Carnival has banned onboard credits - a sign of things to come?

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I don't see it being that radical - since 2009, the cruise industry across the board has been steadily moving in this direction. Most have focused on forbidding advertising low rates and rebates, but this was the next logical step; Carnival took it first.

Make a good cruise product that people will clamor to buy, and there will be no need to give incentives to TA's to sell them - they will want to by the nature and demand for the product.

Another example - for many years, cruise lines have given TA's extra benefits, incentives and locked in rates for group bookings of 8 staterooms or more. Larger agencies, due to their size, would grab as many group rate stateroom blocks as they could when the pricing was first released. Over the last few years, DCL has made it tougher and tougher for this to happen, to help benefit all agencies (and DCL, I am sure), again "to level the playing field". Just last month, DCL announced that in 2013, there will be no more group cruise bookings and benefits, all will be treated as individual stateroom bookings, linked with a 'travel with' number, similar to how WDW does it. I recently read a travel industry article that said other lines may be doing something similar.

The bolded part! Yes! This!!!

And right before I read this I started a thread about the group bookings, Joe! Great minds... :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
when I say 'radical' in the scope of forbidden incentives - very far reaching.

Attempts to game incentives to be used in non-intended ways should be squashed regardless of the size of the agencies. I don't see it as 'leveling the playing field' but addressing unintended behaviors.

alissafalco

We've been cruising mostly from NYC (so obviously not DCL), and since we live locally we usually book direct since we have no travel involved. However, given the frequency of airlines changing schedules, if we have to travel to get to the cruise we'd use an agency (let them deal with changing flights, etc.).

DCL now leaves from NYC! YAY!!!!

sweetpee_1993

One thing I have always wondered as a TA is why companies allow us to book anything at all. I can only assume that their data shows that what they give us in commission is made back plus some. If that is indeed the case the theory of locking us out entirely would be akin to getting ride of a $1000 a month billboard that brings you $1500 or more a month in profit.

As a consumer looking in, I always thought the "commission" was built into the prices set by Disney for their parks/resorts, cruises, and guided tours. Because booking with Tammy didn't cost me anything more than booking direct I assumed the commission percentage was built-in. If people book direct then it's a bonus for Disney because they get to keep the commission dollars for themselves.

DisneyJoe

As a consumer looking in, I always thought the "commission" was built into the prices set by Disney for their parks/resorts, cruises, and guided tours. Because booking with Tammy didn't cost me anything more than booking direct I assumed the commission percentage was built-in. If people book direct then it's a bonus for Disney because they get to keep the commission dollars for themselves.

My assumption is that is used to pay call center staff, which can cost more than TA's since they are employees.

sweetpee_1993

My assumption is that is used to pay call center staff, which can cost more than TA's since they are employees.

Exactly. Either way the cost to the company is built into the prices. It's just a matter of directing that $$ either to their own folks (DTC) or outside agents. Or, I guess, web designers & IT since you can book online without ever talking to anyone. Right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom