News Caribbean Beach Expansion

IMFearless

That's what I'm wondering about also. I don't want our first trip to be dealing with DH asthma getting worse due to a ton of dust being thrown around, and just noisy as heck.

Personally, having seen the construction over at the Poly during 2014/2015 and the way guests had to work around that upheaval I would be inclined to switch if you are able.

I am not usually fussed about renovation/maintenance type construction as it impacts a small area of a resort but this seems to be a resort wide project that is much more than standard room refurbs. Looking at the state Hollywood Studios is currently in, Disney seem to be tolerating much more disruption that directly affects guests than they did in the past. The trouble is construction at a park impacts on the days you visit the said park, this affects the whole trip.

SpaceMountain77

A modern, multi-level condominium association, offered through Disney Vacation Club, is planned for Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Oh, the planned model and possible sight lines must be breathtaking. I will gladly pay $175 per point and finance at a rate of 15.75% for this thoughtfully executed addition . . . . .

1328004410_hotel_bg_01.jpg

Thank you, Disney Vacation Club, for providing me with a minimally-themed, boxy structure, which clearly captures the original charm and magic of this Disney resort. The Villas at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort will certainly offer a lifetime of memories year after year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Have they given an actual start date on this? And does Disney notify people that have reservations during that time?

The permit say 2017, but this type or permit usually precedes construction by several months. With that said, there was a notice of commencement for this project the other day to move some utilities so it looks like some work is starting now.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Personally, having seen the construction over at the Poly during 2014/2015 and the way guests had to work around that upheaval I would be inclined to switch if you are able.

I am not usually fussed about renovation/maintenance type construction as it impacts a small area of a resort but this seems to be a resort wide project that is much more than standard room refurbs. Looking at the state Hollywood Studios is currently in, Disney seem to be tolerating much more disruption that directly affects guests than they did in the past. The trouble is construction at a park impacts on the days you visit the said park, this affects the whole trip.

Looking at the resort layout, they could close off that entire quadrant of the resort and it wouldn't affect anyone. At the Poly, the buildings were 20 feet away from guest areas. Not a similair comparison.

IMFearless

Looking at the resort layout, they could close off that entire quadrant of the resort and it wouldn't affect anyone. At the Poly, the buildings were 20 feet away from guest areas. Not a similair comparison.

My point is, the situation at the Poly was allowed to happen by management. They felt that it was an acceptable situation.

Therefore, I am concerned that my definition of what is acceptable and what the management of Disney think is acceptable is not quite the same.

Frankly, I would have been disappointed if I was staying at the Poly throughout some phases of the construction that was going on there recently. I would rather switch to a different resort as opposed to wait 8 months and potentially face a hot mess on arrival.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
My point is, the situation at the Poly was allowed to happen by management. They felt that it was an acceptable situation.

Therefore, I am concerned that my definition of what is acceptable and what the management of Disney think is acceptable is not quite the same.

Frankly, I would have been disappointed if I was staying at the Poly throughout some phases of the construction that was going on there recently. I would rather switch to a different resort as opposed to wait 8 months and potentially face a hot mess on arrival.

No, I agree with you. I just don't think it will be as bad and impactful as the Polynesian Renovations.

Wendy Pleakley

Re: January/February stays:

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort!

In an effort to continually improve the Guest experience, we often refresh our offerings and atmosphere. In preparation of your upcoming stay, we would like to make you aware of Resort refurbishment work that will be taking place during your visit.

We are pleased to share that we are working to enhance our Resort with the addition of a new food and beverage location. During your stay, it is possible you will see and hear construction in progress specifically around the pirate-themed rooms in the Trinidad South region of the Resort. Though some disruption may be unavoidable, we are making an effort to minimize the impact on your experience. As a result, any work most likely to cause a noise impact will not begin until 9:00am.

Additionally, the Trinidad South Pool will be unavailable due to refurbishment. During this time, we invite you to make a splash at any of our five other leisure pools and our Fuentes del Morro Pool featuring a waterslide!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
A modern, multi-level condominium association, offered through Disney Vacation Club, is planned for Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Oh, the planned model and possible sight lines must be breathtaking. I will gladly pay $175 per point and finance at a rate of 15.75% for this thoughtfully executed addition . . . . .

View attachment 184974

Thank you, Disney Vacation Club, for providing me with a minimally-themed, boxy structure, which clearly captures the original charm and magic of this Disney resort. The Villas at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort will certainly offer a lifetime of memories year after year.

I do not think Disney Vacation Club is going to be building something like that picture. It would be a big departure from anything they have ever done.

Jon81uk

The problem is, there are only water-view rooms available at POR for our dates, which adds an additional £500 / $650-ish to the cost of the vacation. Not best impressed with Disney, as I would really expect to be comp'd the upgrade charges - I don't really see it as an upgrade

If you'd waited til they actually confirmed construction work then you would have got some compensation. We got $100 per night (as room credit but could have used it as £900 towards a resort switch) due to construction at Wilderness Lodge. But until Disney actually announce construction all you have is a rumour on a forum, even if there are permits filed. But if you have booked before they announce you should be able to get something. Altough this is all irrelevant now you have switched resorts.

For what it's worth I loved Port Orleans.

SpaceMountain77

I do not think Disney Vacation Club is going to be building something like that picture. It would be a big departure from anything they have ever done.

I encourage you to visit Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Walk around the Big Pine Key, Boca Chica, Conch Key, Sago Cay, and Sugarloaf lodges. Notice the cupolas and turrets. Take notice of the small finials that cap each of the dormers. Attend to the variegated rooflines and roof accents.

When you have finished. Walk around the Villas. The T-shaped structure is a classic Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) design. There may be some nods to the original structures, but the exterior's architectural essence is far more Crowne Plaza than it is Grand Victorian.

travellerman

I'm not too good with maps and such, so just making sure I understand this. The construction area is at Barbados, not Trinidad South? We're staying in a pirate room and really looking forward to it. Just want to make sure what i'm reading isn't affecting the rooms where I"m staying. The main pool isn't affected is it?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm not too good with maps and such, so just making sure I understand this. The construction area is at Barbados, not Trinidad South? We're staying in a pirate room and really looking forward to it. Just want to make sure what i'm reading isn't affecting the rooms where I"m staying. The main pool isn't affected is it?

The main part of the construction is in Barbados and Martinique. It looks like a good part of those sections will go away.

COProgressFan

I encourage you to visit Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Walk around the Big Pine Key, Boca Chica, Conch Key, Sago Cay, and Sugarloaf lodges. Notice the cupolas and turrets. Take notice of the small finials that cap each of the dormers. Attend to the variegated rooflines and roof accents.

When you have finished. Walk around the Villas. The T-shaped structure is a classic Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) design. There may be some nods to the original structures, but the exterior's architectural essence is far more Crowne Plaza than it is Grand Victorian.

It's really such a shame the GF Villas are the architectural equivalent of Grand Floridian "Light". Unfortunately the building looks like a cheap knockoff of the original designs, lacking much of the the original details that the original buildings contain. As such, it stands out, and not in a good way. There was no reason they couldn't have fully incorporated the design elements of the original buildings into the DVC building, other than cost. What we have now is just a dumbed down version of the otherwise outstanding design of the GF. It's a shame too, because it appears that they did spend decent money on the interior.

If you ever read the Disney Architecture of Reassurance book from 1990s, or consider Michael Eisner's thoughts about architecture (...a bad movie will just be forgotten about, but a bad building you're stuck with...), or remember when Wing Chao was with Disney, it will sadden you how much things have changed in last 10-15 years at WDW.

surfsupdon

I'm curious what the overall improvement would be for the existing structures. There is a lot we still do not know.

Will Custom House still stay as a separate check in area? Will this new structure hold a food court, restaurant, shop on the first floor? If so, this is still quite a hike away from the Trinidads and Jamaica. OPR is centrally located. But I guess they don't want to flatten Trinidad North and make that area the new structure. Will OPR continue to house its current line up?

And now a CBR construction update saying a new food and beverage location to be located in Trinidad South?? What the heck?? But good.

Curious to see how this all comes together. Like I said, I have always enjoyed my dozens of stays at Caribbean Beach back in my youth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom