Cast members rules evolving over time

mergatroid

Original Poster
Was wondering today what cm's think about the rules and regulations when working at Disney and if many have changed over time? For instance reading rules from back in the day, beards and longer hair on men weren't allowed. I'm assuming with changing times and hair styles etc that may have changed?

I know from cm's vlogs that tattoos must be covered when 'on show' and I kind of agree with that. No offence to those with tattoos but when I was a kid in the 70's it was mainly men with tattoos and usually they were viewed as something 'normal' people didn't have. However nowadays many have them but I just don't find them appealing in the slightest and I'm happy to not have to see them on cm's.

Mrs Merg says she always feels sorry for female cm's who appear to be required to wear stockings or tights in that heat and says it's Draconian forcing ladies to wear them in those conditions!!!!

So in general what do people think of cm rules and are any just myths or do strange ones still exist? Over to you.

Goofyernmost

Some are a little weird. The beard thing directly affected my retirement. When I was in my early 50's I completely changed my occupation from primarily a white collar to a bus driver. Partially, I did that because I thought that when I retired it would be a good part time job being a bus driver there. Then I found out that you couldn't have a beard. Something that I have had for almost 40 years now. It has become, at least to me, a huge part of my identity. So, I stopped thinking about moving to Florida and went an entirely different route. Then they changed it. I always thought that is was silly anyway since the founder sported facial hair, but, I understood that on stage CM's needed to have an image of clean shaven, clean cut and, well basically, snow whitish. Bus drivers did not have to uphold that image. What they had to do was transport people safely from place to place and do it professionally.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Mrs Merg says she always feels sorry for female cm's who appear to be required to wear stockings or tights in that heat and says it's Draconian forcing ladies to wear them in those conditions!!!!
I can't think of any costumes that require women to wear stockings or tights that don't require men to be in long pants. So it's really no difference when it comes to the heat. If there's a costume that allows men to wear shorts, women are too.

Fun fact: Office workers are subject to the same restrictions as on-stage cast members but these rules do not apply to WDI.

BiffyClyro

I understand that there are rules of professionalism, but some are a little ridiculous. The beards for example. A male can look smart and professional with a beard, like to gentleman above stated.

Walt Disney1955

Disney reminds me of the New York Yankees. No Yankee has a beard. Or an earring anywhere on him. It is the clean cut look they go for. I think that was in part George Steinbrenner's idea back in the day. But it is what it is. So Disney is similar that way. Nothing wrong with that. Look, no offense, but if I am at Six Flags and the guy running the ride has tattoos up one arm and the other............yeah, it's his problem and he'll hate himself when he's old, but it isn't a professional look. Disney doesn't have this at least, and that's a good thing, I think.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Some are a little weird. The beard thing directly affected my retirement. When I was in my early 50's I completely changed my occupation from primarily a white collar to a bus driver. Partially, I did that because I thought that when I retired it would be a good part time job being a bus driver there. Then I found out that you couldn't have a beard. Something that I have had for almost 40 years now. It has become, at least to me, a huge part of my identity. So, I stopped thinking about moving to Florida and went an entirely different route. Then they changed it. I always thought that is was silly anyway since the founder sported facial hair, but, I understood that on stage CM's needed to have an image of clean shaven, clean cut and, well basically, snow whitish. Bus drivers did not have to uphold that image. What they had to do was transport people safely from place to place and do it professionally.

Wow that's really interesting and you must really like your beard :cool:

I can't think of any costumes that require women to wear stockings or tights that don't require men to be in long pants. So it's really no difference when it comes to the heat. If there's a costume that allows men to wear shorts, women are too.

Fun fact: Office workers are subject to the same restrictions as on-stage cast members but these rules do not apply to WDI.

Well I'm only going off what Mrs Merg says (honestly), however she says that ladies hosiery is hotter than long trousers as it's skin tight so doesn't let your legs 'breath' very well;

Coming from the uk we're used to much cooler weather than in Orlando and as such nearly always wear just shorts and t-shirts at the parks. I get extremely hot and bothered and it always astounds me how cm's in any costume whatsoever always look fairly cool temperature wise. I look like a frazzled noodle in shorts and a t-shirt and some guy outside the TOT is dressed as a bell hop with multiple layers looking as cool as a cucumber :eek:

Goofyernmost

Wow that's really interesting and you must really like your beard :cool:
It kinda grows on you! (me) I grew up in an awkward age. The age of Aquarius! Problem was I was in the middle of a highly conservative area and going to college while living at home and by the time I graduated (the day after to be exact) I was in the Air Force for the next four years. The Air Force also had a strict appearance demand, so no beards, long hair or crazy clothes.

When I got out I was newly married and trying to start a career and I had to look the part. I missed all the good stuff. Over the next 4 years I worked at working, had two children and finally established myself in first of many fairly good careers. Then I could finally let my hair grow long and have a beard if I wanted it. Well, as luck would have it, about that time my hair had this terribly rude habit of falling out rapidly. Fashion consisted of Bell Bottoms and the like which were anything but attractive, so I grew a beard. I shaved it off for my Sisters Wedding and everyone just looked at me weird. I had a very round head and without hair all they would have had to do was to paint stripes on my head and I would have looked like a basketball. To avoid that I grew my beard back as quickly as possible and there it has remained ever since.

After the first couple of years I started to keep it trimmed very neatly and never had a negative result from it. I don't think my kids even know what I look like without it. So, it really isn't so much of "I like it" as it is a part of me and my personality. If I had to shave it off to save my life, of course, I would do that, however to drive a bus for $11.00 an hour, which it was at the time, I don't think so. Now I don't have to shave it off, but, CMship no longer works in my current life.

mattdenine

Disney reminds me of the New York Yankees. No Yankee has a beard. Or an earring anywhere on him. It is the clean cut look they go for. I think that was in part George Steinbrenner's idea back in the day. But it is what it is. So Disney is similar that way. Nothing wrong with that. Look, no offense, but if I am at Six Flags and the guy running the ride has tattoos up one arm and the other............yeah, it's his problem and he'll hate himself when he's old, but it isn't a professional look. Disney doesn't have this at least, and that's a good thing, I think.

Saying people with tattoo's isn't a professional look is pretty old school, I have multiple tattoos and I'm in a very professional job dealing with the general public all the time. I will not hate myself when i get old.

Punky

I have zero chance working for Disney. I said that maybe I'd apply to work BBB when I get up in age, but I have tattoos so there goes my job. So many people asked about my daughters wig I made her (see profile pic) specifically for BBB. Maybe we'll have a partnership in the future... wishful thinking right?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

There's a BIG difference between pantyhose and long pants......

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Speaking of beards....

My brother had a beard when he met his wife. He had a beard until his youngest was about 5 years old. One day he shaved off his beard. His wife didn't recognize him and his kids were terrified that a stranger had broken into their house. And his sister (me) who hadn't seen him without a beard in well over a decade, didn't initially recognize this stranger who started talking to her in the grocery store.

Bluewaves

You wouldn't see someone in a movie set in Victorian times with a tattoo sleeve, so you wouldn't expect a cast member playing a role to have one either, you're on stage playing a role, you should look like that role.

Not to mention while the taboo's about tattoos have been changing many people still don't find them professional nor appealing, hence why many places ban their public display.

I had a coworker with many a tattoo, who I will admit was better at what he did than I was, yet our clients, in surveys and in practice often didn't feel comfortable with him coming out to their homes.

morningstar

I've never tried stockings, but I find long pants quite cool. They are loose enough for air to flow under them.

JIMINYCR

Well Walt wanted to make his parks different than the carnivals that he saw as dirty and unprofessional. Having strict rules for his CM's to go by helped accomplish that and showed a very distinct difference in his work force appearance than found at any other park. I find Disneys grooming rules make the parks stand out amongst the rest and keeps that clean wholesome family friendly look. Some tattoos are pretty inappropriate for the setting.

I am in my mid-twenties and I have multiple tattoos that can be hidden. I have worked at companies that I feel like have almost persecuted (persecuted may be a little strong of a term, but I cant think of a better word at this time to utilize) me for the tattoos even existed on my body, regardless of them being seen by others or not. I have now decided to work only at companies that respect my freedom to alter my appearance to my own choosing. I understand Disney's policy on tattoos, but sometimes I feel like it's taken a little too far. I think they should allow maybe smaller tattoos (the size of a half-dollar at most) to be shown as long as they are work-appropriate. I think that in this day and age body modification is becoming WAY more prevalent and employers need to learn to adjust to the changing time or they are going to have slim-pickings of the 100% clean imaged people.

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

raven

I understand that there are rules of professionalism, but some are a little ridiculous. The beards for example. A male can look smart and professional with a beard, like to gentleman above stated.

I worked there when the Beard Rule came into effect and one very rude female manager was off that day. But the next day she came back and tried to send men home for "growing their beard on the clock." So these men got together and came up with a couple of different solutions. #1 Tell her that their beard doesn't grow while working, only while sleeping ;) and #2 they would wear a dust mask while they are at work since it was required anyway in some areas where they worked, thus covering their goatee (this being in a non-guest area).

:D

daringstoic

My only problem with the relaxed Disney look rules (and most importantly casual Friday for non-guest facing office workers) is that they took effect the day after I left my job there. :(

Having worn a few of the costumes, I can attest that some are better than others. The worst I ever wore was a dress from Hall of Presidents (I think. It was somewhere in Liberty Square). That was miserably hot, even at night. If you ever see female CMs with their hands in their pockets kind of flicking their skirts out, it's an attempt to get a little breeze underneath. I'd always seen people doing it when I was out in the parks, but I never truly appreciated why until I stood outside in one of those dresses for a few hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom