Trip Report Caribbean Beach Spring Break Trip - Lounging Around

Hey y'all! I have all my pictures uploaded to Flickr, so I guess I'm ready to go with this report. I didn't take notes, so just be prepared for a lot of "I think we did ____ next....wait no, I'm 16% sure we did ____....or wait. I don't know"

You ready?

WHO: Me (alone for the first day) & my husband, R.
WHY: We have APs and I had to be in Tampa for work so DUH
WHERE: Caribbean Beach
WHEN: April 9, 12-16

Mrhappyplace

Pulled Pig Slider with Coleslaw and Crispy Onions – $6.00

I feel slightly cheated now ours didn't include the crispy onions.

I swear some of these trip reports are going to make finally bite the bullet and get a good camera...even though I know my photos won't look half as good, even with operator ignorance, they gotta be better than an iPhone, right?. lol.

I'm a novice at photography and while I think I occasionally get a good photo on my Samsung Galaxy I usually like the ones I take on my cheapest I can find real camera. If you are willing to drop a couple of hundred bucks on a camera to see if you like your results better go for it, if not you could also try renting a nice camera sometime.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I just went looking on Etsy for the Moana ears. You probably already know this, but you are in the picture. I got so excited like I was seeing a famous person!
Hahaha! I'm hardly famous. I noticed it on there the other day when I was looking to buy another pair of ears. I'm addicted!

Epcot looks like it would be amazing during Flower and Garden, and your pictures are too great!!!

I swear some of these trip reports are going to make finally bite the bullet and get a good camera...even though I know my photos won't look half as good, even with operator ignorance, they gotta be better than an iPhone, right?. lol.
Flower and Garden is wonderful! Epcot is so gorgeous all decked out in flowers. I would definitely give a dslr or a mirrorless a shot. Watch some youtube tutorials about how to use whichever camera you get and start practicing! Photography is a lot of fun, whether you do it for a career or as a hobby :)

Glad to see you received a very appropriate egg prize Sherriff - did you get to pick or were you just lucky
Doc Disney said it was challenging so using the hints or not just boils down to how hard you want it to be.
It get the whole thing over much easier
Your report breaks down all the details and you didn't have to exaggerate how much fun it was.

Enough for now or should I carry on??

Oh and R's look at you in the ride photo looked a little cold.

Max
I got to pick the egg! If I recall, there were at least 6 options. I originally wanted Stitch until I saw that Woody was an option. That was a no-brainer. Are you talking about in Frozen? :hilarious: I guess that's appropriate. haha!

I read through your Disneyland TR from last summer (I had not read it before and enjoyed it)
and found this..
View attachment 203242

Too funny

But please tell me you love these rides because if I based it solely on the ride photo I would think you didn't

Max
Ah, yes, another example of where I lost my cool before the photo was snapped. I truly LOVE Splash Mountain, but the drop is terrifying. What's life without a little terror now and then though?

Finally all caught up!:) Thank goodness you had a wedding to shoot or I would still be super behind.:p
Your photos are amazing, and I love your on-ride photo expressions. The Splash ones are too funny.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
So glad you're following along! Yeah I'm slow about updating on the weekends because I'm either relaxing with a good book or working a wedding. I'm going to try to post a couple more installments today though!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Day 6 continued

Sorry to have cut the last one short, but let's jump back into our Epcot evening.

The Garden Rocks concert for the next few days was Gin Blossoms. I had no idea who they were, but R knew a few of their songs, so we had planned to try and catch the show. We grabbed a beer from the Block & Hans booth and grabbed a seat about halfway down the middle section. It was a great view except for the tree in front of us. I didn't mind though, I just leaned to the right for pictures.

It was pretty good! It was a very relaxing 20ish minutes just sitting in the shade. I definitely recommend stopping and enjoying a show there if one happens to be going on. It's a relaxed vibe, kind of like any outdoor amp concert. I know a lot of towns have those, and this had a similar feel.

After the show, we headed over to Japan to try something from the kiosk there.

They have a Minnie head instead of the traditional Mickey.
  • Frushi: Fresh Pineapple, Strawberry and Melon rolled with Raspberry Coconut Rice, sprinkled with Toasted Coconut and Whipped Cream on the side (V) – $5.75
  • Ahi Tuna Poke Sesame Ginger – $8.00

I honestly never thought I'd say this about something from a festival kiosk, but the tuna poke serving was too big! There are only so many pieces of raw fish I can stand to eat, and this surpassed that threshold. I would rather then cut the serving (and the price) in half.

Ok now let's talk about the frushi. I cannot figure out why this stuff is so popular. It was just downright weird. The coconut rice had a weird mushy texture that just didn't work for me. I guess the flavors were alright, but the texture was bleah... I will let the rest of y'all have all the frushi :joyfull:

We walked through the store in Japan again, and on the way out I saw some mochi at one of those little stands!

I love this stuff. I complain about the texture of frushi, but mochi has a weird texture too :D. I just like it for some reason! R was not impressed.

We kept walking around World Showcase and I kept taking pictures.

We stopped by Taste of Marrakesh next
  • Merguez “Hot Dog” Sausage: Spicy Beef and Lamb with Satueed Onions and Green Peppers – $6.00
  • Baklava (V) – $4.00

R loved that sausage, and I looooooooved the baklava. It seemed to be the same as the year before. There was one year is was in a different form, like a little triangle, and I liked that better, but the roll is fine too.

Well by this time, we were pretty tired and figured we'd had enough to eat (too much really...). We decided to just check on the line at La Cava as we made our way out of the park, and wouldn't you know it? NO LINE! What?! Almost every time we check it's a huge line, but there was none. I guess with the kiosks offering so much, not as many people go in there.

R got his jalepeno one and I decided on the horchata one. It's almost too sweet, but I was fine with that. It's just so delicious!

We took them to go and found a bench to sit on near the fountain.

We actually got to see the fountain "show"! I don't know if it has a name or anything. It was lovely!

We were there for a good 20 minutes. R has to drink that jalepeno margarita slowly or it will make him sick.

Bye Figment!

Since we left before Illuminations, we got back to our room by a little after 9. It was nice to go to bed early (like we do at home...we sleep a lot).

Up next: Last day!

Mrhappyplace

Day 6 continued

Sorry to have cut the last one short, but let's jump back into our Epcot evening.

The Garden Rocks concert for the next few days was Gin Blossoms. I had no idea who they were, but R knew a few of their songs, so we had planned to try and catch the show. We grabbed a beer from the Block & Hans booth and grabbed a seat about halfway down the middle section. It was a great view except for the tree in front of us. I didn't mind though, I just leaned to the right for pictures.

It was pretty good! It was a very relaxing 20ish minutes just sitting in the shade. I definitely recommend stopping and enjoying a show there if one happens to be going on. It's a relaxed vibe, kind of like any outdoor amp concert. I know a lot of towns have those, and this had a similar feel.

After the show, we headed over to Japan to try something from the kiosk there.

They have a Minnie head instead of the traditional Mickey.
  • Frushi: Fresh Pineapple, Strawberry and Melon rolled with Raspberry Coconut Rice, sprinkled with Toasted Coconut and Whipped Cream on the side (V) – $5.75
  • Ahi Tuna Poke Sesame Ginger – $8.00

I honestly never thought I'd say this about something from a festival kiosk, but the tuna poke serving was too big! There are only so many pieces of raw fish I can stand to eat, and this surpassed that threshold. I would rather then cut the serving (and the price) in half.

Ok now let's talk about the frushi. I cannot figure out why this stuff is so popular. It was just downright weird. The coconut rice had a weird mushy texture that just didn't work for me. I guess the flavors were alright, but the texture was bleah... I will let the rest of y'all have all the frushi :joyfull:

We walked through the store in Japan again, and on the way out I saw some mochi at one of those little stands!

I love this stuff. I complain about the texture of frushi, but mochi has a weird texture too :D. I just like it for some reason! R was not impressed.

We kept walking around World Showcase and I kept taking pictures.

We stopped by Taste of Marrakesh next
  • Merguez “Hot Dog” Sausage: Spicy Beef and Lamb with Satueed Onions and Green Peppers – $6.00
  • Baklava (V) – $4.00

R loved that sausage, and I looooooooved the baklava. It seemed to be the same as the year before. There was one year is was in a different form, like a little triangle, and I liked that better, but the roll is fine too.

Well by this time, we were pretty tired and figured we'd had enough to eat (too much really...). We decided to just check on the line at La Cava as we made our way out of the park, and wouldn't you know it? NO LINE! What?! Almost every time we check it's a huge line, but there was none. I guess with the kiosks offering so much, not as many people go in there.

R got his jalepeno one and I decided on the horchata one. It's almost too sweet, but I was fine with that. It's just so delicious!

We took them to go and found a bench to sit on near the fountain.

We actually got to see the fountain "show"! I don't know if it has a name or anything. It was lovely!

We were there for a good 20 minutes. R has to drink that jalepeno margarita slowly or it will make him sick.

Bye Figment!

Since we left before Illuminations, we got back to our room by a little after 9. It was nice to go to bed early (like we do at home...we sleep a lot).

va

Up next: Last day!

Gin Blossoms was the only act playing that I really would have wanted to be playing during our vacation.

I'm quite impressed by how many things you sampled from the F&G booths. There were only a few that I wanted to try and didn't but I'm guessing that you two tried nearly 75% of the offerings!

MySmallWorldof4

I am with you on the frushi. My one kid loves it. I just don't get. :confused:
Is the mochi in a stand in the store or is it outside at a kiosk. The same kid who loves frushi, always talks about how she wants to try mochi. We don't have any store by us within a reasonable distance that sells it.:rolleyes:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Gin Blossoms was the only act playing that I really would have wanted to be playing during our vacation.

I'm quite impressed by how many things you sampled from the F&G booths. There were only a few that I wanted to try and didn't but I'm guessing that you two tried nearly 75% of the offerings!
They were good! I probably would have liked it more if I knew the songs, but I still quite enjoyed it. Haha we did try a lot!! We ended up getting something from every kiosk except for the Joffrey's specialty offerings. I didn't expect us to get that much, but I guess since we shared everything, we managed. It was way too much much money...I really shouldn't think about it.

Is the mochi in a stand in the store or is it outside at a kiosk. The same kid who loves frushi, always talks about how she wants to try mochi. We don't have any store by us within a reasonable distance that sells it.
It was at a stand. When you exit the back of the store (past the Kawaii gallery exhibit) and walk down the middle of the pavilion, there are little stands on both sides. This one was on our left as we were walking back toward the lagoon. There was a little fridge with a few things there on the end of one of them. I haven't noticed it before, but I may have just overlooked it! Hopefully it'll still be there for your next trip. My cousin lived in Hawaii for a while and I guess they have a lot of it there, so she got me hooked on it when I visited.

gwhb75

When I made it to my doom buggy, I made sure to sit on the left side of it so I didn't end up in a @TrolleyFollower91 situation :hilarious:

I'm guessing she had something other than a ghost riding with her? My wife and I had a similar situation on the PeopleMover. I made the "mistake" of sitting next to her instead of across from her (only a mistake from a "should have taken that seat across from her" POV, not a "I don't like sitting next to my wife" POV) and ended up with a Mom and her teenage son jumping in with us. Awkward...

Enjoying the trip report so far

How did you like the solo day?

Last edited:

PrincessL

I just noticed that today! So funny. I'm glad she's getting some use out of the picture. I always like seeing how the ears look on a person instead of just sitting there. It helps to see the size of them.
It was a tough choice but I went with Rupunzel and they already came! Thanks for the idea and posting her Etsy site:)
IMG_3347.JPG

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I'm guessing she had something other than a ghost riding with her? My wife and I had a similar situation on the PeopleMover. I made the "mistake" of sitting next to her instead of across from her (only a mistake from a "should have taken that seat across from her" POV, not a "I don't like sitting next to my wife" POV) and ended up with a Mom and her teenage son jumping in with us. Awkward...

Enjoying the trip report so far

How did you like the solo day?
Ugh I hate squeezing onto to rides with other people, even on stuff like Pirates. I can't imaging doing that on PeopleMover! How awkward :hilarious:

Solo day was pretty fun! I left earlier than I thought I would. I guess I'm not as much of an introvert as I thought. haha

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Last Day :(

We slept WAAAAAY in on this day. We had no plans for the morning. I contemplated getting up and going to MK to see the new welcome show. R had no desire, and I eventually just decided not to. I wasn't sure if they did the welcome show at actual park opening or when extra magic hours started. I didn't want to get there at 7 for nothing!

So anyway, we finally got going at about 10, and decided to go to Epcot for some lunch.

Every trip since our honeymoon, we've eaten the fish n chips from Yorkshire County Fish Shop. Now R is convinced we'll have to drop the tradition eventually, but I insisted on keeping it alive for at least one more trip.

We got there right around 11, so there was hardly anyone there yet and we sat by the water. It was SUPER windy. I feel like it always is on that little patio area to the right of the restaurant. Despite that, it was very pleasant.

When we finished up lunch, we headed back out. We had planned to spend the afternoon and evening at Animal Kingdom, so that's where we were headed. We didn't have any FPs until after 2 though, so we weren't in a hurry. We stopped and got one last treat on the way out.

This one didn't have a little flower in it. I was fine with that because I didn't have to decide whether or not I was supposed to eat it.

Bye, flowers! I miss this beautiful sight.

On the way out of Epcot, I stopped and got a hat. This is the second time I've gotten a hat at Disney World...and it's the only place I really wear them. But even with sunglasses on, it's SO BRIGHT in the middle of the day. The hat helps a little.

So we hopped on a bus to Animal Kingdom, and I don't remember running into any snags. We arrived and got into the park pretty quickly. I didn't carry a bag on any of these days when I was there with R, so we didn't have to do bag check.

Here we are! And there's my hat. R didn't like it, but I love the design! I am SO PICKY about everything. There's no rhyme or reason to what I like and don't like. Shopping for clothes is a nightmare, honestly. But anyway, this hat jumped out at me, and it was the only one I wanted to spend my hard-earned dollars on :D

I just spent a few minutes staring at this picture, trying to figure out why I took it. But then I saw the little guy (or gal?) hiding behind the plant. I remember now that we saw him chilling there as we were walking into the park.

We didn't have anything in the plans for a while, but it was close to 1pm, so we decided to head to the Festival of the Lion King show. They had just opened the doors as we were walking up, so we didn't have to wait long.

I HATE how they seat people in here. It's always so confusing, and I inevitably walk somewhere I'm not supposed to and get yelled at by a cast member. I'd almost rather come in right as the show is starting and let them just put me in an open space instead of me trying to figure out where the heck they're trying to direct me. /rant

bleah...that last one is super grainy.

I didn't take my longer lens, so I didn't take as many pictures in there. The show was lovely as usual! We missed our favorite tumble monkey, and I felt like the singers were the B-group, but everything was still good.

Well after the show, we still had some time to kill, and I remembered hearing that the new lounge was nice, so we headed that way. And here I present the best kept secret in Animal Kingdom (not for long): Nomad Lounge

We chose to sit at a table along the water's edge instead of the cozy couch, since it was just the two of us. But those couches look so comfy! Our server was quirky, but he was super nice and helpful with his recommendations.

Here's what we ordered:
Snow Leopard Salvation
Snow Leopard Vodka, Belle de Brillet Pear Liqueur, Mint, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Beer

So yummy! And so refreshing on a warm day.

Tempting Tigress
Russell's Reserve 10yr Bourbon, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Tamarind Syrup, and Lime Juice

Pork Ribs
Honey-glazed, Coriander-spiced

This was after we'd split them. They are brought out in more of a stack. They were good! Not the most tender ribs I've had, but the flavors were great.

The water wasn't super visible, but the plants along it's edge were pretty too. Here's what was to our right.

I believe we may have ordered another drink, but I didn't take pictures, so maybe not. Either way we just chilled there for a good while and it was wonderful. I highly recommend this place! I suspect it will not be so quiet once Pandora opens because it's right there at the entrance to the land. Right now it's out of the way (it's where Tiffin's is), so people don't know it's back there. We were joking that it's the first and last time we'll get to enjoy it like that.

After we left our little place of solitude, it was back into the sweaty masses for our first FP.

Up next: Safari time!

blreinsel

I've been wondering the same thing about the welcome show... It's one of those things that I used to know but then it became such a simple piece of Disney knowledge that I can't remember the answers anymore (if that makes sense). :eek: Lol. So... does the welcome show happen for EMH or at regular park opening? Somebody? Anybody!?

I fully expected your "final treat" to be caramel popcorn.. Keeping me on my toes. ;)

I always consider buying a hat at Disney but then talk myself out of it because I'm just like you... I wouldn't wear it at home. One of these days "vacation me" is just going to make an impulse buy. :rolleyes:

Nomad Lounge looks so wonderful... But I totally agree that it's going to be a madhouse once Pandora opens. I'll probably never get to enjoy the solitude the way that you did. :( But what a fun memory for you and R!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Last Day continued

We ended up in the handicap row on the safari, so didn't have to share our space. Yay!

We had a nice safari ride, and I took a few pictures of course.

The hippos were active!! There were two in the water splashing around. This is the first time I've EVER seen them moving around. What a treat!

The giraffes were also out and about. They're usually up on a little hill all together (in the trees), but they were milling around. They must have just been fed.

Sweet little baby elephant

There were three ostriches sitting right on the side of the path, I mean they were like 5 feet from the vehicle, and they were just sitting there grinning at us :joyfull:. I didn't even notice them until the guide pointed them out because they blended in with the surroundings! Then I couldn't stop laughing at how goofy they looked. I would have sworn they were fake if I hadn't done this ride before!

Overall this was one of my favorite safari rides.

After we left there we had some time before our next FP.

We stopped and got a picture.

R thought this one looked so awkward, but I like it.

As we were passing by, I noticed Baloo and King Louie were out meeting, and I've always wanted to do that, so I got in line and R went to find a place to sit.

Unfortunately I stood there for about 5-10 minutes without the line moving at all, and I was quite far back. At this rate, it would be over 30 minutes of waiting, and it wasn't worth that. But R had found a good spot to sit, so I joined him.

I caught most of the Flights of Wonder show with him. It was great as usual.

After that we headed over to our FP. We still had some time though, so we grabbed a Golden Monkey and shared it. We sat by the water where Rivers of Light is. It was pretty hot, so it wasn't the most comfortable place to sit...so eventually we moved to some shade across from Everest.

It was finally time for our FP!

Don't let that face fool you, he loves it.

It was a great ride, as usual! I wish we could have ridden a couple more times, but alas....spring break crowds (am I right, @Tuvalu ?...see you're not the only one complaining).

Up next: Dinner

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom