Caribbean vs Cabin at Ft. Wilderness

cslafferty

Original Poster
Haven't stayed at either. These are my choices in order to get free dining. I've heard busses are an issue at both. Thoughts?

allidog1

The Cabins at Fort Wilderness would give you more room. I love Fort Wilderness and I would always stay there if I could. I haven't stayed at Carribean in a while so I can't speak to that.

cslafferty

Original Poster
The Cabins at Fort Wilderness would give you more room. I love Fort Wilderness and I would always stay there if I could. I haven't stayed at Carribean in a while so I can't speak to that.
How is transportation within the resort and to the parks?

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Most of my clients rent golf carts at an additional charge to get around Fort Wilderness since it's so large. Caribbean Beach has an internal bus that runs from stop to stop as does Fort Wilderness.

Pam

JamieLee18

Haven't stayed at CBR, but we love the cabins. Buses never seem to be an issue when we use them. We also love renting golf carts, it's a great way to see the resort, plus much more convenient.

slappy magoo

They're both huge resorts, so you're going to have to rely on either internal shuttles, or buses that make multiple stops (or both). At least at Fort Wilderness, you also have boat access to Magic Kingdom; if you were planning on spending a lot of time there, that's a plus. Plus at FW, you'll have more on-site dining options - CB has pizza delivery, a food court and a restaurant that gets horrible reviews and is only open for dinner. FW has more snack/QS options, a buffet open for every meal, the dinner-only character BBQ and the Hoop de Doo Revue dinner theater. Plus, if you're into that sort of thing, your cabin has a full kitchen, including cookware and dining ware, if you want to make some of your meals, even if you're not "cooking" per se but have sandwich fixings or cereal for breakfast. CB rooms certainly don't have kitchens. I'm pretty sure they don't even have kitchenettes, just a smallish dorm-style fridge. FW has more on-site amenities slash "things to do." Where CB has FW beat - CB has 9 pools versus FW's 2. Nonetheless, if they're both within your budget, I'd try to get a cabin first, second and third...and then book CB if you have to and keep checking for cabins until you get lucky.

Rlevy33663

I've stayed at the cabin before and loved it, but last time I stayed, we rented a car and parked it right in front. How does one rent a golf cart? Can you park it at the outposts, so you can take the bus to the parks? Can you park it by the water to take the boat to the Magic Kingdom?

Belle_MTL

We always stay in the cabins. We used to split stays so that we could experience other resorts, but have stopped doing that sticking to FW. I have zero complaints about it. We always rent a golf cart (call 407-824-2742), and use that to get around. Your can park it at the bus outpost as well as by the water to catch the boat. The park buses come often enough as do the boats. What I love the most is simply the peace and tranquility. It's a nice after spending the day at a park to come back to a quiet cabin. Also having the deck with picnic table is nice for relaxing. If you are there during any of the holidays it's nice to walk/drive around all the RV's to see all the decorations. Some people really go all out!

CaptainAmerica

The golf carts at Fort Wilderness are obscenely expensive, to the point that you'd be better off upgrading to Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge unless the extra space is an absolute necessity. Considering that you're doing this for the sake of free dining, I assume you won't be using the kitchen very much.

CalicoJack97

Haven't stayed at either. These are my choices in order to get free dining. I've heard busses are an issue at both. Thoughts?
My family and I have stayed at CBR a year or so ago. It was nice but it was very far walking distance to the resorts amenities such as the bus stops, hotel lobby or the center market aka food court. But yes there is an internal bus system that stops at every major stop on the resort grounds. Hope this helped ;)

Worldlover71

At FW you take a bus to the depot where you transfer to another bus to the parks (except Magic Kingdom since there is a boat.) At CBR, the buses are "local" but you only have to wait for and take one. Just something to keep in mind.

cslafferty

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I decided to book CBR. After adding on the cost of the golf cart, it wasn't worth the extra cost. We won't be spending much time at the resort - if we were, then I'd probably go with the cabin. It's definitely something I'd like to try someday.

slappy magoo

Just out of curiosity, was CB the only mod resort with a free dining option, or was it the mod you preferred?

Personally, were I staying at a mod, I'd probably choose Coronado, especially during a free dining promotion (IF it were an option, of course). Because it has more dining options, if it wound up being difficult to find restaurants in the parks with openings for reservations, you always could go back to your resort, have dinner there. Or wake up (if you're an early enough riser) and be able to have a sit-down breakfast before heading to the parks. CB has one sit-down restaurant, it's generally considered one of the worst on property, and it's only open for dinner. The consensus tends to be "eat there if there are no other options."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom