Cast Member Pay

Jim Chandler

Sadly many people appear to think that the world "owes" them something for nothing more than the fact that they exist. When I was growing up you worked hard and got rewarded for it, if you were a lazy bum you got nothing.... I suppose it all starts in elementary school now where no one is allowed to invite their friends to a birthday party unless they invite the entire class... doesn't matter if little Billy the Bully has been stealing your lunch money you are still supposed to invite them too... And when those people have been brainwashed for 12 years they end up thinking that everyone is "owed" large pay and that it isn't something earned.

:( So true

coilback

wow, I didn't think a lot of the other positions were THAT low. I came into Ent Tech at $14.50 an hour and would make the extra $1/hr for pyro pay when doing pyro (usually for DAWM until I went to Wishes). We got a TON of overtime (kills ya physically though) so many of my hours were more than that. They had told me Entertainment Techs made more than most there, but I had no idea it was that much of a difference.

Reinforcing what everyone else has said on here, though, having Disney on my resume has definitely impressed just about anyone who reads it and interviews me. It also helped me land pyro positions here in Texas. Everyone is always impressed when you tell them you were on a Disney pyro crew. The irony is, it takes a LOT less skill to work a show like Wishes than it does to do most of the shows I do around the area here (Dallas, TX).

thomas998

A friend who works in entertainment makes $9.45/ hour and I think they get a very minimal raise each year (like 20 cents or so) so I definitely don't think that's a fair pay. Especially considering competitor pay (universal employees make about 11 starting in the same positions) and compared to "face" characters who arguably do less/equal the amount of work as "fur" performers... It's stupid. Like others have said, you know what you're gonna make when you get hired and have options to go elsewhere, a lot of people just love the company. It doesn't mean they can't complain about their wages; I think that Disney cast members would be of the quality they were a decade ago if they were paid reasonably.

You are right... but I must wonder why would someone take a job if they think the pay is too little... complaining after you have taken the job would seem to be a recipe for being discontent and that will show up in your work.

All Disney All The Time

"Begging for full time" LOL that made me laugh. And yeah, it's tough these days. A college degree doesn't even guarantee you a job. Sometimes I wonder why I'm in college. All I'm graduating with is a bunch of loans and a piece of a paper. Really depends on the major too, but with my major, it's kinda tough. You can never tell.

Yeah, half of the people in my store are older folks that works part-time and they treat it like a hobby. A lady I know has her own business, one is a teacher, and others are retired. Really, they don't need to be working, but they like it. I honestly can't see myself quitting at Disney anytime soon. I'm aiming for another job in the healthcare field, but I would probably just go seasonal instead of quitting once I get all my ducks in a row.

Since you're in the healthcare industry, maybe you can give me some insight? What are the jobs in healthcare administration like (wherever you live?) Are there a lot of opportunities available? It's what I'm majoring in and as I'm searching for jobs, I feel kinda hopeless with no practical experience. They always says there's always jobs in the healthcare field, but I feel like it's only the clinical side of it. I'm desperate to get a job in the hospital, but it's tough... I'm about to be done with my Bachelors and I'll be continuing with a Masters next fall, however, I don't know if this major is worth getting a Masters in anymore. Maybe I need to change career paths, yet again. It seems like a great fit for me, I just can't seem to find an opportunity anywhere.
First of all you need to understand that everybody hates the hospital paperpushers, ie administrators. You'll have a difficult time finding a job with a Bachelors unless it is some kind of the famous "internships". A Masters will help and if you ever wish to climb the ladder as the years go on it will be mandatory. Small hospitals in small towns will be your best bet for some type of entry level job in administration, everybody wants to work in the big hospitals in the big city and once people have scored those jobs they tend to keep them for a long while. I hope that your school has a successful placement dept. Best wishes in your endeavors.

JimboJones123

To my points again, nobody forced them to be a CM. It is not a career checking lapbars or wiping tables. Sorry. It is not. If paying bills is the major concern, get a bill paying job. I would have loved to have kept my first job out of college. It only paid $32k a year. I was happy, got paid 2x as much as a current CM, 3x as much as a CM at the time. I could have quit that job to be a CM for 1/3 the pay. Instead I moved my family across the country for a $42k a year job. It became a $50k a year job a few years later. Would I have enjoyed being a CM better? Hell yeah. Would I have gotten by? Hell no.

My post was not a shot at CMs.

I have had more than half a dozen family members as CMs. They never worked for Disney when they needed to make a living off of it. And that is the difference.

I did not belittle the CM.

To the CM happy with their station, congrats. You are what Disney needs. Not those that refuse to give up their freebies for a much better overall lifestyle.

Bloopers

To my points again, nobody forced them to be a CM. It is not a career checking lapbars or wiping tables. Sorry. It is not. If paying bills is the major concern, get a bill paying job. I would have loved to have kept my first job out of college. It only paid $32k a year. I was happy, got paid 2x as much as a current CM, 3x as much as a CM at the time. I could have quit that job to be a CM for 1/3 the pay. Instead I moved my family across the country for a $42k a year job. It became a $50k a year job a few years later. Would I have enjoyed being a CM better? Hell yeah. Would I have gotten by? Hell no.

My post was not a shot at CMs.

I have had more than half a dozen family members as CMs. They never worked for Disney when they needed to make a living off of it. And that is the difference.

I did not belittle the CM.

To the CM happy with their station, congrats. You are what Disney needs. Not those that refuse to give up their freebies for a much better overall lifestyle.

This. I can't see making a living off of the kind of wage Disney offers, but if it's something you enjoy doing and you aren't really in need of money, then taking on the job for fun might be worth your while. Basically, working at Disney pays for my food/gas. But I don't expect it to pay for my tuition, apartment, or any of the sort. I agree that if you're looking to actually MAKE A LIVING, then Disney isn't the place unless you land a professional job. (Even at that level, I'm not sure if they pay well.) It's one thing to do what you're happy doing, but it's another thing if it's not putting food on the table or taking care of the necessities in life.

Disneykidder

I can retire in 17 years. When I do, I will be moving to Florida and will have the Mouse as my boss. I will be doing it for the sheer fun of it and because I love Disney. If I were to move there now, I wouldn't be able to support my family. I have always wanted to live in Florida and being a big Disney nut, I would move close to it so I could visit whenever my heart wanted to. So, in 17 years a Disney working I shall go!!

ThinkTink93

I'm starting on the 4th and was offered $10.10/hr. As a college student, I feel like that's a fantastic pay, especially since I've been working for the last 18 months on minimum wage!

ThinkTink93

What is your role?

Disney just upped their wages very recently, as I noticed on their careers website. I just got hired as a Merch cast member and I will be making about 8.00/hour. I also have this thing called a second job. ;)

I was just hired as a PhotoPass photographer last week! :)

G00fyDad

I was just hired as a PhotoPass photographer last week! :)

Let us know how many people scream at you because you didn't quite get it "right". LOL That is why I never could work in customer service. I joined the Air Force right out of high school during Desert Storm to be a police officer (Security Forces) and haven't gotten out of that field yet. I cannot deal with the way some people talk to those in customer service. I commend you, and good luck. ;)

ThinkTink93

Let us know how many people scream at you because you didn't quite get it "right". LOL That is why I never could work in customer service. I joined the Air Force right out of high school during Desert Storm to be a police officer (Security Forces) and haven't gotten out of that field yet. I cannot deal with the way some people talk to those in customer service. I commend you, and good luck. ;)

Luckily for me, my last job was basically smiling and talking with customers. The job literally thrived on customer service. I've definitely had my share of crazy customers and have learned to kill em' with kindness! Thankfully my last boss (who doesn't stop smiling) taught me well! I love photography, and my teachers have always told me I have a great eye so hopefully I wont get that many people flipping out at me about my composition. We'll see. I'm just glad I got the job. Its been my dream!! :)

G00fyDad

Luckily for me, my last job was basically smiling and talking with customers. The job literally thrived on customer service. I've definitely had my share of crazy customers and have learned to kill em' with kindness! Thankfully my last boss (who doesn't stop smiling) taught me well! I love photography, and my teachers have always told me I have a great eye so hopefully I wont get that many people flipping out at me about my composition. We'll see. I'm just glad I got the job. It's been my dream!! :)

Then I am so happy for you. :D Good luck, and remember.... you can't fix stupid so don't try. Keep smiling.

ThinkTink93

My on boarding was this past Tuesday! Definitely do all the forms online before. They'll ask you just to fill out another i9 since a new one goes into affect on May 4th. I wasn't there too long, they'll tell you what to wear to traditions, take your fingerprints (electronically) and take your picture for your cast member ID! :) My Traditions class is Saturday May 4th so it's not too far away! :)

melissa!

My on boarding was this past Tuesday! Definitely do all the forms online before. They'll ask you just to fill out another i9 since a new one goes into affect on May 4th. I wasn't there too long, they'll tell you what to wear to traditions, take your fingerprints (electronically) and take your picture for your cast member ID! :) My Traditions class is Saturday May 4th so it's not too far away! :)
Thanks!! I am curious though, I've already taken Traditions when I was a CP, I wonder if they will make me take it again. Hmmm I should post a new thread :) If I do have to take Traditions and it's May 4th I will let you know! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom