Carousel of Progress New Laptop

Oddysey

I am going against the grain here, but upgrades to the last scene make no sense within the current context of the ride.

The first scene explains that "Walt thought it would be fun to see the American family go through the 20th century experiencing all of the new wonders." Given this information, there should be no upgrades to the last scene at all. There should be no sleek flat screen HD TV or a sleeker more modern version of a laptop. The last scene should literally be 1999. Otherwise we are experiencing all of the changes through only part of 20th century because the ride would exclude changes in the 70s/80s/90s.

Skipping those decades and moving straight to the present in the last scene just does not work in my opinion. Updating the last scene in increments the that Disney has, is not cohesive to the story and demonstrates a lack of attention to detail and/or a lack of vision for the CoP itself. Although the lack of attention to detail comes at no surprise since the narration of the TTA indicates "four (implying 4 different families) families welcome you into their home of yesterday and today starting way back in the 20th century."

AndyS2992

I am going against the grain here, but upgrades to the last scene make no sense within the current context of the ride.

The first scene explains that "Walt thought it would be fun to see the American family go through the 20th century experiencing all of the new wonders." Given this information, there should be no upgrades to the last scene at all. There should be no sleek flat screen HD TV or a sleeker more modern version of a laptop. The last scene should literally be 1999. Otherwise we are experiencing all of the changes through only part of 20th century because the ride would exclude changes in the 70s/80s/90s.

Skipping those decades and moving straight to the present in the last scene just does not work in my opinion. Updating the last scene in increments the that Disney has, is not cohesive to the story and demonstrates a lack of attention to detail and/or a lack of vision for the CoP itself. Although the lack of attention to detail comes at no surprise since the narration of the TTA indicates "four (implying 4 different families) families welcome you into their home of yesterday and today starting way back in the 20th century."

But the last scene is representing the future, not today and needs updating. The TTA announcement of 'yesterday and today' is actually implying yesterday and the future because you are in Tomorrowland, you're in the future, not 2017. The technology that is shown in the last scene was very much futuristic 20 years ago but automatic voice controlled ovens, big flat screen TVs, laptops and Virtual Reality gaming are all now readily available in the real World. In my opinion she shouldn't even be using a laptop, a holographicy tablet type thing would be much more futuristic looking.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Guys, as I've said before...the last scene just needs tweaks. We basically live exactly like they do in the last scene, even in 2017.

All they need is an updated wardrobe, some smartphones, and a the "car phone" and "laser disc" references replaced with "smartphones" and "Blu-Ray." I could do the whole thing few literally a few thousand dollars. The little story they have with VR and voice recognition is totally fine.

Oddysey

But the last scene is representing the future, not today and needs updating. The TTA announcement of 'yesterday and today' is actually implying yesterday and the future because you are in Tomorrowland, you're in the future, not 2017. The technology that is shown in the last scene was very much futuristic 20 years ago but automatic voice controlled ovens, big flat screen TVs, laptops and Virtual Reality gaming are all now readily available in the real World. In my opinion she shouldn't even be using a laptop, a holographicy tablet type thing would be much more futuristic looking.

With all do respect you missed the point of my TTA post. I recognize that the TTA theme is set in the future and that today actually means tomorrow. The inconsistency in the TTAs narration that I was pointing out was that it states 4 families welcome you to their home when it is clearly 1 family experiencing the 20th century. Hence a lack of attention to detail by Disney regarding the CoP.

With respect to the last scene supposedly being about the future, I maintain that it does no fit within the current context of the ride. The very first scene sets the stage by saying Walt thought it would be fun watching a family experience the changes of the 20th century. It says nothing of Walt thinking it would be fun to peak into the future or see a family experience the future. Moreover, the 3rd scene featuring the family is clearly a time period prior to the 70s/80s & 90s, and the family skipping a quarter of the 20th century does not seem fun and lacks continuity.

Lastly, Horizons was literally created in part so that we could witness the family from the CoP experiencing the future. I fail to see why this concept would be created for Horizons if it is already meant to be experienced on the CoP.

jamescobalt

The inconsistency in the TTAs narration that I was pointing out was that it states 4 families welcome you to their home when it is clearly 1 family experiencing the 20th century.

I recommend checking out the excellent Carousel of Progress documentary on YouTube. The show was never intended to represent one family - just one TYPE of family; "an American family". Whether the characters were literally the same from any one scene to the next was left purposefully vague, but even in its original incarnation, too many years passed from the first to final scenes for the same characters to be in the same timeline.

So take your pick:
same timeline, different families
same family, different timelines
vampires / timelords

correcaminos

Guys, as I've said before...the last scene just needs tweaks. We basically live exactly like they do in the last scene, even in 2017.

All they need is an updated wardrobe, some smartphones, and a the "car phone" and "laser disc" references replaced with "smartphones" and "Blu-Ray." I could do the whole thing few literally a few thousand dollars. The little story they have with VR and voice recognition is totally fine.
If you do that, you lose the idea of the "future" being represented though. Back when that scene was created we didn't live that way. Though a lot of people still don't have voice activated homes, many are getting it, still not quite futuristic enough for me.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
If you do that, you lose the idea of the "future" being represented though. Back when that scene was created we didn't live that way. Though a lot of people still don't have voice activated homes, many are getting it, still not quite futuristic enough for me.
I'm just talking some quick and very EASY tweaks to avoid a complete redesign of the ending.

Clearly, if an entire redesign were done, there could be more major changes to the scene/dialogue.

Eddie Garrison

So has no one ridden it in the last 2 weeks to confirm/deny this rumor? I need a picture!

Here is the picture.

DFRGJ9cXoAAEACH.jpg:large

correcaminos

I'm just talking some quick and very EASY tweaks to avoid a complete redesign of the ending.

Clearly, if an entire redesign were done, there could be more major changes to the scene/dialogue.
Gotcha! I was thinking differently. Yes some simple things could make it current or at least the possible current for many.

Oddysey

I recommend checking out the excellent Carousel of Progress documentary on YouTube. The show was never intended to represent one family - just one TYPE of family; "an American family". Whether the characters were literally the same from any one scene to the next was left purposefully vague, but even in its original incarnation, too many years passed from the first to final scenes for the same characters to be in the same timeline.

So take your pick:
same timeline, different families
same family, different timelines
vampires / timelords

Let's see...Every family member looks the same, sounds the same, interacts in the same way, and even have the same names (including the dog Rover). I think I will go same family, different timelines.

Apparently the family genes are beyond fantastic and should be studied considering they do not start aging until late in the 20th century.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Let's see...Every family member looks the same, sounds the same, interacts in the same way, and even have the same names (including the dog Rover). I think I will go same family, different timelines.

Apparently the family genes are beyond fantastic and should be studied considering they do not start aging until late in the 20th century.
Maybe that is an idea for the final scene. Genetic engineering in humans and living forever. Fits right in!

Communicore

I've said it before, I would rather have the 60's ending than the 1993 one. It's awesome! Let's keep it retro. You can't jump from the 40's to the 2020's lol

Surfin' Tuna

I've said it before, I would rather have the 60's ending than the 1993 one. It's awesome! Let's keep it retro. You can't jump from the 40's to the 2020's lol

Clearly I love CoP, since I rushed over to take the picture when the new laptop was rumored. I have always hoped they would do something to update the last scene, but I had never really thought about this problem. It would not be jumping from the 60's to 2020's; it would be jumping from the 40's to the 2020s. If they rework the last scene, they might have to rework everything. That would very likely ruin the attraction, the nostalgia, and optimism that it instills in some of us. I guess they could do something like 1900, 1940, 1980, and 2020, but even 2020 doesn't seem very "tomorrow." Heck, I've already got a few things on the calendar for the 2020s.

jamescobalt

Yes, but what Disney doesn't show us it that once the aging process begins again it accelerates rapidly. I'm afraid this is the last Christmas John, Sarah, Patricia, and James will be spending together...
And now you know the REAL reason there have been no updates and why Act 4 is truly the Final Act. The unloading theater curtains are hiding a very grim scene indeed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom