Cast Member gives great explanation as to why Selfie Sticks are banned

Victor Kelly

They were there in January. Not many, but throughout the 10 day trip we saw them more and more. Mostly we laughed at the people using them. One caught me in a grazing pass...........the stick hit the ground from when I suddenly turned around again:rolleyes::devilish:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I actually didn't see very many of them while I visited this month, but I sure am glad to hear these awful things are finally leaving Disney parks for good.

jessfriends

I personally have not been to Disney World since selfie sticks became a huge thing. I was in Disneyland last October and it wasn't a problem. I'm just curious, has anyone been personally affected by people using selfie sticks? Whether it caused their ride to shut down, or getting hit with one.

In January and May of this year I saw these everywhere. I did see more in January and I was only there for 3 days one of them was at universal. In May I was there for 9 days. I almost got hit with one during both trips at WDW and at Universal. Both times I was not that close to the group of people but they did not speak English and suddenly stopped in front of me while walking in the park so I went around but as I was going around out comes the selfie stick. It was very annoying and I'm happy that they are banned at least from WDW.

BigRedDad

I don't need a good reason. The only good reason is people are too self centered. I think there needs to be a law that allows you to take it and beat them with it.

Ralphlaw

Yay! I hate the selfie sticks and the narcissistic, selfish, clueless, inconsiderate, I-love-me, self-centered, only child dweebs who use them. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but think of the first adjective that pops into your brain when you see these. It's gratifying to see that absolutely no one is opposed to the ban. Yay us!

By the way, New Year's Eve is a great time to see backstage at Epcot. Due to the crowds, a bunch of backstage areas are open for entrance and egress. Fun, but it does dim some of the magic.

G00fyDad

Yay! I hate the selfie sticks and the narcissistic, selfish, clueless, inconsiderate, I-love-me, self-centered, only child dweebs who use them. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but think of the first adjective that pops into your brain when you see these. It's gratifying to see that absolutely no one is opposed to the ban. Yay us!

By the way, New Year's Eve is a great time to see backstage at Epcot. Due to the crowds, a bunch of backstage areas are open for entrance and egress. Fun, but it does dim some of the magic.

There is ONE person opposed to the ban here. :cautious: (Not me)

Ralphlaw

There is ONE person opposed to the ban here. :cautious: (Not me)

I just read through the whole thing again, and I didn't really see anyone vehemently opposing the ban. One or two people questioned it, but no one is saying, "Don't take away my stick!" And for that essentially unanimous approval, we should all be gratified. The World isn't going completely crazy, and now back to the soap opera that is Greece.

G00fyDad

I just read through the whole thing again, and I didn't really see anyone vehemently opposing the ban. One or two people questioned it, but no one is saying, "Don't take away my stick!" And for that essentially unanimous approval, we should all be gratified. The World isn't going completely crazy, and now back to the soap opera that is Greece.

Not this stick thread. ;)

cmoliver68

Ah, the good old American "Rules Don't Apply To Me" attitude.
Interestingly, my experience with the "Rules don't apply to me" attitude is generally foreigners, including selfie stick use. Of course, many will agree that teens are problem but aren't teens "foreigners" also? :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Interestingly, my experience with the "Rules don't apply to me" attitude is generally foreigners, including selfie stick use. Of course, many will agree that teens are problem but aren't teens "foreigners" also? :)
My experience is that the only consistent with the "rules don't apply to me" attitude is being human.

G00fyDad

The "it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" crowd. I work with one like that, it's been a real education.

Me too. Her entire personality revolves around her mantra of "Why does it matter? It doesn't hurt you." laced with a smirk.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
All the person had to say was "they're annoying and should be outlawed" and that woulda been good enough for me. I look at selfie sticks as a way for people to be incredibly lazy when taking a picture and if you're too lazy to hold your actual phone in front of your face, you dont need one.

blueboxdoctor

Very well spoken explanation! Disney should promote you to a PR position!

Well, for all we know he may have taken that from internal PR.

As for the selfie sticks, I just think they look really stupid (I get the point, get more people into the picture and get more background, but then, why not just take an actual picture?). More annoying are the parents who ram their strollers into you and don't care (obviously there is a lot of accidental running into, which is understandable, but you an tell the ones who see their destination and are going to get their no matter who or what gets in their way).

blueboxdoctor

I gave the source which can be found here.

That's what I meant, like the cast member who wrote it could have been basing what he/she wrote off of an internal PR statement. Not saying there aren't good writers out there (there are a lot of them), but I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney has given suggestions to cast members for what sort of things to say regarding matters like this.

Didn't mean to create any confusion.

But regardless, I'm still somewhat amazed how people continually do things on rides that put themselves and others in danger, I'm no genius, but I don't think asking for a little common sense from these people is too much to ask (I couldn't imagine holding a selfie stick out during a ride, just open your eyes, there are tons of things it could hit that could cause issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom