural color and you had to keep your roots touched up fairly regularly. You couldn't have highlights either. Some of the enforcement varied by location and manager (ie. where is the line between natural redhead red color and fake red?) and I did hear occasional complaints that hair that was naturally bleached by the sun add a direct result of standing outside for work got called out for being different colors. I also used to work check-ins for College Program interns and despite sending notices months before arrival, there were always a few who got sent to hair salons to make dye jobs fit Disney Look.

BiffyClyro

I worked there when the Beard Rule came into effect and one very rude female manager was off that day. But the next day she came back and tried to send men home for "growing their beard on the clock." So these men got together and came up with a couple of different solutions. #1 Tell her that their beard doesn't grow while working, only while sleeping ;) and #2 they would wear a dust mask while they are at work since it was required anyway in some areas where they worked, thus covering their goatee (this being in a non-guest area).

:D
I understand that the time comes when people have to be and act like a boss, but I don't understand people who intentionally set out to be petty and make people miserable. Good on you and your co workers for sticking together and fining a solution.

SeanWM48

as a CM you're somewhat part of the whole 'show business' aspect of Disney. if they want you to maintain a certain appearance i can't blame them really.

and look, i have a nice big tattoo on my arm and even i will admit that perception is reality and i usually keep it covered at work. they're great and fun but, especially when working for a place like Disney, you have to accept that people just feel a certain way about them and it's best for business to cover it up while on the clock.

Huglife

I have several tattoos, including some on my feet and legs, and I work a very professional job. Tattoos are permitted below the neck in my company but I still always cover them, including wearing black tights in the summer in Louisiana, to maintain integrity. Some people just have preconceived notions about people with tattoos, and while I disagree with this line of thought, I can see why a company would make the decision that they need to be covered. Especially a company like Disney who deals with people from all walks of life. Also, I will not hate myself when I'm older. That's a ridiculous thing to say. o_O

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
And an even bigger difference between stockings and pantyhose. Girls know what I'm talking about.

I doubt any cast members are wearing stockings.

Yeah, thanks, I know..... worn both... including the very first version of pantyhose.....

Which are even worse in Florida's humidity.

Cowboy Steve

Coming from the uk we're used to much cooler weather than in Orlando and as such nearly always wear just shorts and t-shirts at the parks. I get extremely hot and bothered and it always astounds me how cm's in any costume whatsoever always look fairly cool temperature wise. I look like a frazzled noodle in shorts and a t-shirt and some guy outside the TOT is dressed as a bell hop with multiple layers looking as cool as a cucumber :eek:
To be honest it is whatever you are acclimated to. Back in the day, when I was still a career fire fighter, there were days we would be fighting fires or work an accident scene in 90F (33C) with 90% humidity weather in full turnout gear and an airpack (think insulated coveralls and jacket while carrying a vaccum cleaner on your back). It was taxing, but we were conditioned to handle it. It was awesome when the outside temp was 10F (-12C) lol! :D Now days, I can still adjust to different temps - it just takes a little longer. And my beat up old body adjusts to the heat much easier than the cold! I HATE the cold now! I'm thinking I need to move to the desert Southwest sometime soon... lol

Goofyernmost

To be honest it is whatever you are acclimated to. Back in the day, when I was still a career fire fighter, there were days we would be fighting fires or work an accident scene in 90F (33C) with 90% humidity weather in full turnout gear and an airpack (think insulated coveralls and jacket while carrying a vaccum cleaner on your back). It was taxing, but we were conditioned to handle it. It was awesome when the outside temp was 10F (-12C) lol! :D Now days, I can still adjust to different temps - it just takes a little longer. And my beat up old body adjusts to the heat much easier than the cold! I HATE the cold now! I'm thinking I need to move to the desert Southwest sometime soon... lol
About 5 years ago I moved from Northern Vermont to North Carolina. The first summer was unbelievable to me. I had my AC cranked up so high that the outside of my windows were all fogged up with condensation due to the contrast of the inside cold to the outside hot. I would laugh at the locals because when it got to 50 degrees F. they would be in parka's, mittens, knit hats and insulated boots. I was still wearing shorts and t-shirts.

That all changed. Now after 5 years, it's not so funny. I left Vermont happily partially because I had gotten to the point where I couldn't tolerate winter, but, I was thinking about a lot of the near or below zero stuff and the massive amounts of snow. Now it hits below 50 and I am wearing a hat, jacket and long pants. I haven't quite gotten to the mittens and boots yet. But, there is a difference. My thermostat now is set at the same temperature winter and summer. An average of 72 degrees setting. Even though it gets colder in the winter my apartment only has a heat pump for heat and it is always comfortable. However, it is a lot of how one get acclimated to the temperatures where you reside. That said, I still hate cold more then heat. I still will not head in a northerly direction unless it is summer.

Last edited:

Princess Kaylee

I have noticed a lot of characters post pictures of themselves as the character they are portraying on Instagram. I really thought that was against the rules. Maybe a rule has changed.

BOOMitsGeorgia

I have a small mickey and minnie tattoo on my wrist. easily can be covered up with a watch but yet i'm still trying to get into the CRP. I've applied 5 times already and I don't know if its my tattoo that is stopping them from giving me an interview despite the fact that I say that I am willing to get it removed if I got into the program! or if its just so many people applying. oh well hoping for 6th time lucky in august!

roj2323

I have a small mickey and minnie tattoo on my wrist. easily can be covered up with a watch but yet i'm still trying to get into the CRP. I've applied 5 times already and I don't know if its my tattoo that is stopping them from giving me an interview despite the fact that I say that I am willing to get it removed if I got into the program! or if its just so many people applying. oh well hoping for 6th time lucky in august!

Stop putting the tattoo on your application. If you can cover it with a watch, just wear a watch. All they care about is that it's not visible and you can wear a watch for nearly every on stage position. I personally worked with several cast members who had full sleeve tattoos and they just wore long undershirts.

BOOMitsGeorgia

Stop putting the tattoo on your application. If you can cover it with a watch, just wear a watch. All they care about is that it's not visible and you can wear a watch for nearly every on stage position. I personally worked with several cast members who had full sleeve tattoos and they just wore long undershirts.

unfortunately I have to put it on there. They ask if you have any visible tattoos and you have to put where it is which is where I always explain that its easy to cover up and will remove it if needed!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Stockings get the advantage there...

And I thought you were a guy. Maybe you are and to each his own.

Nope, a lady.

However, I do know some guys, mainly athletes, who have worn pantyhose. And I'm not talking about Joe Namath. Classmate in college wore a girdle. He was a place kicker and injured his back. I'm old enough to remember girdles...now that would be torture.

mergatroid

Original Poster
And an even bigger difference between stockings and pantyhose. Girls know what I'm talking about.

I doubt any cast members are wearing stockings.

At the risk of further turning this into a pantyhose and stockings thread, why on earth wouldn't they?

Chef Mickey

At the risk of further turning this into a pantyhose and stockings thread, why on earth wouldn't they?
I think it's obvious? Stockings are reserved as a more "sexy" alternative to regular pantyhose and performers would never use stockings as they'd risk having them fall down. As for regular cast members, I don't see many of them wearing thigh highs with silicone grips at the tops and even less likely to wear a garter belt with stockings, LOL!

mergatroid

Original Poster
I think it's obvious? Stockings are reserved as a more "sexy" alternative to regular pantyhose and performers would never use stockings as they'd risk having them fall down. As for regular cast members, I don't see many of them wearing thigh highs with silicone grips at the tops and even less likely to wear a garter belt with stockings, LOL!

Ok I'll bow to your superior judgement on ladies underwear :)

Mrs Merg (who I'll blame for this topic) wouldn't wear either for the parks in the heat. Sometimes in the evenings though if we're going out somewhere nice she might wear stockings but never pantyhose.

And to end the great underwear debate, neither of us have beards or tattoos either :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom