Carousel of Progress New Laptop

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I know it's a joke but ... my Zune is 6+ years old and still working great, the iPods I've had ... not so much.
Apple is known for insanely good build quality. Not sure what's going on with your iPods, but I literally have a 1st generation that works perfectly. Their iPads are the same way. Part of the reason iPad sales have fallen off is because the darn things never break and people are happy with them for 4-5 years. I just got the new 10.5 iPad pro to replace my iPad from literally 2012 (still works perfectly) but just wanted the speed.

If Disney threw in some iPads and iPhones with a reference to "apps" instead of Grandpa's reference to "Laser Disc" I actually think the ending would be perfectly fine.

This should be their action plan for COP:
  1. New wardrobe for all <$1000
  2. Laser Disc reference to "Apps on that phone"
  3. Car Phone reference changed to "Cell Phone"
  4. Maybe a new VR projected on to the TV with similar points structure so the entire script doesn't need a re-write...or heck, just keep it. It's not bad.
  5. Profit

Phonedave

Totally dyslexic with numbers so thanks!

I cannot help but think how dumb their oven was every time I use mine. Glad our technology goy smarted than they guessed 20+ years ago

Yeah, but what gets me is that oven preheats to 975 in like 30 seconds. Now THATS some futuristic stuff right there.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

To bad they can't add an 80s-90s scene then add a new futuristic scene. That would be awesome. I mean they have the 90s but now they need a future.

tractor tipper

Tomorrow seems like it becomes yesterday much faster now than it did 20 years ago. A trend that has been true through out history ( if you throw out the Dark Ages).

KBLovedDisney

To bad they can't add an 80s-90s scene then add a new futuristic scene. That would be awesome. I mean they have the 90s but now they need a future.
Have the 90s scene with a kid in his or her bedroom talking with stuffed animals and has posters and a complete bed spread set from The Lion King.

Yeah, that was me...

disneygeek90

Just got off. Here's another look at the updated laptop. Finally! I have only been asking about this for years. It's not the best they could have used, but it's better.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 155

jamescobalt

If I may pop in on this thread, my son had a question about a character. He's been hooked on this attraction lately.
We know the immediate family is John, Sarah, Patricia and James.
In the 1st scene there's a young girl standing next to Sarah as Sarah irons. It can't be Patricia since she's shown later in the scene getting ready for a dance.
Who's the young girl? She's not in any other scene.

In the original version of Carousel of Progress, there was another young sister who appeared in the first and third (or final?) acts with the little boy and girl watching a tv set (state of the art technology!) in the corner. In DL's version, the final act showed the family living in EPCOT's "Progress City". Back then, when the show concluded, guests were directed up a ramp to the 2nd floor to see a scale model of Progress City (of which a small slice is now visible from MK's People Mover).

Both kids were removed from the scene - which has changed a number of times since then. They remained, however, in the mostly unchanged opening act. Today the CMs call her "Slave Girl" and many erroneously assume her presence is a callback to the child labor of the time.

EDITED: I think the kids were in the 3rd act, not the final. Looked at a photo of the scene and it's definitely autumn outside the window, which is when act 3 takes place.

Last edited:

Disney4family

In the original version of Carousel of Progress, there was another young sister who appeared in the first and final acts. The final showed the family living in EPCOT's "Progress City", and the little boy and girl were watching a tv set (state of the art technology!) in the corner. Back then, when the show concluded, guests were directed up a ramp to the 2nd floor to see a scale model of Progress City (of which a small slice is now visible from MK's People Mover).

Both kids were removed from the final act - which has changed a number of times since then. They remained, however, in the mostly unchanged opening act. Today the CMs call her "Slave Girl" and many erroneously assume her presence is a callback to the child labor of the time.
Wow! I never knew that. Thank you so much for all the info and for your time. Very interesting.
I'll tell my son when he gets up (It isn't noon yet. It's summer. And - he is now officially a teenager :cool:)

KBLovedDisney

In the original version of Carousel of Progress, there was another young sister who appeared in the first and final acts. The final showed the family living in EPCOT's "Progress City", and the little boy and girl were watching a tv set (state of the art technology!) in the corner. Back then, when the show concluded, guests were directed up a ramp to the 2nd floor to see a scale model of Progress City (of which a small slice is now visible from MK's People Mover).

Both kids were removed from the final act - which has changed a number of times since then. They remained, however, in the mostly unchanged opening act. Today the CMs call her "Slave Girl" and many erroneously assume her presence is a callback to the child labor of the time.
Wasn't this the original Disneyland version though? I thought Disney World's has always been like it is now, except with the few subtle changes over the years.

jamescobalt

Wasn't this the original Disneyland version though? I thought Disney World's has always been like it is now, except with the few subtle changes over the years.
MK's has seen as many big changes during its run as DL's did during its run - it completely changed the music (originally ) and the Christmas scene has gone through a couple major stylistic and tonal changes. It's also seen many other minor changes including most recently to the technology behind the scenes (with more updates to come according to CMs!).

But it's still essentially the same attraction as the one that operated for two years in NYC before being relocated to its DL show building (with a much shorter post-show that expanded upon, and focused solely on, the city of tomorrow, while dropping all the bits about energy & science). The biggest change in the main show was the Christmas scene now took place within Progress City. When it was relocated to its 3rd and seemingly final show building, the changes were more drastic; it wasn't just the show building, Christmas scene, and some voice actors that once again changed, but MK's music was all new and it lost the mini post-show of Progress City and the "Kaleidophonic" screens in the loading and unloading theaters.

MinnieWaffles

Has nobody noticed how potentially dangerous the oven in the final scene is? Heats up by voice command to temperature levels that could kill someone and also completely melt the inside. If CoP is closed in the near future, it's probably because the animatronics finally burnt to death.

Kids, come see the Carousel of Dangerous Appliances !

correcaminos

Has nobody noticed how potentially dangerous the oven in the final scene is? Heats up by voice command to temperature levels that could kill someone and also completely melt the inside. If CoP is closed in the near future, it's probably because the animatronics finally burnt to death.

Kids, come see the Carousel of Dangerous Appliances !
LOL

We talk about that scene since my range/oven has voice commands as well. Fortunately in the real future (meaning now) they have smart limits. You cannot set my oven by voice to over 550 nor can you set broil. You also have to allow certain functions to be done remotely or it won't work at all. All much safer.

KBLovedDisney

MK's has seen as many big changes during its run as DL's did during its run - it completely changed the music (originally ) and the Christmas scene has gone through a couple major stylistic and tonal changes. It's also seen many other minor changes including most recently to the technology behind the scenes (with more updates to come according to CMs!).

But it's still essentially the same attraction as the one that operated for two years in NYC before being relocated to its DL show building (with a much shorter post-show that expanded upon, and focused solely on, the city of tomorrow, while dropping all the bits about energy & science). The biggest change in the main show was the Christmas scene now took place within Progress City. When it was relocated to its 3rd and seemingly final show building, the changes were more drastic; it wasn't just the show building, Christmas scene, and some voice actors that once again changed, but MK's music was all new and it lost the mini post-show of Progress City and the "Kaleidophonic" screens in the loading and unloading theaters.

Ah, good info. Also, was the second floor concept with the model city in Disney World as well as Disneyland?

Disneyrailfan1996

I've always assumed it was a neighborhood girl Sarah paid to help her with the laundry
That solves one mystery, but what about the cat that appears in the first act in the same side scene as James and then again resting on a bed, tail moving, in the last scene? That's a bigger mystery! Even I can't think up of a possibility, and I'm great (at least in my own view) at figuring out possible reasons why things are what they are sometimes! Hmmmm..........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom