Carry on luggage and DCL Transfers

DCLcruiser

Original Poster
I've searched and can't find an answer...

This time my wife and I plan to travel with two carry on pieces of luggage. Obviously, checked bags are picked up at baggage claim by DCL (using tags) and show up in your stateroom, but what about carry on?

Can we give anyone at MCO check-in our bags? Or do we take them on the bus and carry to the terminal ourselves as if we drove ourselves? Thanks.

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
Anything you want DCL to take, stow, and deliver to your room needs to have the airline tags on them.

If you carry it off the plane, you'll carry it all the way to your cabin. That means you'll also need to carry it while you eat lunch on the ship (before you get your room), which can be a pain. My suggestion is to pack as light as possible on the plane, as far as Carry-Ons.

I don't know of any service like the WDW resorts where they'll hold your carry-ons after you get on the ship. If it exists, it's not very well advertised.

DCLcruiser

Original Poster
@Tom do you mean that if I put the luggage tags on my carry on someone at check-in will take my bag for delivery? Or are you saying if I carry off the plane, I have to keep the bag no matter what?

EOD K9

When we cruised in March and we took DCL transfers, the driver advised us as we pulled into the terminal that if anyone had any last minute items, they would get you a tag and give it to a porter. One family took them up on that as they had a lot of carry-ons.

Tom

Beta Return
@Tom do you mean that if I put the luggage tags on my carry on someone at check-in will take my bag for delivery? Or are you saying if I carry off the plane, I have to keep the bag no matter what?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If you put a purple DCL bar-coded sticker on your carry-ons, and get off the bus with them on your shoulders, they're not going to wrestle them away from you. But they WILL take them if you want them to (see quote below).

What we do is pack for embarkation before we leave home (er, well, we never fly in on embarkation day - too risky - so we've only traveled over from a Disney resort). Almost everything goes in the checked bags, and the bare necessities go in the carry-on. They x-ray the carry-on when boarding the ship, but it's nothing like TSA rules.

Something to keep in mind is timing. It worked out perfectly for us in November. We bused from POR over to the port on Magical Express. By the time we got on the ship, it was 1pm, which meant rooms were ready. So, we dropped all our carry-ons in the room then hurried down to Cabanas for lunch. By then, all the early boarders were done eating and off to the pools. So, the dining rooms were pretty empty, and we had no bags to deal with (just a baby). Couldn't have worked out better.

In summary, if you can time it to board around 1pm, you get the best of both worlds.

When we cruised in March and we took DCL transfers, the driver advised us as we pulled into the terminal that if anyone had any last minute items, they would get you a tag and give it to a porter. One family took them up on that as they had a lot of carry-ons.

Right. When you get off the bus as the terminal, they WILL allow you to "check" additional bags that get sent through the behind-the-scenes system and end up in your room a few hours later. If you're arriving during a big rush of inbound guests, this can bog things down, but it's possible.

DCLcruiser

Original Poster
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If you put a purple DCL bar-coded sticker on your carry-ons, and get off the bus with them on your shoulders, they're not going to wrestle them away from you. But they WILL take them if you want them to (see quote below).

I just confirmed with DCL that they WILL take our bags at MCO/Bus and deliver if our tags are on the bags. Thanks!

NelleBelle

We took a rental car shuttle bus that morning after having stayed overnight at the Port. We had all our luggage with us and had the bags tagged and ready to go. The shuttle bus dropped us right up front and a porter grabbed whatever bags we didn't want carried on, so I'd think that you should be just fine checking your carry-on bags from the plane, if that's what you want to do (as long as there is a DCL tag on them).

DCLcruiser

Original Poster
We took a rental car shuttle bus that morning after having stayed overnight at the Port. We had all our luggage with us and had the bags tagged and ready to go. The shuttle bus dropped us right up front and a porter grabbed whatever bags we didn't want carried on, so I'd think that you should be just fine checking your carry-on bags from the plane, if that's what you want to do (as long as there is a DCL tag on them).
That's the plan thanks. We sail tomorrow!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom